Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
So the actual problem is not your definition of art, but your definition of "creative" in terms of art. Ok.

I have no problem.

But artistic photography DOES involve "imaginative skill".

If it existed, it would.

In the case of a landscape, a photographic artist must have a mind's eye view of the end result they want to produce

Replace "must" with "may" and that sentence could be okay.

, which may or may not be targeting an exact reproduction

The camera is targeting an exact reproduction. In fact, we all argue about the accuracy of this reproduction at length - noise, DR and color from sensors, geometric distortion, spherical aberration, chromatic aberration and field flatness (etc.) from lenses.

- that's the IMAGINATION

The scene is not imagined. It exists. The way it's reproduced (NOT created) by the camera and photographer doesn't change that.

- and then they must have the SKILL to set the camera appropriately, and treat the resulting file (or film) accordingly to achieve that imagined result.

That "imagined result" doesn't really exists, for the most part. You don't imagine a scene, and then go out and find that exact scene and photograph it. You start with a scene and imagine how you're going to record it. But it's already there.

You have been suggesting photography is not "art" because it's a "skill" when your own definition of "art" includes "skill" right in it!

No it doesn't.

There is certainly photography which is definitively not art; for example test charts for the purpose of measurement, or photographing scientific specimens for the purpose of education. But there is also photography done for the purpose of artistic expression, and I'm sorry you've yet to witness any in your time because it can be truly breathtaking;

I've seen a lot of it that is supposedly in that area, and some of it is quite good (most isn't), but that doesn't make it art.

It's just a categorization. Everything that is listed as an "art" in most lists involves creating the "thing" that's produced or reproduced in your head - except photography. To me, that's an indication there's something wrong with the categorization.

It's like Pluto. When it was discovered that it not only is completely unlike every other planet (because of its size, orbital eccentricity, orbital plane and the fact that it crosses Neptune's orbit) but also that's it's much more like thousands of other small bodies, its categorization was changed from "planet" to "member of the Kuiper Belt", subset "Dwarf Planet" because it's large enough to be in hydrostatic equilibrium (it's big enough that gravity pulled it into a near-spherical shape). That's all I'm saying here - Photography is unlike any of the other listed arts, therefore it has been mis-categorized. I'm not dissing it - it's my second (of seven) most active hobbies.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

Check out Stephanie's comment

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think I may need to stop following this website.

I do find several of the threads fun and like to keep up with the latest in gear.

But, lately, I found myself wanting a 1DX III. As of today, I may have changed that to wanting two R5s (a potential "forever" camera for me).

All that, and I am completely happy with my 5DIV.....My only real "want" was a few more fps.
As long as this does not happen GAS is partially controllable:

:D

Because sometimes my GAS is worse, especially with the 1DxIII AND R5! To my defence I never had a 1D series (and the film 1n cameras I had were bought used cheaply).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

Not necessarily correct especially if we are talking about different resolution sensors for the new cameras.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Would be GREAT, but not possible, as I´m retired. No tax inspector would believe that an >80 years old man needs photographic equipment for his business :D
It is up to you, but if you are no longer a pro, then you should no longer care about CPS membership anymore: "The CPS program is available to full-time and part-time imaging professionals who meet the membership level requirements of equipment ownership and business status. "

If I were you (I no longer live in the EU), I would definitely spend ~100€ to fly to Zürich on or just after Feb 13th and would get my VAT refund, because it is Schengen Area but outside of the EU... https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...with-bonuses-and-a-giveaway.38050/post-810802

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It is up to you, but if you are no longer a pro, then you should no longer care about CPS membership anymore: "The CPS program is available to full-time and part-time imaging professionals who meet the membership level requirements of equipment ownership and business status. "

If I were you (I no longer live in the EU), I would definitely spend ~100€ to fly to Zürich on or just after Feb 13th and would get my VAT refund, because it is Schengen Area but outside of the EU... https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...with-bonuses-and-a-giveaway.38050/post-810802
The European CPS program is different. You don't have to be a pro only to register products, get points and get a free membership at a level depending on the number of points collected.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Sony fanboys are just about breathless over on DPR.
Put those Alpha’s back in the toy box because it’s 2020 and Canon is about to drop the mic.
It is totally gonna suck if this rumor turns out to be bogus.
If R5's announcement is close (about 2.5 weeks away) I will chose to believe it's rumor since in these cases this site has proven correct many times in the past.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Actually it is apples to apple since it’s a 1dxmki sensor with better signal noise and dynamic range
You are missing the point of the $. The 1dxmk1 sensor was an analog sensor with external ADC, so the dynamic range is largely controlled by how clean the environment is and how good the ADC is. Really high dynamic range ADCs are quite pricey and the shielding to keep the environment clean is also a fussy and expensive process. All the analog canon sensors are much better in DR terms than the delivered result for exactly those reasons. How good the sensors themselves are is demonstrated by the fact that they were class leading at high ISOs. Affordable ADCs just couldn't keep up.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
The European CPS program is different. You don't have to be a pro only to register products, get points and get a free membership at a level depending on the number of points collected.

Thank you for this clarification, I appreciate it. Indeed, CPS is free in EMEA. So I've just created my profile and saw that it seems to be possible to register gear bought abroad. Since I had no problem to register my gear purchased in Canada, there shouldn't be any problem for a German customer to register his gear bought in Switzerland and to have the associated benefits:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 16.45.02.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 16.45.02.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Upvote 0
5D5 always more expensive than R5.

If R5 + EF-RF less than 5D5, why buy 5D5?

No new EF lens. Canon want all EF to buy new RF. Need carrot.
Canon is still making EF lenses. Just because they are not developing new ones doesn’t mean production has stopped. The rf mount has made the ef even better because of the adaptors. There is nothing wrong with ef, it might not be as clinical as the rf but they are sharp, they have character and I think many people will take character still over clinical.

Upvote 0

I think she's a pro-troll. She comments on a few sites with some of the bizarrest, off-base, rambling commentary I've seen on a forum.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Sony fanboys are just about breathless over on DPR.
Put those Alpha’s back in the toy box because it’s 2020 and Canon is about to drop the mic.
It is totally gonna suck if this rumor turns out to be bogus.
A lot of folks have been cross checking and the rumor looks pretty much on point, but you are right about the DPR comment section. That crowd just can't believe Canon would make something like this at any price and if they did, it must cost at least $5k. I am thinking it will come in around $3500 and they are going to wet themselves. I also think it will come much sooner than July, given how short the delivery is on the 1DXIII compared to historical 1D delivery times. Canon has been stalling the last few years to get a bunch of stuff in order, both in R&D and fab. I think that stall period has now ended and we will be seeing repeated shock and awe attacks. The first clue was the VERY positive review DPR gave the 1DXIII (although the DPR fan base is still choking on that review).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0