Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Apr 1, 2016
I think photography is the only gadget hobby I know of where people are openly criticized for wanting more features. It gives manufacturers excuses to be lazy and leads to smartphones that perform better than cameras.

If you seriously believe anyone needs to justify themselves for wanting more megapixels, better video, or ANYTHING, doesn't matter what it is — you should probably just go back to film. I don't know why you're here.

There are types of photography that benefit from heavy cropping. Assuming everyone is doing the same type of photography you are is extremely childish. Have an open mind. And this isn't just directed at the post I quoted, but earlier ones.

I'm just trying to point out that although the difference in resolutions at first sight might seem big, the extra resolution in reality only gets you a few more few more inch of print at 300dpi. If a GFX100 is out of reach budget wise (which I could very much imagine), and you'd like to get the highest resolution out of a FF mirrorless, it's probably better to wait for the real high res Canon option, because that's surely coming as well, and I bet the resolution will be significantly higher than 60mpix, in order to differentiate it from the A7rIV and this R5. Who knows, might be even 80 or higher.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Probably documentation, but it depends on how much of the scene they created.

I've been to many art museums in many cities and I've been to many art shows, and I've never seen any photography I'd call art, from any photographer. Some people who have seen some of my photography think it's art, even though I don't.
Its an interesting debate to be sure. And from another angle it actually shines a good light on photography over art as a lot of what is called 'art' is self indulgent and pretentious crap with no meaning behind it, rather just an aim to be lauded by pretentious and self indulgent people. But really, what my opinion shows is that art cannot really be defined as it is a completely and totally subjective concept. There is nothing objective about it

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Since I do not believe that 2 devices can connect via Bluetooth to a phone simultaneously and even so Canon camera connect connects to one camera every time we would need two phones if we carried 2 EOS R cameras. Instead 7DII and 5D4 have one. I bought the separate GPS Canon device for my 5DsR. It is very simple, very flexible and works just fine. But I wouldn't want to pay a second one. Anyway this is a minor detail. We will not hold it against Canon if EVERY other aspect is as reported here :cool:

Camera Connect on my iphone has no trouble connecting to my RP and M6II simultaneously:
IMG_F6F213494452-1.jpg

Having said that, when I go out I attach the GP-E2 to the RP. I also set the GP-E2 to log mode and keep a separate log on my phone. Now I just need to remember changing the camera time every time I cross timezones. EXIF only logs local time, not UTC :(.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Camera Connect on my iphone has no trouble connecting to my RP and M6II simultaneously:
View attachment 188419

Having said that, when I go out I attach the GP-E2 to the RP. I also set the GP-E2 to log mode and keep a separate log on my phone. Now I just need to remember changing the camera time every time I cross timezones. EXIF only logs local time, not UTC :(.
That's interesting! Thanks for the info. I use Android but that shouldn't change anything. UP to now I have 2 cameras that could take advantage of this EOS R and 200D.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
This sounds like the mirrorless I've been waiting for! I'm a little surprised that there's so much doubt about it. What I still remember is NO ONE saw the original R coming. Even this site thought it was wrong. And then it just dropped. It's rare, but every once in a while, Canon blows all expectations out of the water. No one really saw the 5D Mark II being what it was either. Canon's been long overdue for another one of those moments.

Even Canon didn't see what the 5D Mark II was going to become...

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Don't know if this has been posted before (too many posts to read them all), but there is an interesting comment in the presentation material from Canon's 2019 financials (https://global.canon/en/ir/conference/pdf/conf2019e-note.pdf):

"In 2020, although we expect market contraction to continue at a similar rate and the market size to be around 7.5 million units, we also see stable demand for professional and advanced-amateur models. In order to maintain profitability, it is important for us to secure market share and improve our product mix further in this area.

Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. We will work to raise our presence in the mirrorless camera category, leveraging large trade exhibitions around the world. Even amid increasing competition, we will expand sales of higher-end models driven by new products and aim for top market share even in the mirrorless camera market.

At the same time, we will expand our lineup of dedicated lenses launching several innovative ones that take advantage of the new mount that allows greater flexibility when designing lenses. We will accelerate sales by responding to user need to capture various images, expanding options by combining camera bodies and lenses."

