Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Well, this body - if true - will be a big step forward, near the Sony bodies and in video even much better. There must be an superfast card inside. to get 8k/30 or 4k/120. Wow. I´d be happy with half of these video features.
Hurting, that there will be no 75MP or even 50-60. For birding each pixel is welcome....
But in some years, when the main competitor will have 100MP, we will get 60 from our favourite brand. If I can still hold such an body - as of beeing very old - I´ll definitively buy one :)

This is the R5, not the R5s. That one is coming too.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don’t think the rumor is true. Makes no sense that they wouldn’t put for instance 4K/120 in the 1dx mkiii if this was true. And why is there even a spec on the mechanical shutter?.. Normally when the release the 1D line the other cameras get some of its features. Not all of them and more. If the rumor would be true they would piss off a lot of professional photographers that went with the 1 dx mk 3

The 1-series is more than specs. It's also about reliability in tough environmental conditions and under a constant pounding in daily use.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
If one extremely shady non-authorized seller who's never actually sold anyone an actual body at the rock bottom price they advertise says it's $1,200, then, by God, it's now a $1,200 camera!

I have a friend who "found" a RED Monstro that fell out of the back of a video production van that he sold me for $999. EF mount too!

CANON IS DOOOOOOOOOOMED.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
R body might have to become a bit bigger due to IBIS depending on if they designed in enough space for the original R.
Roger over at LR doesn't think so. From his summary of the R tear-down:
"It was rather a boring disassembly, really, about what we should expect for Canon doing a Canon 6D Mark II quality mirrorless camera. It’s neatly laid out and nicely engineered inside. One thing that struck me is that it’s not very crowded inside there, or as we like to say ‘they left a lot of air inside’.
This view that I haven’t shown you yet, kind of illustrates that; there’s a pretty big gap between the circuit boards and the image sensor. If you look back at the Sony A7R III teardown (or the Nikon Z teardown to come) you’ll notice there’s not that much space inside; it’s taken up by the IBIS system which is big and thick. Do I think future Rs are going to have IBIS? No, I don’t. Canon has been very clear that they think lens stabilization is superior. The space is probably just a matter of ergonomics and perhaps heat diffusion. But there’s certainly room for it."

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-canon-eos-r-mirrorless-camera/

Upvote 0
Shooting at wide open larges apertures (f1.4 - f2) was PAINFUL and nearly impossible handheld. I found the trick to be a tripod and then trust the LIVE VIEW focusing. My hit rate went WAY up. 5 Axis IBIS plus Lens IS should all but eliminate those problems.

I see an RF 400mm f/2.8 IS in my future. Do we know if the R IBIS works with IS in EF lenses? I'm assuming it does not work as well.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I see an RF 400mm f/2.8 IS in my future. Do we know if the R IBIS works with IS in EF lenses? I'm assuming it does not work as well.
We have no news on that yet, but I bet on "absolutely, YES" provided you're using a Canon made EF/RF adapter, the communication should be flawless. My IS works perfectly now going from EF to EOS R. I see no reason this would be any different. IBIS works independently of the lens, whether it has IS or not.

Upvote 0
I think you may be waiting a long time. Maybe forever. Just because there is a 1DX3 or 5D4 or 7D2 doesn’t mean there has to be a 1DX4 or 5D5 or 7D3. New things happen. The market moves on and it changes. Successful businesses adapt or disappear.
Yeah, I adapted and moved on from the 7D Mark ii to a 90D and enjoying a new day ;)

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I'm a video guy, and I can say that if most of this is true, then it's all the camera I'll ever need for a long long time.
Well mostly agree with you. However, I wish to see the final product, the video menu, the image quality of the videos and obviously the nice color management of Canon vs competition.

In Canon we believe, but like St Thomas we prefer to check first before purchasing.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I promise you if/when you ever start shoot with close to 50MP, you will be banging your head into the walls next to your computer if you didn't either use a tripod, super fast shutter speeds, or at the very least a well stabilized lens.

That hasn't been my personal experience. But...mentally my expectations for required shutter speeds didn't change from crop. So 1/(focal length * 1.6) and with the exception of the 24-70, my lenses are all stabilized.

