Canon EOS R5 Specifications

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It all depends upon what one needs their camera to do.

The difference between the 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV was significant, almost to the point of revolutionary, for me. That's because I shoot a lot of action/sports under dim, flickering lighting. The addition of Canon's flicker reduction, which the 5D Mark III does not have, and much more consistent subject tracking in AI SERVO AF made the 5D Mark IV a much better camera than the 5D Mark III for me. YMMV.
I agree, plus it got the current AF system, faster SD controller (finally!) and had major DR improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Or the rumor came straight from Canon through a couple of layers of misdirection. The only Item I question is the delivery date. The 1DX III was in DPR's hands weeks before the announcement and the availability date was very quick, particularly for a 1 series. It makes no sense that they would put a 6 month delay in a 5 series camera unless they have a hell of a lot of inventory to flush at bargain prices in the meantime.

There's also production line capacity to consider. The same line can't be making 1D Mark III bodies one day and R5 bodies the next. It takes time to transition a line over from one to the other, so it makes sense to do larger runs of each before swapping. Then there are distribution channel considerations as well. Containers do not go from Japan to everywhere else in the world overnight. Filling an entire large cargo plane with cameras (instead of shipping them on surface sailing vessels) and having it hop around the world dropping of some at each major distribution center worldwide would cost millions more.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I am sure others have mentioned this by now, but maybe Canon pushed back the release of the RS to get bodies out there with broader appeal. I suspect the RS is coming after the more popular models.

A Camera with 83MP is a market breakthrough and Canon will give it its own special announcement (probably second half of the year) which I believe if memory serves is what they did with the 5DS and 5DSR.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Please help with a list of still pros (not video) for either the R5 or the 5DSR:

R5;
IBIS
Lighter body
Higher FPS
Articulating LCD
RF lenses?
Better DR?
Higher ISO?

5DSR;
$2,000 less (grey market)
5MP more
OVF
Minimal AA filter
Available now
More EF lenses now

So the question for me is what on the R5 list makes it worth $2k more. Having waited this long for the RS, I will certainly wait for the announcement, if not some hands-on reviews.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And using a slow SD card slows down a 5DII/5DIII/5DS/5DIV. Nothing new there. Not everybody needs the speed at all, and most don't need it all the time. SD cards are WAY cheaper, even the UHSII variety.

The EOS 5D Mark II has a single CF slot. No SD card slot to slow anything down.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Throttling with an SD card has been an issue with the 5 series back at least a far as the 5DII, so nothing new there. The RII would lose 8k, 4k /120, 4k cinema format, and some AF features and very likely IBIS. Plenty of differentiation. Sony only offers IBIS on the high end because it is not cheap to build well.

The 5D Mark II has a single CF slot. No SD card slot to slow anything down.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Please help with a list of still pros (not video) for either the R5 or the 5DSR:

R5;
IBIS
Lighter body
Higher FPS
Articulating LCD
RF lenses?
Better DR?
Higher ISO?

5DSR;
5MP more
OVF
Minimal AA filter
Available now
More EF lenses now

So the question for me is what on the R5 list makes it worth $2k more. Having waited this long for the RS, I will certainly wait for the announcement, if not some hands-on reviews.
Yes.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
There's also production line capacity to consider. The same line can't be making 1D Mark III bodies one day and R5 bodies the next. It takes time to transition a line over from one to the other, so it makes sense to do larger runs of each before swapping.
Well I'm pretty certain Canon has multiple production lines, but keeping the basics relatively similar helps efficiencies of scale. Yeah the 1DX is a special, unique animal with its own production schedule, but they also dont produce nearly as many as, say, a 5D4 or EOS R. Think od the body starting with the 5D3. That body was used for the 5D3, 5DS, 5DSR, 5D4, and bet the 5D5.

Now look at the R line. The EOS R body/frame will be used for the R and now most likely the R5, R6, Rs. There's no real reason to vary the body in those. Now I think the RP is a bit smaller than the R and perhaps they may use that on the R6, but something tells me the entire new R line will see uniform bodies, and only the guts will be different. (Apart from R replacement for the 1DX down the road) Sensor production aside. That means the assembly line can just install one set of parts or another with presumably minimal down time. So you will have a singular production house JUST for R I would suspect.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Has no one seen the R6 CR2.5 rumor??m

Are you kidding? At the rate I'm going it will take me until sometime next year to finish reading the comments on this thread... :LOL::ROFLMAO:o_O

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Me for sure:
  • It was not aimed at the competition -- it was aimed at us, existing Canon owners. There was (at that time) a large pent-up interest in FF mirrorless and I assumed they'd ask for a pretty penny for it as folks didn't have to buy new lenses to use to the platform.
  • It has a 5D4 sensor + tilty-flippy + more portable body. 5D4 owners (i.e. people who pay decent money for what they need) didn't have two of those things and probably wanted at least one of them without having to downgrade to a 6D2 body.
  • The 5D4 (albeit a beefier pro product) was selling for $3099 at the time EOS R came out. (That lacked IBIS and had cropped 4K as well, btw. ;))
So I thought it would be $2500-ish. More if they spec'd it more like the 5D4, less if they came in at entry level, put a 6D2 sensor in there, etc.

