Canon EOS R5 Specifications

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Like i said on the first CR1 rumor... Since Z-Cam are on the market, the bottom of Canon and Sony's cine line are under threat, new technologies must be realesed. I think without a doubt we enter a new era in videography too. Canon will certainliy implement 4K 120 fps (cropped probably) in their high end mirrorless (at least one) and in their cine cameras (cropped for the bottom line, and not cropped for the most expensives).
So I state how I could care less about video and you have to quote one and add your two cents. I really would rather have zero cents, thank you.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Sounds like this is the 5DV equivalent. Especially if the name R5 is real. But what does that mean about all the rumors that have come before this? They just evaporate?

On a side, note, I'm going to name mine R5-D4.
View attachment 188380
Sir, I applaud your taste in hardware and furthermore give you a standing ovation for not mentioning video in any way shape or from.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
This sounds like the mirrorless I've been waiting for! I'm a little surprised that there's so much doubt about it. What I still remember is NO ONE saw the original R coming. Even this site thought it was wrong. And then it just dropped. It's rare, but every once in a while, Canon blows all expectations out of the water. No one really saw the 5D Mark II being what it was either. Canon's been long overdue for another one of those moments.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Just Timelapses? With very good DR and lowlight capabilities? Need MF (with an EF adapter)? Sony maybe? Need LR presets for free because of Sony's color science?.. Switch or wait!... ;)

I'm on the edge of buying a a7 R III... What holds me back is simply the reliability and weather sealing (and a little bit of connectivity capabilities with specific ramping and motion control hardware that I use).
I'd honestly give up a half a stop of DR over a Sony if I could get a similar Canon camera. I dropped my 5d in the mud, it fell on rocks a few times in the mountains, has cracks and scratches all over it... Still works perfectly. Not sure if a Sony would handle all this.

Upvote 0
Flagship DSLR in any case. An OVF alone is probably sufficient to make a lot of people choose a 1DX III over anything Canon will release for RF system soon.

And there are so many other reasons, the 1 line isn't about specs alone.
But the thing is, I am about to pre order the 1 dx mk 3 with a 512 gb CFexpress. Here is Sweden, it will be about 9000€. With a rumour like this makes me a little nervous

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
If the specs are true, and if the EVF and a few other aspects (e.g. AF tracking) are up to my requirements, this is likely to be the FF Mirrorless that gets my money.
Canon Rumors CR3 ratings have rarely missed the mark... so I am quietly confident (and hopeful).

Plus the M6mkii offers a very useful indicative indication of what the next mirrorless FF capabilities can be....

While I'm 95% a stills photo guy, I do appreciate what helpful video functionality brings to ILCs.

I have loved Canon DSLRs since the early 2000's, and look forward to making the switch to mirrorless / RF. Having used a EOS R on several occasions, it never was the camera for me.

Looking forward to the official annoucement/s, release, etc.... Go CANON!

PJ

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If the specs are true, and if the EVF and a few other aspects (e.g. AF tracking) are up to my requirements, this is likely to be the FF Mirrorless that gets my money.
Canon Rumors CR3 ratings have rarely missed the mark... so I am quietly confident (and hopeful).

Plus the M6mkii offers a very useful indicative indication of what the next mirrorless FF capabilities can be....

While I'm 95% a stills photo guy, I do appreciate what helpful video functionality brings to ILCs.

I have loved Canon DSLRs since the early 2000's, and look forward to making the switch to mirrorless / RF. Having used a EOS R on several occasions, it never was the camera for me.

Looking forward to the official annoucement/s, release, etc.... Go CANON!

PJ
I'd love to be able to edit the menu sections in 'My Settings' and bypass the screens you don't need like well, Video. Because I didn't go to NYU.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
[/QUOTE]
I think this is the follow on to the 5dIV, not the 7d II.
Yup. Somehow I don't think Canon cares at all about that. ;) I might find a lightly used 2nd R on the cheap.
I think you are setting yourself up for disappoint if expecting a $3k price point, the Sony A7R IV is $3,498 on B&H.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
An attempt at some business logic justifying this alleged plan of Canon's:
If canon were going to shutter its cine line over the next couple of years and consolidate the functionalities in R bodies, they could expect to increase per-camera margins. They charge $16k for the C500 and about half that for the C300. If they charged $6000 for the R5 and put 80 percent of the C300's functionality into it, they'd make a much better margin based on running just one line and having better economies of scale. The problem, of course, is that there are legit cine-only pieces of functionality that just wouldn't work out with a hybrid body.

An alternative: Canon believes its cineasts wouldn't adopt an R body, so loading up the R5 with features won't actually hurt the cine business line because the videographers need their ND filters built in, etc.

The more I war game the strategy side of this, the less that spec list makes any sense - even stipulating that it made sense as a likely spec list in the first place.
They cannot charge $6000 for a 5D level camera body. This is what they charge for the 1d range. It would not make a commercial sense. Around $3750 is a reasonable price expectation in my opinion. We will see

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0