Canon EOS R5 Specifications

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I would choose a high megapixel DSLR over a mirrorless one to use with my big whites but Canon may not give me or other the choice.

Same here. Everyone I've heard from who owns and regularly uses a DX2 does NOT want a smaller/thinner/more compact body. Weight balancing against larger glass is one of the DX lines BEST features. If/When the 1DX line goes MILC, then I'm betting Canon is going to keep the body almost exactly like it is and just (more or less) remove the mirror, pentaprism, and push the sensor forward in the body towards the flange to get the proper RF distance. Or (the CRAZY-TOWN version) puts a sensor on a rail that can slide it back and forth into position for both EF and RF glass and have interchangeable mounts. Bat-Poop crazy but hey, that is the sort of cool stuff Canon would come up with.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I see now that the confusion about whether it is RS or R5 has been resolved... in the way I thought it would be.

I read the "5" in R5 as signifying this as the (mirrorless) successor to the 5D4. The specs make complete sense with that in mind, and in fact they look to be on the good end of "fine." That also makes sense for a first introduction of a mirrorless successor to the 5D4 since Canon would certainly want to push the specifications delta at least a bit, and a 45MP sensor certainly does that.

(Naming it with the letter "S" and calling it the "RS" would have at least suggested a lineage connecting it to the 5Ds/5DsR models — but that wouldn't have made much sense at all with these specifications.)

There might be at least a few folks who find the 5DsR to be an excellent high resolution full frame system (as I do) who also decide that 45MP is enough if it comes with these other specifications. After all, one can easily make an excellent 30" x 40" print from a 45MP full frame file.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Does the EOS R not have a wheel around the back that circles the directional-pad/cross-keys? In the manual for my 70D this is referred to as the "Quick Control Dial" and I use it all the time. Does this rumor imply it's making a come-back or is there some other scroll wheel?

Correct, the R does not have such a control. Just the D pad.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
8K?! 120fps at 4k?!

No way, not happening.

That's the two I'm having a lot of trouble buying into. But one thing that COULD make it more plausible is being able to accommodate the 4k120 externally with an Atomos or something. We know Apple has the ProRes RAW codec and even the Nikon Z series can do ProRes RAW out to the Atomos Ninjas. Could be something along those lines. But I suppose if you could do 8K in 30 you could do 4k at 100. Bout the same data. i just can't imagine this doing either but... hell CR3?!? He usually reserves that for info coming from known/reliable sources I think

Upvote 0
Is the person behind SonyAlphaRumors ghost-writing a CR post? This has got to be a contender for the biggest load of "wishful thinking rumor" I've ever read.

The more shocking thing is that half the commenters here aren't even questioning it. Did it not raise any eyebrows that the rumor has a bunch of insane specs, paired with something as silly and minor as "no touch bar"? Red flag!

Speaking of "red", ...you do realize that 8K RAW is usually reserved for $15-30K cameras, right?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Will the IBIS work with the EF Adapter as in I wouldn’t have to replace my EF 100 2.8 Macro with the L version to obtain IS with the Canon’s Mirrorless camera? That would be ideal!

The nature of IBIS designs is that its the sensor that moves to compensate for detected shake. Presumably the adapter shouldn't affect that.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Is the person behind SonyAlphaRumors ghost-writing a CR post? This has got to be a contender for the biggest load of "wishful thinking rumor" I've ever read.

The more shocking thing is that half the commenters here aren't even questioning it. Did it not raise any eyebrows that the rumor has a bunch of insane specs, paired with something as silly and minor as "no touch bar"? Red flag!

Speaking of "red", ...you do realize that 8K RAW is usually reserved for $15-30K cameras, right?
You've missed the other thread where everyone was questioning it as a CR1. This is a CR3 rumor.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0