Canon EOS R5 Specifications

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
As a landscape photographer who prints large, all these last couple of days have done is get me more and more nervous that a high megapixel model (equal to or North of 7RIV) may not come after all this year :/
48 MP is still VERY large...and frankly why I have almost zero interest on the R5. I have a 5DSR already. In a studio or otherwise well lit environment, I don't see this new sensor being much better in real world applications, and I would NEVER use that high MP sensor for regular use. I only pull out the 5DSR for special things like serious portrait work, and that means I have a lot of control over the lighting and shooting on a tripod anyway. That being said, the IBIS (probably) makes this R5 actually usable HANDHELD, which I can't say the same for the 5DSR short of a bare minimum 1/500 shutter speed even at 50mm.

But yeah... this 83MP thing is lurking out there too....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thank you. Yes, an absolutely fantastic trip. I will share more photos with forum when relevant.

I have got quite few in my FB, raising awareness of unfortunate Life realities of native Balinese People working hard 7 days a week with. I holiday all their life for some USD $4 a day.
Wow! You don't stay at a resort, you live with the people. Too many of us forget how fortunate we are to have been born where we were.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
If it's being announced in a couple of weeks, hopefully it will ship by May (photographic trip to Bandhavgarh, India planned). Here's hoping.
The rumour is still a July release, which seemed like a long time-lag until we heard about the potential for an R6 coming as well. And a new Rebel. And the 1D X III. That's a lot of bodies to roll out over the next few months.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
As a landscape photographer who prints large, all these last couple of days have done is get me more and more nervous that a high megapixel model (equal to or North of 7RIV) may not come after all this year :/

Based on the number of bodies rumored, I don’t think this is likely. Canon wouldn’t want to invest this much in mirrorless only to sacrifice the high MP crown*

*yeah I’m aware they don’t currently hold it

Upvote 0
Then why is he wrong so often?
I don't think he's wrong as what he says matches other sources on the matter.

The entire point of raising ISO is to decrease read noise.
You don't decrease the read noise by raising ISO at all, that's the point. You can raise ISO after ADC by multiplying the digital output, or before ADC by analog amplification. Both ways, the reading has already happened so you can't reduce the read noise by raising ISO.

Moreover, after raising of ISO, the resulting value has both signal and noise amplified. That's why high-ISO images are literally noisier.

You just contradicted yourself.

Well capacity depends on the pixel size, but also on the quantum efficiency, so the size isn't the only factor. Newer sensors may have better QE, that's why comparing sensors of different generations from different manufacturers isn't relevant.

Shouldn't be, since read noise drops with well capacity, keeping DR constant when you change pixel size. That's why pixels that are 1/20th the size of other pixels can still have the same DR. If pixel size was a key driving factor, reducing pixel size by a factor of 20 would change DR, no matter what. It doesn't.

DR isn't kept constant at all because the read noise is actually low and almost constant, worst case linear, and well capacity grows quadratically as the pixel size grows.
Also apart from the read noise there's a very significant digital conversion noise. As your well capacity drops, at some point you simply don't have enough electrons to feed the full range of ADC. If it's 14 bits, you need 16384 different values from electron counting, and very small pixels on small sensors just don't have enough capacity to feed the full range even for 12-bit ADCs.

Upvote 0
Canon has in mind our disappointment when 5DIV, 6DII and 80D came out (2016)... Between 2020 and 2022 Canon will blow our minds with amazing things for sure.... CANON IS A MASTERMIND :cool: ... Please God, make my post true!!!...

5D IV was and still is a very good camera!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
with the A7R4 being $3,498.00 --- they can't go much higher than that imo

Pricing it at the A7R4 level would be very aggressive. Would basically force Sony into a price cut. Canon cares about share, but ASP matters a ton.

This will be the new class leader, and I would expect it to be priced as such.

The only curveball, as many have mentioned, is that Canon wants people off of EF so they can purchase RF glass. Might be worth a small price war with Sony.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Based on the number of bodies rumored, I don’t think this is likely. Canon wouldn’t want to invest this much in mirrorless only to sacrifice the high MP crown*

Craig reports he hears there are FOUR R bodies en route. We now have 2 (rumored at CR3). Those appear to be the R5 which looks like a 5D series replacement /match. The remaining rumors strongly suggest an entry level body below the RP, a High MP (83MP has been rumored), and a Video driven model to rival the a7S from Sony. So clearly the R6 doesn't meet the High MP slot. That either makes it the video model based on the DX3 sensor OR the entry level RP replacement. Given the rumored frame rate and the video specs, I'm having a hard time seeing it as the bargain model. Seems more likely to the video centric model. That leaves the bargain model RP replacement and the 83MP High Res model yet to be heard from as a CR3 (or CR2.5 as Craig says for the R6). We should have something before year end if the four R model 2020 rumored roadmap holds water

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Pricing it at the A7R4 level would be very aggressive. Would basically force Sony into a price cut. Canon cares about share, but ASP matters a ton.