Follow up question: A new EOS R body price was dropped to $1200? From authorized resellers?

- A

If one extremely shady non-authorized seller who's never actually sold anyone an actual body at the rock bottom price they advertise says it's $1,200, then, by God, it's now a $1,200 camera!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

R5;
IBIS
Lighter body
Higher FPS
Articulating LCD
RF lenses?
Better DR?
Higher ISO?

5DSR;
5MP more
OVF
Minimal AA filter
Available now
More EF lenses now

As I mentioned earlier (I think in this chain) the IBIS alone is worth it. It is WAY too hard to shoot at 50MP without some serious stabilization or very high shutter speeds, particularly at wide open apertures. You can get a 5DSR and save $1500-$2000, sure. If all you want to do with is is critical portraiture or landscaping ALWAYS with a tripod, it's a great camera. I have one. Try shooting it handheld in those conditions and you'll want to throw yourself in a woodchipper when you get those pictures into Lightroom on a big monitor. If you really want to go that high up the MP chain, you best be prepared for the difficulties of making that extra resolution usable. IBIS should eliminate most if not all that problem

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018

R5;
IBIS
Lighter body
Higher FPS
Articulating LCD
RF lenses?
Better DR?
Higher ISO?

5DSR;
5MP more
OVF
Minimal AA filter
Available now
More EF lenses now

Probably:
- Better AF
- Faster overall throughput including card writes
- Overall better sensor, not just Dynamic range
- You don't know about AA filter yet
- Less latency between shots
- EVF will probably be 5mpx, 120 htz refresh rate which should get you closer to an OVF with more data available throughout he viewfinder.
- Cool new technology!

You have to decide for yourself if you want to stick with the older sensor and less overall camera performance. The R5 pixels will be 5mpx less, but probably better "quality" pixels for capturing detail. I think you will find that you could care less about the missing 5 max. Depending on your shooting subject / style you may not need any of the improvements in the R5. Best to wait for the real spec before you decide.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Well I'm pretty certain Canon has multiple production lines, but keeping the basics relatively similar helps efficiencies of scale. Yeah the 1DX is a special, unique animal with its own production schedule, but they also dont produce nearly as many as, say, a 5D4 or EOS R. Think od the body starting with the 5D3. That body was used for the 5D3, 5DS, 5DSR, 5D4, and bet the 5D5.

Now look at the R line. The EOS R body/frame will be used for the R and now most likely the R5, R6, Rs. There's no real reason to vary the body in those. Now I think the RP is a bit smaller than the R and perhaps they may use that on the R6, but something tells me the entire new R line will see uniform bodies, and only the guts will be different. (Apart from R replacement for the 1DX down the road) Sensor production aside. That means the assembly line can just install one set of parts or another with presumably minimal down time. So you will have a singular production house JUST for R I would suspect.

R body might have to become a bit bigger due to IBIS depending on if they designed in enough space for the original R.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
There's also production line capacity to consider. The same line can't be making 1D Mark III bodies one day and R5 bodies the next. It takes time to transition a line over from one to the other, so it makes sense to do larger runs of each before swapping. Then there are distribution channel considerations as well. Containers do not go from Japan to everywhere else in the world overnight. Filling an entire large cargo plane with cameras (instead of shipping them on surface sailing vessels) and having it hop around the world dropping of some at each major distribution center worldwide would cost millions more.
I think we’ll get it before July. I don’t buy that particular part of the rumor. There’s absolutely no point to give your competition six months to plot before shipping product. Canon has a brief window of enthusiasm after announcement Before it’s yesterday's News. Sony and others would be killing the Canon buzz with their own announcements.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
R body might have to become a bit bigger due to IBIS depending on if they designed in enough space for the original R.
Good point. Certainly a factor and a possibility. Even still, that would mean all these new R cameras can still share the same frame and body

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Craig's track record with CR3 rumors is very good, so I'll take these specs to the bank even if I don't have an account with them. I will enjoy the weeping & gnashing of teeth from the Sony fanboys getting owned massively for great justice.

They'll just change their mind about what spec is most important and claim that whatever single thing Sony is better at is the one thing that really matters. they always do.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I think we’ll get it before July. I don’t buy that particular part of the rumor. There’s absolutely no point to give your competition six months to plot before shipping product. Canon has a brief window of enthusiasm after announcement Before it’s yesterday's News. Sony and others would be killing the Canon buzz with their own announcements.
It takes a lot longer than six months to design, source, manufacture, market, and ship a new product.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0