Canon EOS R5 Specifications

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Better list than mine. I don't use stabilization much, but when I'm shooting at night with the 28-70mm f/2 the IBIS will be wonderful. Can't wait.

I promise you if/when you ever start shoot with close to 50MP, you will be banging your head into the walls next to your computer if you didn't either use a tripod, super fast shutter speeds, or at the very least a well stabilized lens. Having IBIS plus lens IS will finally make these high MP cameras usable in the real world (handheld and whatnot) because right now I wouldn't dare try another shot on my 5DSR without at least one of those three things I mentioned first. Tripod or monopod is ALWAYS with my 5DSR, and I have sacrificed a preferred lens choice for a shot to use another one just because the other one had IS

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I know.

I don't consider it art unless you start with nothing, like the composer and a blank sheet of music, a sculptor with a block of marble, a painter with a blank canvas, or a sculptor with a lump of clay. Using technology to record what's already there is a skill or craft, not an art. It's the difference between the composer of a piece of music and the audio technician who records the performance in the studio. The audio technician isn't an artist. He has to have skill and that skill matters a lot for the final result, I just wouldn't call it art because it's not being created from nothing, just recorded. Like photography.

The composer starts with a piano or other instruments (technology). The performing artist must provide interpretive processes to what the composer put down on paper. It's not music until there is sound in the air. Likewise, the selection of which block of marble one starts with will affect the final outcome of the sculpture, what the size and properties of the canvas are will affect the painters' decisions, and the type/consistency of the lump of clay affects what can be made with it.

But beyond that, none of that art is created ex nihilo in a vacuum. The artist brings all that they have seen, heard, tasted, felt, experienced, to the table when they create. No one starts with a "blank sheet of paper."

You seem totally ignorant of the possibility that photography may include a scene that was created and arranged by the photographer for the specific purpose of creating that photograph, and lit only by light that was created and shaped by the photographer. Contrary to your limited idea of what one can do with photography, there are photographers who don't just find something that already exists and snap a photo of it under whatever light is already illuminating it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Question. If you don't care at all about video, what does this supposed camera offer for the still shooter? It seems like not all that much.

If specs are true, treating this as the future upgrade for 5D4 users (I contend R5 and 5D5 will have these same specs):
  • IBIS -- huge for me (I shoot in low light often, so I read this as virtual speed to lower my ISO)
  • Huge bump in res
  • Huge bump in mechanical fps, throughput, etc.
  • Hilarious bump in fps with the e-shutter
  • Most likely a tilty-flippy touchscreen, which is quite useful for stills
  • Manual focusing tools (the 5D line no longer offers focusing screen changeouts)
And we still don't know if we'll get a new sensor architecture, new focusing tools, what kind of buffer we'll see, onboard tech for timelapse or stacking, etc.

So not much to see here for stills folks, nooooo. :LOL:

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The composer starts with a piano or other instruments (technology). The performing artist must provide interpretive processes to what the composer put down on paper. It's not music until there is sound in the air. Likewise, the selection of which block of marble one starts with will affect the final outcome of the sculpture, what the size and properties of the canvas are will affect the painters' decisions, and the type/consistency of the lump of clay affects what can be made with it.

But beyond that, none of that art is created ex nihilo in a vacuum. The artist brings all that they have seen, heard, tasted, felt, experienced, to the table when they create. No one starts with a "blank sheet of paper."

You seem totally ignorant of the possibility that photography may include a scene that was created and arranged by the photographer for the specific purpose of creating that photograph, and lit only by light that was created and shaped by the photographer. Contrary to your limited idea of what one can do with photography, there are photographers who don't just find something that already exists and snap a photo of it under whatever light is already illuminating it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Ummm... Compression when recording a raw video? I think the entire idea behind raw video is that there is no compression taking place. That's what I'm asking... People seem to be unable to believe that a camera could ever handle this level of video, but my question is what does the camera really need to "process" when you're shooting a raw format. My thought is that raw video recording may be less taxing on the processing power of a camera than recording to a compressed format.

Pretty much all raw formats compress data. The question is do they compress it in a lossy or lossless way?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Question. If you don't care at all about video, what does this supposed camera offer for the still shooter? It seems like not all that much.

LJ's question is so out there, I'll flip it around:

From what we know, if the R5 as spec'd here is real and it's in that 5-series neighborhood and price, can anyone name the last time an existing Canon product line (of any level) was sequeled/upgraded this comprehensively from a stills perspective?

Compared to the 5D4:

IBIS​
50% increase in resolution​
71% increase in burst with mechanical shutter​
185% increase in burst with e-shutter​
MF assist features​
Tilty-flippy (presumed)​

Has Canon ever launched such a compelling sequel for stills shooters? Even with everything we still don't know about this camera, I can't think of a prior release that drops the mic this hard over what it is replacing.

- A

• Love
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yes, but ... Are you saying Canon can’t make or buy something faster? Limits are broken every day in tech. Business considerations aside, I don’t think there’s any reason Canon can't obtain that performance or better.

Don't RED cameras use active cooling, though? That's space and power consumption that a mirrorless camera like the Canon R series does not have available.

