Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

Having been using Canon system since 1980s, I used to only come to this site for news/speculations for upcoming photo gears. In the last couple of years, however, I found I’ve been spending more time on Fuji and Sony rumor sites, partly because those sites are updated more often with more interesting products. While I still haven’t pulled the trigger to go with another system, the recent release of Canon cameras has been quite boring, more of repackaging old stuff than interesting innovation.

One can always argue that Canon sells more than anybody else. Maybe just for now. Competition is catching up quickly. I’d be really interested to see the sale numbers for R7 and R10 and the two “crappy” RF-S lenses.

Upvote 0
To me, the great thing about the R full frame system, especially the lenses, is that Canon added several great feature while newly designing old EF lenses. The UWA zooms got wider, we have F2 zoom lenses (and hopefully trinity at some point) the RF 100-500mm, the superlightweight tele prime lenses.

But, for the APS-C market Canon seems to buy shying away from R&D costs. So, the two RF-s are not innovative at all and lack new features or simply a lighter design or such. And now they basically release an M camera with RF-s mount. I don't think a lot people will opt for these cameras...

I personally think it is kind of sad...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
While I still haven’t pulled the trigger to go with another system, the recent release of Canon cameras has been quite boring, more of repackaging old stuff than interesting innovation.
One of the reasons why Canon is successful financially is that they do "recycle" sensors, using the same one (with minor variations) in two or more models. I don't see any problem with this, as any sensor manufactured in the last 5 years should be good enough to satisfy even the most critical user. They also "repackage" stuff in as much as things tend to get tested in one model before being passed up or down to other models, which to my mind is a good thing - I don't like being a beta tester.

Does this make Canon gear more "boring"? Well, it may be boring to early adopters craving the latest tech, but personally I prefer continuity of design, and only value "upgrades" if they either provide me with extra tools that I genuinely need, or if they provide dramatic improvements in image quality. I don't currently see Fujifilm or Sony beating Canon on either count, at least not by any significant margin that would honestly be beneficial.

I’d be really interested to see the sale numbers for R7 and R10 and the two “crappy” RF-S lenses.
It's too early to judge, but my expectation is that the R7 will be about as popular as the D70/80/90 series, and that will be more than enough to satisfy Canon. They'll also benefit from sales of the RF kit lenses that you criticise. Additionally there will be many R5 owners, particularly sports/wildlife photographers, who buy the R7 as a second body, so it's win-win for Canon.

The popularity of the R10 is harder to predict, but it's aimed at the same novice market as those who previously would have bought Rebel DSLRs, and that traditionally has been a huge bread-winner for Canon...

If you find Canon gear so uninteresting that you are considering "pulling the trigger", it suggests to me that you are more interested in gear than in taking photographs. Perhaps instead of spending money on more exciting gear, you might like to consider spending more time "pressing the button" on your existing gear. Practice makes perfect, as they say!

By the way, Phoenix has an "o" in it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But, for the APS-C market Canon seems to buy shying away from R&D costs. So, the two RF-s are not innovative at all and lack new features or simply a lighter design or such. And now they basically release an M camera with RF-s mount. I don't think a lot people will opt for these cameras...
I’m pretty sure they’ll sell well, and if an R100 comes it will sell better because it will be cheaper.

Historically, the market has comprised three groups – entry-level buyers who get a body with 1-2 kit lenses and nothing else, and enthusiasts who buy a succession of bodies and lenses, and professionals who buy high-end gear.

The entry-level segment seems to be eroding (although it’s still numerically larger than the others), smartphone cameras have improved dramatically, and their cost has gone up as well. The professional market has also ranked in recent years.

That leaves the enthusiast market as a likely source of future revenue. The pandemic largely spared the incomes of those folks, and Canon would like a larger share of that disposable income. Canon has cited RF lenses as a growing revenue driver several times. From a revenue standpoint, focusing on FF bodies and lenses makes sense.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Having been using Canon system since 1980s, I used to only come to this site for news/speculations for upcoming photo gears. In the last couple of years, however, I found I’ve been spending more time on Fuji and Sony rumor sites, partly because those sites are updated more often with more interesting products. While I still haven’t pulled the trigger to go with another system, the recent release of Canon cameras has been quite boring, more of repackaging old stuff than interesting innovation.

One can always argue that Canon sells more than anybody else. Maybe just for now. Competition is catching up quickly. I’d be really interested to see the sale numbers for R7 and R10 and the two “crappy” RF-S lenses.
I always find it amusing when people preface their likely trolling with "I've been a Canon user for decades", as if that assertion is proof of your sincerity. But even so, I'll bite: what have the other companies released that you consider exciting? What does the Canon lineup lack? And be realistic, not "an R3 with twice the resolution for half the price" fantasty stuff.

Upvote 0
They tried that once, with a Facebook button.
That's interesting! I wonder how well it worked. The Japanese have always been strong on hardware, often the best, but never quite developed the software ecosystem of the US, China or South Korea. I hear what you're saying, that they're not trying to compete with smartphones. And look, if it sells, great, even if most of those sales results in user frustration and eventual abandonment of "the camera", and market destruction. They've dragged their feet to make cameras and advanced photography techniques more accessible and intuitive. The M50 and M50m2 menus were moving in the right direction, at a snail's pace. And Canon is the best, compared to the menu hell of Sony, Panasonic etc. So, I get it, Canon still has 50% of the (shrinking) market. And for pros and prosumers, this is really a golden era of features and options. You'd have to work really hard to buy a bad camera, at any price level. But if the idea is to convert smartphone users who want better results, let's be honest about how many of them won't understand why the new, "serious" camera and lenses they just paid $1-2k for don't approach the results they get by whipping out their iphone in 90% of situations, and how many of them will stick around for the 10k hour masterclass. 99% don't want to be photographers, they just want to take better pictures.

