Canon EOS Rebel 750D Spec List [CR1]

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
I'm also leaning toward the guess that either these specs are just way off, or it is a non-DPAF non-Canon sensor. Although that would be interesting too because it would mean it carries the little advantages "the other mob" have (nothing that I'd give up my DPAF for but that's not everyone ...).

To me a Rebel (simpler AF, body and buffer) around the 70D/7DII sensor seemed like the next obvious step to me too.

Upvote 0
It would seem a bit strange to me that they wouldn't have dpaf in the new Rebel (s) as it is a very useful tool.
I know high end real estate photographers that use 70Ds as it is so fast to focus in live view.

Lots of people that buy Rebels use the video functionality so dpaf would be a very strong marketing tool.

Upvote 0
They won't introduce a rebel with a better sensor than the 7D mk II, neither for stills of videp. So we're stuck with soft video. The stills aree pretty good thpugh and the lowlight performance is quite great.

Anyway what seems to be a logical step for a rebel:

-20.2mp Sensor, with DPAF II, as on the 7D
-19 point AF system
-5Fps burst rate
-Touch articulating LCD works with DPAF for video
-NFC, and Wifi of course
-Clean HDMI output with audio/timecode as 7D
-60p at 1080p as 7D
-Rebel body, small plastic, adequate for consumers
-800$ price tag.

I expect to surprises. This rebel would be the logical step, sitting behind the 70D, and then the 7D II on the top.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
This rebel would be the logical step, sitting behind the 70D, and then the 7D II on the top.

It may be the 750D will leapfrog the 70D in some areas. The 70D will be near 2 years old when the 750D is announced, and may be due for a replacement itself.
Just like the 70D leapfrogged the 7D in some areas, like the dual-pixel sensor.

So it might "sit behind" the 70D in Canon's own positioning, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more advanced in some areas, and users might chose the 750D in preference to the 70D because of its capabilities, not just because it is cheaper.

Upvote 0
lw said:
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
This rebel would be the logical step, sitting behind the 70D, and then the 7D II on the top.

It may be the 750D will leapfrog the 70D in some areas. The 70D will be near 2 years old when the 750D is announced, and may be due for a replacement itself.
Just like the 70D leapfrogged the 7D in some areas, like the dual-pixel sensor.

So it might "sit behind" the 70D in Canon's own positioning, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was more advanced in some areas, and users might chose the 750D in preference to the 70D because of its capabilities, not just because it is cheaper.

I agree. These areas will be, 1080p at 60p, clean HDMI output, newer DPAF system where you can change focus speed, NFC and a few small other improvments. But the 70D would have the bigger buffer, fastee burst rate, stronger body, top LCD, more buttons, 1/8000 shutter, bigger OVF brighter, twin dials,

I would bet that would be the case.

Upvote 0
AshtonNekolah said:
vscd said:
And why a new 24.2 MP sensor for this and not the 7D2?
Is this maybe a new sensor that matches Exmor?
One could hope. Although poor 7D2.

Why poor 7D2? This is a totally different approach. The 1DX has even less pixels than the 7D2 and I would always, ever and easily take the 1DX over everything with more pixels... especially if it's APS-C, only. The 7DM2 is a quick sportscamera with everything optimzed towards speed. On sport-cars you even pay a few grands more if you have lesser weight. There is no need to have 6 seats in a Porsche. So, the APS-C will satisfy the ones who need the pixels. The 7D2 has a whole unique point in the line for a quick response and Autofocus on par with the pro-Models.

Are we again on the stupid "Megapixelomania"? Hope not.

Looks like it is to me from those comments. ;D

It is not about the mpx, it is mainly about that it indicates it is a new sensor. either newly developed by canon, or eg sony (which is not necessary new, but many claims as better).

Upvote 0
Tugela said:
3kramd5 said:
Tugela said:
Yet more Canon fail :'(

So the rumored cameras wouldn't sell well? I doubt that. Rather I imagine it will be a relative success.