Upvote 0
I promise you if/when you ever start shoot with close to 50MP, you will be banging your head into the walls next to your computer if you didn't either use a tripod, super fast shutter speeds, or at the very least a well stabilized lens. Having IBIS plus lens IS will finally make these high MP cameras usable in the real world (handheld and whatnot) because right now I wouldn't dare try another shot on my 5DSR without at least one of those three things I mentioned first. Tripod or monopod is ALWAYS with my 5DSR, and I have sacrificed a preferred lens choice for a shot to use another one just because the other one had IS

No doubt. I had a Nikon friend (oxymoron?) who bought a high MP body and he told me many times how actually disappointing it was because it was almost impossible to get sharp pictures without a tripod. 5 stops plus my 28-70mm would be very welcome.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

From what we know, if the R5 as spec'd here is real and it's in that 5-series neighborhood and price, can anyone name the last time an existing Canon product line (of any level) was sequeled/upgraded this comprehensively from a stills perspective?

Compared to the 5D4:

IBIS​
MF assist features​
Tilty-flippy (presumed)​

Has Canon ever launched such a compelling sequel for stills shooters? Even with everything we still don't know about this camera, I can't think of a prior release that drops the mic this hard over what it is replacing.

- A
All of this is why this is the sequel my 5D3 and yours I assume AS. The 5D4 would have been a stopgap, to me...I'm not speaking for the industry, just my desires and needs, but still , akin to how the R is in the FF mirrorless world for Canon's entry.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If you build everything in the scene, that's art. If there's a person in it (or a plant, or other naturally-occurring object), then it's not, it's craft, skill and technique, like an audio recording technician who creates the acoustics of the room, selects the microphones and their locations, arranges the levels, equalization and effects, records and later mixes the sound. That's a highly-skilled task, but it's not art by my definition.

From wikipedia:

"The three classical branches of art are painting, sculpture and architecture.[3] Music, theatre, film, dance, and other performing arts, as well as literature and other media such as interactive media, are included in a broader definition of the arts.[1][4] Until the 17th century, art referred to any skill or mastery and was not differentiated from crafts or sciences. In modern usage after the 17th century, where aesthetic considerations are paramount, the fine arts are separated and distinguished from acquired skills in general, such as the decorative or applied arts. "

Take a look at this list:

• Visual arts
    • Two-dimensional works
      • Painting and drawing
      • Mosaics
      • Printmaking
      • Calligraphy
      • Photography
    • Three-dimensional works
      • Architecture
      • Pottery
      • Sculpture
      • Conceptual art
  • Poetry
  • Music
I think it's interesting that all those start with nothing, except photography. Photography starts with some sort of scene. If you create the scene, that's art. If you don't, it's not, at least to me.

So by your own definition, any painting that contains a depiction that the creator saw in the "real" world before they painted it is not real art? Any painting that contains a person, animal, flower, mountain, meadow, cloud, etc. is not "real" art? Because it is merely the creator's interpretation of something else that already existed?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
All of this is why this is the sequel my 5D3 and yours I assume AS. The 5D4 would have been a stopgap, to me...I'm not speaking for the industry, just my desires and needs, but still , akin to how the R is in the FF mirrorless world for Canon's entry.

It all depends upon what one needs their camera to do.

The difference between the 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV was significant, almost to the point of revolutionary, for me. That's because I shoot a lot of action/sports under dim, flickering lighting. The addition of Canon's flicker reduction, which the 5D Mark III does not have, and much more consistent subject tracking in AI SERVO AF made the 5D Mark IV a much better camera than the 5D Mark III for me. YMMV.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
No doubt. I had a Nikon friend (oxymoron?) who bought a high MP body and he told me many times how actually disappointing it was because it was almost impossible to get sharp pictures without a tripod. 5 stops plus my 28-70mm would be very welcome.

Shooting at wide open larges apertures (f1.4 - f2) was PAINFUL and nearly impossible handheld. I found the trick to be a tripod and then trust the LIVE VIEW focusing. My hit rate went WAY up. 5 Axis IBIS plus Lens IS should all but eliminate those problems.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So how does a mirror-less camera have a mechanical mode? Is this something to do with view finder vs live mode?

Most mirrorless ILCs still have mechanical shutters, where rolling shutter effects are not as severe at short exposure times as they are with electronic shutters.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Do attractive video features fit with 80MP sensors is my point and possibly why after all this time we are getting an R5 rather tha the RS?

The suggested July release seems like an awfully long time for a totally ready for market camera.

Or is it July because one (R5) just leap frogged another (RS)?

I am sure others have mentioned this by now, but maybe Canon pushed back the release of the RS to get bodies out there with broader appeal. I suspect the RS is coming after the more popular models.

Upvote 0

Compared to the 5D4:

IBIS​
MF assist features​
Tilty-flippy (presumed)​

- A
Further, some of those specs start treading on territory of other tiered cameras. If the electronic shutter is capable of managing rolling shutter with any sort of efficiency, the 5D equivalent camera will have an equivalent max burst rate to the 1DXIII and a9II, and a faster burst rate in mechanical shutter than the a9II, while having more than double the resolution of one camera, and near double the resolution of the other. If the electronic shutter turns out to be usable for action, and the AF can keep up, this body will start to enter niches which didn't really fit the 5DIV or EOS R. I mean, if this thing can track a bird in flight, the cropping options and speed together could make a convincing argument as a wildlife body.

There are a lot of remaining questions though - i.e. are those burst rates only available in compressed raw, or are we dropping the bit rate to move all that data, can the autofocus keep up, how bad will the rolling shutter be, will Canon continue their new trend of issuing really significant firmware updates, etc. All those issues will play into it, but on paper at the moment, this camera could sit in some unfamiliar territory on the types of photography it could be well suited to do. It's exciting, but I find myself getting lost in the hype - I really struggle to see this being real, but here we are with a CR3 and a number of other outlets reporting the same thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0