Never the less, IBIS on the new R's will be a welcome addition.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'm a video guy, and I can say that if most of this is true, then it's all the camera I'll ever need for a long long time.
Like me, you may want to look at the R6 rumors. I'm betting that IF this truly can pull off 4k120, it's going to have to be a 1:1 pixel ratio which would be something like a 2.5x CROP. HUUUUGE CROP. Which, if can slap on a super wide lens and you DONT need a wide shot... That works! But do NOT expect 4k@120 in FF or any sort of nominal crop. PERIOD. The R6 rumors as of this moment show 4K@60, which should be the same parameters as the 1DX3. Even with the 1.3x Crop to get DPAF, that is perfectly fine. Want FF? You got it, just no DPAF. for Video shooting I would MUCH rather a far lower MP machine (ideally 1:1 like the a7S) and damn the oversampling. Go check out the R6 rumors.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
It takes a lot longer than six months to design, source, manufacture, market, and ship a new product.
True that. But, the competition has stuff in their pipelines, too. They can play defense. They can make promises (development announcements), spread disinformation and generally create Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) that confuses the market and dulls you’re future product. There is also very real risk in announcing product early that unexpected circumstances or glitches cause a delay. You can completely freeze (or nearly) your own sales (and revenue) for months until you can ship the hot new product. Heck, even a crazy virus can close your plants. Lots of risk, not much benefit. That’s what I’ve learned first hand in the tech industry.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
That hasn't been my personal experience. But...mentally my expectations for required shutter speeds didn't change from crop. So 1/(focal length * 1.6) and with the exception of the 24-70, my lenses are all stabilized.

Never the less, IBIS on the new R's will be a welcome addition.

You expect to be able to pixel peep with 50MP and see a visible, major upgrade over a 20MP shot. 90% of my handheld shots on the 5DSR using the same routine shutter speeds and techniques as my DX2 showed marginal to little if any differences. It was only when I shoot at very high speeds or tripod mounted did the extra resolution become consistently, and readily apparent.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well I'm pretty certain Canon has multiple production lines, but keeping the basics relatively similar helps efficiencies of scale. Yeah the 1DX is a special, unique animal with its own production schedule, but they also dont produce nearly as many as, say, a 5D4 or EOS R. Think od the body starting with the 5D3. That body was used for the 5D3, 5DS, 5DSR, 5D4, and bet the 5D5.

Now look at the R line. The EOS R body/frame will be used for the R and now most likely the R5, R6, Rs. There's no real reason to vary the body in those. Now I think the RP is a bit smaller than the R and perhaps they may use that on the R6, but something tells me the entire new R line will see uniform bodies, and only the guts will be different. (Apart from R replacement for the 1DX down the road) Sensor production aside. That means the assembly line can just install one set of parts or another with presumably minimal down time. So you will have a singular production house JUST for R I would suspect.

Guts are what get assembled and put together on the main production line. Mostly by robots that have to be reprogrammed and retooled for each individual camera model. What you are calling "bodies" are housings that are already cast and machined when they arrive at the production line to be placed around the internal components of the camera after they've been assembled. But even there, there are minor differences in shapes, button placements, etc. that are different for each of the bodies you've lumped together.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
No, I agree completely. R5 and 5D5 will both happen and be about the same price. I do however believe that the 5D5 will be the final 5D body

I disagree unfortunately. I think the last new DSLR by Canon has already been introduced.

For those that prefer OVF over EVF, I would stick with existing gear until I got used to EVF - I wouldn't buy a new DSLR anymore (except 1D sports users).

The reason is lenses. With the development of RF glass and their better optical quality due to short flange distance, a DSLR photographer is handcuffing himself to older EF lenses that Canon will no longer develop. An R series camera can adapt EF lens, but DSLR can't adapt R glass.

That is a much bigger disadvantage than latency in viewfinder.

It is now an inevitable shift to mirrorless, equivalent to when digital took over from film.

Upvote 0
No, that's not true. The read noise is actually several components, some of which are after amplification. That's why the read noise goes down when you increase ISO.

How can it go down if some parts of it stay the same and some parts get amplified!? We multiply some components of the read noise by 2, 4, 8 etc., how can it go down? It's a trivial math. SNR can reduce a bit but not the noise itself!

Yes, I was. I showed that the Powershot S120 has higher DR than the 1Dx, despite WAY smaller pixels.

You showed data from unknown deceased source and for sensors from different generations and from different manufacturers. S120 has a much better quantum efficiency as far as I understand. And the early CMOS or CCD sensors had even poorer well capacity yet larger pixels, but it's irrelevant.
We were discussing the prospective sensors of the same generation from the same manufacturer (Canon), whether or not the higher resolution sensor will have poorer DR performance.

Ask yourself this question. If well capacity is everything,

I never said well capacity was everything. It's one of the important factors, but not everything. There's also noise and ADC bitness. Given all other factors are the same, reducing well capacity generally leads to reduced DR.

then why is the inventor of our sensors working on ways to build sensors with a well capacity of 1 electron? Wouldn't that be entirely counter-productive if you were right?

The answer is simple - you are wrong.

That's a totally different tech that I don't think is used in any real world cameras yet. But if you read the description carefully, you'll see that the 'well capacity' term is simply irrelevant there as there's no 'well' corresponding to a single pixel, each pixel of the resulting image will be gotten from multiple readings from multiple 'jots' at a high frequency. Accumulated readings will be analogous to the 'well' in CMOS.

So I'm not sure what are you trying to prove there. You get better DR when you have greater range of possible values from your reading.

Last edited:
Upvote 0