I won't buy one.

Target and Walmart are popular.....that doesn't mean that they sell superior products.

People who buy the Rebels don't know anything about cameras, they buy because it has a logo the recognize on the front. It is just like those idiots who line up to buy the first iPhone the day it is released. They are clueless about the hardware, they buy the logo.

Why do you say that? Some has less money for this (hobby) and some wants smaller camera and already invested in canon glass. of course it is not the majority. I also believe less and less people buy cameras since more and more use phones and the ones who still buy, make also some research.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Tanispyre said:
If the were to use a 1.5 crop sensor instead of the 1.6, then the could make a variable aspect ratio like some of the micro 4/3 cameras for movies and still with the same angle of view.

I presume EF-S lenses are designed to just cover canon's APS-C frame, so they would likely have to disable the outer perimeter of a larger sensor, such as the ~24MP Toshiba used in the D7100 and D5200.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Canon in many ways are cutting edge in others they are not and sensors fall into the latter camp, whilst dual-pixel was cutting edge. Partnerships make sense VW/ Mercedes have a partnership in vans, BMW with Roll-Royce aero engines and Canon like Nikon could equally have one with Sony who are the sensor leaders currently.

No, what you call "partnership" is the abscence of innovation for moneysafing reasons, only. To get out of the sensorrace and use existing Sonyhardware would be a big failure. Monopolic products without any competition are leading to less innovation and higher prices on the market.

Canon has to compete with Sony, of course. But with their own ideas and knowledge. And they are capable of. They just focus on different things, in my opinion. It's like telling Sony to invent a decent DPAF sensor. In this range they are years behind... as Canon is in Low-ISO- DR. You see what happens if you put your best engineers into sensordeveloping (like Sony did): you get the best sensor but you have nothing you can call a "lens". There was no man left for developing a decent Lens ::)

Maybe Canon missed the Dynamic Range because all good people were involved on the DPAF.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Tanispyre said:
If the were to use a 1.5 crop sensor instead of the 1.6, then the could make a variable aspect ratio like some of the micro 4/3 cameras for movies and still with the same angle of view.

I presume EF-S lenses are designed to just cover canon's APS-C frame, so they would likely have to disable the outer perimeter of a larger sensor, such as the ~24MP Toshiba used in the D7100 and D5200.

That is correct, the crop factor is unlikely to change. The image circle projected by the lens would likely vinette on a corners of the 1.5 crop sensors. However, you could probably fit a 1.6 crop factor image circle with a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio on a 1.5 crop sensor. So instead of cropping off the top and the bottom of the sensor, we could extend the sides of the sensor to get the same aspect ratio, and have the same angle of view.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
I've been using Canon products since 1971, they revolutionised cameras with the AE-1 / A-1 and the introduction of the EF mount was massive at the time. Canon are great innovators but they are also quite conservative. As a result whilst I've kept pace with new Canon cameras & lenses I also invested in Olympus 4/3rds and then micro 4/3rds and I have to say things like the five axis stabilisation which Sony has just adopted make great sense rather than image stabilisation in every lens.
Canon in many ways are cutting edge in others they are not and sensors fall into the latter camp, whilst dual-pixel was cutting edge.
Partnerships make sense VW/ Mercedes have a partnership in vans, BMW with Roll-Royce aero engines and Canon like Nikon could equally have one with Sony who are the sensor leaders currently.

I do agree, I do not care who the manufacturer is, best sensor on the market is very welcome. I hated that there has been no new sensor in a rebel since the 550d (7d sensor). Hopefully now.

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
I don't know why because a camera is small it has to be low down in the spec department.

Many a time I wish I could have FF in a size like the xxxd

I very much think the same. I always wanted eg AFMA, but never wanted to buy a bigger cam than my current 400d. SL2 could be nice too, especially if they do not downgrade it on purpose in specs.

