Canon EOS R5 Specifications

never said it did, but it does mean less light gathering capabilities, thats not a myth.
With the latest tech in gapless microlenses on each photosite, the light-gathering loss is virtually zero, so I think we can finally put this one to rest. DR is effectively independent from megapixel count, in real-world use.

What is a bigger deal is, SNR and how megapixels affect the look of "grain" at various ISOs. (Personally, I welcome higher MP counts in this regard, too, because I like the finer look to "grain" (noise), but others still prefer 12-24 megapixels for the cleanest images, when incorrectly comparing them at 100% ;-)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Other than 8k video, these all look like incremental upgrades to the 5d line but in a mirrorless body. I would expect there to be a R5 and 5D of somewhat equal specs. But even the 8k video, they can surely put it in and cripple it enough that video people will still want a C line camera.... that or it being poor in practice given CFE cards at the required capacity would be prohibitively expensive.

Upvote 0

Romain

Click by chance, everyday...
Dec 20, 2016
It's wonderful stills specs.....I'll just smile and allow the video/hybrid people battle this one out while I patiently await the release.
Like i said on the first CR1 rumor... Since Z-Cam are on the market, the bottom of Canon and Sony's cine line are under threat, new technologies must be realesed. I think without a doubt we enter a new era in videography too. Canon will certainliy implement 4K 120 fps (cropped probably) in their high end mirrorless (at least one) and in their cine cameras (cropped for the bottom line, and not cropped for the most expensives).

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
NO mention here of dual card slots! should we just assume that it will have them?
Cards? Which cards? Check the rumored spec list: right at the bottom you find the really sensational news, no, it is not 8k video, it is this permanent high bandwidth smart link to Canon's new satellite system ;) This really will stuff the mouths of Sony fanboyz.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
No touch bar and the addition of the wheel is a big deal around here. Maybe not for you, but for others it is. ;)
Yeah, and that's why I'm not buying it. Sounds like wishful thinking.

Personally, I loved the touchbar, and I'm even more excited about the 1DX3's touch-sensitive AF point control stick. I loved the EOS R touchbar ever since I saw it at the press release and realized I could use it to directly control Kelvin WB, (wedding photographer) ...and I really liked the 1DX3's AF point joystick at CES earlier this month.

Time will tell, but I still think it's very odd that these are the specs that were leaked. Seems like a suspicious assortment of "facts"...

Upvote 0
Again, unless this is moving way up market from the past 5D series bodies - if this is a $6K-10K body then all bets are most definitely off.

Yes, it is moving so far upmarket, that there is no longer any higher level. Aside from weight and size, there's not much an 1D-equivalent would add to the mix.

As such, I suspect this unlikely camera would be a $5999 flagship. Maybe an R1 could be an industrial camera, with the fast ethernet ports and such that the several hundred Olympics level shooters would use, and would fit into the new robotic housings Canon is making. There's not much else it could add.

Upvote 0
Well, I think I'm going to start saving some money for this one. Sounds like it could be a dream, depending on the sensor's capabilities.
That's the first question that came to my mind: Has Canon made anything more than the most basic incremental steps toward competing on the DR front with Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No, that's a myth too.

Each gathers less, but the total is the same and the total is what matters.

Larger photosite do not gather more light then smaller ones? uuhhh, ok? sure!
I'm not going to get into a pointless discussion, read up on photosites ISO and light gathering, believe what you want if you don't want. Last reply to you my friend.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
There's simply no way a 5-series camera has 8K raw video. (it would have to be relatively un-cropped to be 8K on a 45 MP sensor, BTW) At most, I'd maybe believe 4K 30p RAW, in a cropped 1:1 pixel mode, MAYBE.

There's simply no way that 4K 120p is full-sensor. I'd believe 4K 30p full-sensor, like I said, or 60p/120p in a cropped mode.

The fishy part is that they're pairing such insane specs with a random footnote like "no touch bar", and an odd, vague detail about the battery. this just reeks of someone sitting down and writing a few random things they hope will happen.

The 8K I'm tempted to think could be time lapse as a few have already mentioned. A cropped 4K on this camera would be almost unusable at 1:1. The 30MP Eos R and 5D4 have a 4K crop factor of 1.75x already. We're talking about way more here. That said the 4K120 is really a head scratcher. The Sony A7R4 is listed at 62.5MP and can yield 4K30. 48MP with 4K60 seems plausible. but 120?? Wow if true, but I'm struggling to believe that... But the touch bar bit? yeah, that was a big deal for EOS R people because no one seemed to like it. Makes sense to throw that out as a primary mention

Upvote 0
It absolutely does. IBIS is not lens dependent.

IBIS *IS* lens dependent in that it needs communication to figure out the focal length, especially with zooms. The image compensation is exaggerated with longer FLs and minimized proportionately with shorter FLs due to parallax effect. Sony and Panasonic handle this somewhat elegantly with non-reporting lenses by having a little menu place where you can manually enter in your current focal length. (Probably a mistake to have put the words elegant, Sony and menu system all together in the same sentence. It takes me 10 minutes to find it every time.) This also enables pixel-shift functions with those lenses. This isn't a guarantee Canon will do same, but the territory is well trod.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Canon 1865 mAh, this one 2000 mAh, so there is a room for improovment.

Yeah, my third party batteries claim capacities that are usually higher than Canon's OEM batteries.

Canon need to compete on battery life. Sony A7 III & Nikon Z6/Z7 have a slightly higher battery capacity (about 2200 mAh) and Panasonic S1 have a whopping 3000 mAh battery although I heard that their cameras consume a lot of power.

Upvote 0
Well, an interesting mix of specs.
It seems somewhat more a mirrorless 5D4 follow-on than a 5Ds follow-on
Seems perfectly sensible from a Canon business POV - there are many more potential buyers for the 5 than for the 's'

However, I'm keen to see how the 'new' 45MP compares with the 'old' 50MP
If it adds multi-shot (which was great with my EF glass on an S1R) then it would fit my occasional desire for more than 50MP in a single(ish) shot.

So, to get an R5 or wait for an R5s ;-)
The video specs and FPS are of no interest for me whatsoever - another reason for it being a better commercial bet for Canon than an out and out 's' version (I'm not alone in this view, but appreciate the relative size of different audiences)

I'm somewhat reminded of how the 1DX was also promoted as a replacement for the 1Ds3 for a while by some Canon people (with a straight face) when most 1Ds3 users didn't see it quite that way ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if it said 4K 60 fps no crop, ok but... 8K 30fps? Not happening.

With 12fps, IBIS, 14.5 DR and good AF I would be sold. (45MP is low for me but I take many will like it)

In what area of photography is 45MP considered low? Are you trying to make wall sized prints or what.

• Haha
Upvote 0