This will be the new class leader, and I would expect it to be priced as such.

The only curveball, as many have mentioned, is that Canon wants people off of EF so they can purchase RF glass. Might be worth a small price war with Sony.

Canon releases 5D4 at $3300ish. Canon releases 5DS at about the same price. I think we will see the same thing here with all these models (short of the bargain RP replacement) priced very similarly each with unique feature sets geared to a specific use. One all arounder (R5). One video centric (R6??). One 83MP Resolution beast with no real video usage and slower frame rates for high level studio and landscaping (R Something)

Upvote 0

I hope they release both 45Mp and 80(?)Mp versions this year. With 5DIV and its 30Mps, I can print A1 at about 200 ppi which is ok. But tbh I only printed once this size. A2 or A3+ are more common for me. 45Mp on A1 will give about 250 ppi which is plenty. However I often crop and even without cropping more pixels are better for postprocessing.

So after some elaboration I think 45Mp should be enough, especially if its DR is higher than in prospective 80Mp version. low-light and high ISO should definitely be better and it's important for nightscapes/astro.

But if they release both 45Mp and 80Mp ones simultaneously, I'll probably struggle to choose.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I hope they release both 45Mp and 80(?)Mp versions this year. With 5DIV and its 30Mps, I can print A1 at about 200 ppi which is ok. But tbh I only printed once this size. A2 or A3+ are more common for me. 45Mp on A1 will give about 250 ppi which is plenty. However I often crop and even without cropping more pixels are better for postprocessing.

So after some elaboration I think 45Mp should be enough, especially if its DR is higher than in prospective 80Mp version. low-light and high ISO should definitely be better and it's important for nightscapes/astro.

But if they release both 45Mp and 80Mp ones simultaneously, I'll probably struggle to choose.
Do not worry! Canon will not do that. They will release the 45Mp model get your money let you enjoy it a little and then... ....then they will release they 80Mp and make you get it too. :ROFLMAO:

Canon is doomed to get …. our money :D

Upvote 0
48 MP is still VERY large...and frankly why I have almost zero interest on the R5. I have a 5DSR already. In a studio or otherwise well lit environment, I don't see this new sensor being much better in real world applications, and I would NEVER use that high MP sensor for regular use. I only pull out the 5DSR for special things like serious portrait work, and that means I have a lot of control over the lighting and shooting on a tripod anyway. That being said, the IBIS (probably) makes this R5 actually usable HANDHELD, which I can't say the same for the 5DSR short of a bare minimum 1/500 shutter speed even at 50mm.

But yeah... this 83MP thing is lurking out there too....
Agreed that ~45MP is still very large, and I hear you on staying with your 5DSR for now.

I hope so! They have liked that crown to date. (y)

I'm hoping they announce simultaneously as you say, or at least disclose whether a 75/80 MP is coming soon or not at the time of the 45MP body announcement.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'm hoping they announce simultaneously as you say, or at least disclose whether a 75/80 MP is coming soon or not at the time of the 45MP body announcement.

That camera will get it's own special announcement in the second half of this year. It's way too big a deal for Canon for lump it in with everything else.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Canon releases 5D4 at $3300ish. Canon releases 5DS at about the same price. I think we will see the same thing here with all these models (short of the bargain RP replacement) priced very similarly each with unique feature sets geared to a specific use. One all arounder (R5). One video centric (R6??). One 83MP Resolution beast with no real video usage and slower frame rates for high level studio and landscaping (R Something)

I don't see an A7S-style camera coming from Canon.
1) We've seen only a few one-offs here. I can't think of something other than the 1Dc
2) It does seem like Canon prefers to put video-centric features in their video cameras.
3) What on earth would they put into it that's not in that R5 spec list?

On that last point, I suppose you could see some sort of crazy quad bayer sensor like folks have been talking about for the A7S3 rumors, or RAW or high bit rates. Seems like that would all be a lot for canon to bite off.

Upvote 0
Who the hell cares about video? I don't! Please Canon make a stills camera that has no video features whatsoever. And if you don't care about vid, this camera is a yawner. If it has super weather sealing and if it has super dynamic range and if the viewfinder is the best available, then we have something. Otherwise it's just another Canon Chevy.

Upvote 0
Do not worry! Canon will not do that. They will release the 45Mp model get your money let you enjoy it a little and then... ....then they will release they 80Mp and make you get it too. :ROFLMAO:

Canon is doomed to get …. our money :D

Nah... It's Canon who should chase us and ask for money. I have budget for an R5 or a high-res R5S but not for two R's. And I'll probably be able to keep my 5DIV. If Canon doesn't deliver something that fits my needs, my budget will go to Sony. I really hope they do deliver, I don't really want to switch.

Upvote 0