Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The 1DX III does ~ 5500*2900*60 Pixel/second in its RAW video mode, which has no AF.

That's basically the same throughput as 8K 30p RAW video, 4K 120p video and 45 MP 20 FPS stills. So technically it actually sounds plausible - this should all be without AF though! And the 4K options will get a brutal crop or have line skipping. Nonetheless, gorgeous specs. I'm hyped, let's hope this Info will actually transform into reality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 8K I'm tempted to think could be time lapse as a few have already mentioned. A cropped 4K on this camera would be almost unusable at 1:1. The 30MP Eos R and 5D4 have a 4K crop factor of 1.75x already. We're talking about way more here. That said the 4K120 is really a head scratcher. The Sony A7R4 is listed at 62.5MP and can yield 4K30. 48MP with 4K60 seems plausible. but 120?? Wow if true, but I'm struggling to believe that... But the touch bar bit? yeah, that was a big deal for EOS R people because no one seemed to like it. Makes sense to throw that out as a primary mention
8K timelapse? Party like it's 2015, Canon! (Sony A7Rii, 42 MP "raw timelapse" capable...)

I'm suspecting that any 4K video better than 30p MP4 is indeed going to be cropped.

4K 30p, both full-sensor and RAW, would already be unprecedented. It would totally steal the thunder from Nikon's 4K RAW external recording, and would put Sony's long reign of un-cropped full-frame 4K video to shame...

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I believe this rumor is true. Didn’t Canon announce a while back ago that they would step up their game? It seems obvious that Canon has to do something aggressive to gain a larger portion of the higher end mirrorless market. Sony has gained a stronger position in that market than Canon can be comfortable with.

I am very curious to see the design, the ergonomics and button layout. I hope And believe they adapt many of the 5D series solutions. I really hope they add that new AF optical AF point selector on a AF back button, as seen on the 1DXIII.

Another major challenge I wonder if Canon has solved, is the somewhat laggy response the R suffers from. By that I mean the R doesn’t really respond very fast when you press the shutter. It seems that the camera need a little time to fine tune it’s focus before it release the shutter. Don’t get me wrong, that is a good priority on Canon’s side, but it makes the shooting experience less satisfying. Pick up a 1DX and hit the shutter, compare to the R, and you will understand what I mean.

I have little doubt it will have two card slots. It will be interesting to see how they have improved the sensor performance.

Upvote 0
The 1DX III does ~ 5500*2900*60 Pixel/second in its RAW video mode, which has no AF.

That's basically the same throughput as 8K 30p RAW video, 4K 120p video and 45 MP 20 FPS stills. So technically it actually sounds plausible - this should all be without AF though! And the 4K options will get a brutal crop or have line skipping. Nonetheless, gorgeous specs. I'm hyped, let's hope this Info will actually transform into reality.
Yeah, but in stills mode, the 1DX3 also does "only" 20 FPS, yet this camera is claiming 20 FPS @ 45MP with electronic shutter.

So, it begs the question, did they limit the 1DX3's stills throughput, when it could possibly do 30 FPS or 40 FPS RAW stills, without AF?

I suspect that there is a lot more to these exciting numbers than we're getting. It's very likely that each spec has one or two serious caveats that totally changes the "shock factor" of each number at first glance...

Upvote 0
An attempt at some business logic justifying this alleged plan of Canon's:
If canon were going to shutter its cine line over the next couple of years and consolidate the functionalities in R bodies, they could expect to increase per-camera margins. They charge $16k for the C500 and about half that for the C300. If they charged $6000 for the R5 and put 80 percent of the C300's functionality into it, they'd make a much better margin based on running just one line and having better economies of scale. The problem, of course, is that there are legit cine-only pieces of functionality that just wouldn't work out with a hybrid body.

An alternative: Canon believes its cineasts wouldn't adopt an R body, so loading up the R5 with features won't actually hurt the cine business line because the videographers need their ND filters built in, etc.

The more I war game the strategy side of this, the less that spec list makes any sense - even stipulating that it made sense as a likely spec list in the first place.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
IBIS *IS* lens dependent in that it needs communication to figure out the focal length, especially with zooms. The image compensation is exaggerated with longer FLs and minimized proportionately with shorter FLs due to parallax effect. Sony and Panasonic handle this somewhat elegantly with non-reporting lenses by having a little menu place where you can manually enter in your current focal length. (Probably a mistake to have put the words elegant, Sony and menu system all together in the same sentence. It takes me 10 minutes to find it every time.) This also enables pixel-shift functions with those lenses. This isn't a guarantee Canon will do same, but the territory is well trod.
That's the same way my Olympus handles it. The point is (that I was making) that any lens will work... including EF and non-reporting lenses.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah, but in stills mode, the 1DX3 also does "only" 20 FPS, yet this camera is claiming 20 FPS @ 45MP with electronic shutter.

So, it begs the question, did they limit the 1DX3's stills throughput, when it could possibly do 30 FPS or 40 FPS RAW stills, without AF?

I suspect that there is a lot more to these exciting numbers than we're getting. It's very likely that each spec has one or two serious caveats that totally changes the "shock factor" of each number at first glance...
Electronic shutter will suffer from rolling shutter effect on moving subjects. A compromise that they would never allow on their fabulous flagship body, I think.

But the 1DX is definitely limited in it's stills speed. Keep in mind that the M6 II has a crop mode with an electronic shutter that does 30 FPS at 18 MP, and even though that's only 12 bit, it outperforms the 1DX III in speed and throughput - and that's with AF mind you!

Upvote 0

Romain

Click by chance, everyday...
Dec 20, 2016
View attachment 188382

Just please let it have good DR and low light capabilities! As a timelapser, this camera would be an absolute dream come true!
Just Timelapses? With very good DR and lowlight capabilities? Need MF (with an EF adapter)? Sony maybe? Need LR presets for free because of Sony's color science?.. Switch or wait!... ;)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
But if this rumour is true. Whats the point with the 1 dx mk 3? Isn´t the 1dx mk 3 supposed to be their flag ship in a way.
Flagship DSLR in any case. An OVF alone is probably sufficient to make a lot of people choose a 1DX III over anything Canon will release for RF system soon.

And there are so many other reasons, the 1 line isn't about specs alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
8K timelapse? Party like it's 2015, Canon! (Sony A7Rii, 42 MP "raw timelapse" capable...)

I'm suspecting that any 4K video better than 30p MP4 is indeed going to be cropped.

4K 30p, both full-sensor and RAW, would already be unprecedented. It would totally steal the thunder from Nikon's 4K RAW external recording, and would put Sony's long reign of un-cropped full-frame 4K video to shame...

Well we just got Full Frame and RAW in the 1DX3 soooo.... (as there is no mention of AF in these specs either)

And the Nikon Z I'm assuming is what you mean, and that is ProRes RAW out. Not regular RAW.

Upvote 0