Upvote 0
WoodyWindy said:
Leaving the spec-ulation out of things for a moment, and focusing on the two bodies. Does NOBODY remember that the last major Rebel class announcement had two bodies: The 700D/T5i AND the 100D/SL1. Why could the forthcoming announcement not be for replacements for both cameras? One a powerful, yet very compact camera with a simplified interface (SL2), the other the most capability you can cram into a plastic body (T6i).

That would be great, especially if limited difference in specs. SL2 could be a clear win for me.

Btw let us not call the 700d announcement major ;)

I keep returning sometimes to the very very informative Canon timeline here:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_150D.html

It clearly shows how much overdue the rebel line.

Attachments

• canon_timeline2.png
    canon_timeline2.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
I really liked my t3i form factor. It felt much better than 70D. t3i is small enough to rest on my palm and wrap my fingers around lens. 70D is neither small or nor big. It has very narrow space between grip and lens. If 650d is going to get better sensor and match all the specs except speed, I am going to swap it out with 70D. I am fine with one single dial. I am using A/T mode (min shutter speed if needed) most of the time in order to give 1/3 EC anyway.

Is canon going to include EC in M mode for next rebel? I guess we have to wait and see. Typically Canon is very good at releasing cameras with specific features for specific target group and selling them boat load. Not sure if they are going to make Rebel better than 70D. May be they are not moving that many rebels in the market. I am seeing lot of interest in Nikon entry level cameras (d5300 etc.,) in lot of deal threads.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that pure sensor performance of Nikon D3300 kills the performance of 7DII in some aspects. They need to step up. They need to cannibalise themselves in certain aspects, or somebody else will do that. I believe it´s time for better sensor than the one mounted in 7DII. It was the last cam with this low ISO pathetic performance, and it´s good, because sports shooters don´t need low ISO performance and most resolution as much as other things. I hope Canon will do what they have to do, and at that moment I go and buy their camera. Otherwise I buy nothing. Hope they see it.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
They won't introduce a rebel with a better sensor than the 7D mk II, neither for stills of videp. So we're stuck with soft video. The stills aree pretty good thpugh and the lowlight performance is quite great.

Anyway what seems to be a logical step for a rebel:

-20.2mp Sensor, with DPAF II, as on the 7D
-19 point AF system
-5Fps burst rate
-Touch articulating LCD works with DPAF for video
-NFC, and Wifi of course
-Clean HDMI output with audio/timecode as 7D
-60p at 1080p as 7D
-Rebel body, small plastic, adequate for consumers
-800$ price tag.

I expect to surprises. This rebel would be the logical step, sitting behind the 70D, and then the 7D II on the top.

Other than having a slightly larger sensor, the performance in video and stills will be comparable to the newer powershot cameras. In other words the video will be crappy and far behind the curve of the competition. Stills will be ok, but stills are ok on just about every ILC camera since that is a mature sector where not a whole lot of further improvement can be made with current technology.

I think the most sensible thing for Canon to do would be to recreate the Rebel line as a EFV/MILC system and use that as a test bed for the future. That market sector does not cling to archaic technological concepts in the way that many in the professional/prosumer markets do.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Tanispyre said:
3kramd5 said:
Tanispyre said:

That is correct, the crop factor is unlikely to change. The image circle projected by the lens would likely vinette on a corners of the 1.5 crop sensors. However, you could probably fit a 1.6 crop factor image circle with a 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio on a 1.5 crop sensor. So instead of cropping off the top and the bottom of the sensor, we could extend the sides of the sensor to get the same aspect ratio, and have the same angle of view.

By my math, an image circle which circumscribes a canon APC-C (22.3×14.9 mm) sensor is 26.8mm in diamater.

Maximizing frame width on a "DX" (23.5mm×15.6mm) sensor using that lens at 16:9 aspect ratio would be: 22.9mm×12.9. So yes, you'd get more sensor area.

Upvote 0