Curious if that "model" is going to be the rumoured R5.
Several innovative new lenses also sounds good (just need to win a lottery...)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
But really, what my opinion shows is that art cannot really be defined as it is a completely and totally subjective concept. There is nothing objective about it
There's nothing objective about our assessment and evaluation of art, but misc. dictionaries give a good definition of art.

is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative, conceptual ideas, or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power.

So photography is art when it's used to convey author's imaginative and conceptual ideas to be appreciated. As many people, including myself, pointed out before, not all photography is art but a good portion of photography is. The technical photographic process isn't art, the way you expose the results for appreciation may make it art.
But the level of appreciation and quality of art is very subjective, yes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
These spec look great Canon and a superb edition to use with Canon's excellent RF Glass.

However don't think the 4K 120 FPS nor 8K 30 fps features will be present uncropped, expect that 4K 120 FPS could be cropped like 1.6x and 8K option could be time-lapsed option

There's not much room to crop from a 45MP 3:2 aspect to get 8k.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I'm gonna cross-post what I said in the R6 thread, since it's relevant here as well.

The more I think about the R-mount series as a whole, the more I want Canon to offer:

1) a low-end full-frame (RP, which fully replaces the 6D, the previous low-end FF series)
2) a workhorse full-frame (R5)
3) a video-oriented full-frame (a7s competitor, i.e., the camera possibly described in the R6 thread)
4) a high-MP full-frame (Rs)
5) a speed/sports full-frame (R1)

As for APS-C, let it continue in the M line and in the EF bodies, like the Rebels and 90D. If people stop buying them, so be it - full steam ahead on full-frame.

Agreed especially if there is a FF with 30+ MP crop at 20 FPS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
It doesn't make 'all' the difference. It allows to crop more and/or print larger. I like sometimes to convert aspect ratio to 4:5 or 16:9. Effectively it's cropping.

This image is one shot (not a composite) on 30Mp 5DIV but very heavy crop. I only had a few seconds to shoot it and didn't have time to change the lens to a longer one. Even at 70mm it's a heavy crop. It's somewhat usable on the web but not printable. If I had a 20Mp camera, it'd be even less usable, but had I had a 80Mp monster it'd be printable.

Not that I'm having such conditions forcing me to crop all the time. But it's my money and there are 45 and 60Mp cameras on the market already, I don't have to buy a hugely expensive GFX100.

Why is it that 6-10 MP photos produced some beautiful prints in the past and now they cannot produce beautiful prints?
Has printing capability gone down that much in the last 10 years?
Perhaps we need to have manufacturers work on improving printing capabilities back up to at least what they were 10 or so years ago.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why is it that 6-10 MP photos produced some beautiful prints in the past and now they cannot produce beautiful prints?
Has printing capability gone down that much in the last 10 years?

6mp and 3:2 give 3000 pixels on the longest side, if you print it on A2 it'll be about 130 ppi, and 90 ppi on A1. The print may be beautiful but not of the greatest quality. Any cropping off 3000 pixels will cause quick further degradation.
Also 6mp images are smaller than high-res monitors (4K+).

Upvote 0
Sure seems like a 5D mirrorless version to me. And early July shipment sure fits the bill. Would most likely get a lot of pre orders prior to opening ceremonies for many that chose to replace their 5Dmk 4 with mirrorless, especially if toting that CFespress card

Hardly. If it is any 5D mirrorless then it is on PCP, coke and steroids all at once. The 5D doesn't do this kinda of video stuff (8k and 4k 120,or even 4k full width). The 5D line doesn't do anywhere close 12fps m-shutter, or 20 fps e-shutter. etc etc etc.

If anything this is a high MP 1DXIII mirrorless, cause 20 fpse-shutter is A9 territory. Just from that alone I would guess this will be around 4-5k price point. Knowing canon maybe even close to 6k.

In my opinion, RP = 6D, R = 5D line, and this thing would be 1D line. As close to an analogy as it can be, cause of the R5 is more in the form factor of the R it is 5D form factor but 1D specs...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0