Edit: just wanna point out, I have no skin in this game, just commenting for fun. I'm not a photog or investor, and my opinions are worth what you paid for them. I'm in recovery from GAS, almost squeezed the trigger on an EOS R back in the day, but with my T2i and 80D going strong, with a full cabinet of EF-S lenses, plenty more learning and experimenting to try with the gear I have, maybe I can even last out the decade. Honestly, my biggest problem is just using the cameras I have. So little time in life, and carrying around bulky cameras, whipping them out and composing and chimping shots instead of enjoying family time is increasingly unappealing, though I do regret not capturing some moments later. I actually reach for my t2i and a pancake as a grab and go more often than the 80D, just for the size. Still works great after 12 years. Recently I've "invested" in some peak design products, the 5L carry case, and the neck strap, just to lower the pain threshold on carrying a camera around. If it never leaves the house, for sure it won't get used.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
You lost me at "long discontinued". M6 Mark ii is a current camera available at most camera stores and in stock. I don't disagree that it's being replaced, but this is such a simple detail to get wrong it undermines the whole post.
The Canon EOS M6 Mark II was officially discontinued by Canon Australia quite a few months ago and dealers can not order any stock because it's listed as a "deleted product line", so I reckon it's ridgey-didge gone for good. Other countries can't be too far behind as stocks deplete. M6 fans will have to accept the M system is going the way of the FD mount, and the good old faithful EF system is on the way out too. I really wish SIGMA would throw some RF mount lenses on the market to shake things up.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The Canon EOS M6 Mark II was officially discontinued by Canon Australia quite a few months ago and dealers can not order any stock because it's listed as a "deleted product line", so I reckon it's ridgey-didge gone for good. Other countries can't be too far behind as stocks deplete. M6 fans will have to accept the M system is going the way of the FD mount, and the good old faithful EF system is on the way out too. I really wish SIGMA would throw some RF mount lenses on the market to shake things up.
Plenty of M6 Mk II in large markets available for years. Amazon too. Tiny small markets maybe not so many. It will be decades before Canon will have enough inventory to surpass Sigma sales of its M series. Sigma sells EF-M lenses by the boatload to content creators. There's simply no way Canon could catch up to Sigma in lens sales for their M series because RF lenses are too expensive and theirs not enough low cost. A Sigma 16mm f 1.8 EF- M is $400. There's no Canon to match at that price point. Anyone can purchase internationally nowadays. Canon even sells M series cameras on their website. Been available all year long even today.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But if the idea is to convert smartphone users who want better results, let's be honest about how many of them won't understand why the new, "serious" camera and lenses they just paid $1-2k for don't approach the results they get by whipping out their iphone in 90% of situations, and how many of them will stick around for the 10k hour masterclass. 99% don't want to be photographers, they just want to take better pictures.
I suspect it depends a lot on subject matter. People shooting moving subjects at night or fast-moving sports will likely notice a difference. I think many people buy 2-lens kits for the telephoto capability (sales data suggest they are more popular). A high-end smartphone telephoto camera tops out at ~125mm FFeq with a small, relatively noisy 10-12 MP sensor (but good computational NR that helps to a point) An M50 II plus 55-200 gives 2.5x more reach with a much larger sensor and a lot more pixels on target.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Yes, Canon has come up with those boring APS-C cameras, the R7 and R10, with a good deal of that boring, repackaged AF system taken from the R3 that is head and shoulders better than the AF in any other APS-C camera. And their last FF, the R3, with it's eye-controlled AF - maybe not perfected yet - but obviously just a repackaged focus system from an old SLR. What lack of innovation compared to Sony, which of course has that innovative new...uh...well...hmmm...must be something.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
On this forum, as soon as someone says anything “bad” about Canon, ignorant fanboys will jump up and down.
As opposed to those predicting d00m for Canon, who are brilliant and wise and put forth calm, reasoned arguments. Except, you know, when those arguments always boil down to petulant foot-stamping that Canon isn’t making or doing _________, which is whatever they personally want and have deluded themselves into thinking a majority of other buyers want, that is spelling certain d00m for Canon if their whim goes unsatisfied.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
No reason to think so at this time. Probably Canon's best selling camera overall. Buy one of you want one. If you have the lense you want in the M sysstem, it will all last you for another decade or more.
I have it and really like it except for the red dot on hdmi capture video. The first version not Mark 2, and EF to EF-M adapter. Just bought the 28mm macro with light, and compared it with the heavy 100mm EF 2.8 macro. It is really nice to have that built in light on the lens, focus is silent, pretty fast too. My decision is buying 2 more, or another Sony maybe the ZV-E10. Small and lightweight vs imbalance is something I feel using the EF lens on the M50. The Sigma C 1.4's 16, 30, and 56 are all same price whether E mount or EF-M mount. Been looking at Sigma Art EF prices and they are double the E/EF-M, and that is why I can't see buying the R system now. I need to maybe look at the M6 mark 2 before they are all sold out.

Upvote 0