Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed for 2017 [CR3]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed in 2017 [CR3]

Canon Rumors said:
IglooEater said:
That kinda makes me sad- I hope they're not dropping the 1.2 line. :'(

They are not dropping the EF 85mm f/1.2L II for the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS I have been told.

Daaaaaaamn look at CR Guy doling out the tells today!

My turn: next non-L 50 will be when, exactly? 8)

- A

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

ahsanford said:
... Why the hell are they making another SL1? ...Surely the tandem of M5/M6 could address the need for folks to keep things small without throwing away functionality...

Because Canon has determined there are sufficient customers out there who are completely uninterested in mirrorless offerings, but who would like small, light DSLR.

I've made the case before and I am making it again. There is a market for this camera.

I believe the difference between the SL1 and SL2 will be similar to the difference between the 7DI and 7DII.

The 7DI was an all-around, general purpose camera for those wanting the best possible APS-C available. The 7DII is a beast that is targeted to a specific niche market -- action photographers who either want APS-C to supplement their full frame, want the extra reach APS-C offers or simply can't justify or afford 1DX price tag. While the 7DII certainly is a great all-around camera, it is much more targeted than the original 7D.

I see the SL2 fitting into a similar niche. Small and light for those who want that, but who want a real viewfinder and want to be able to use their collection of lenses without adapters or compromises.

I would definitely consider an SL2 for hiking when I don't want to take either a 1DX or a 7D. Pair the SL2 with the 18-135 nano USM and you've got a very portable combination that is great for hiking. Without much more weight, you can even throw in the 55-250 STM.

A decent, but modest autofocus is sufficient, since it won't be used for birds in flight with a super-tele. A tilt screen would be okay, but not necessary. What it will need is good connectivity (Wi-Fi, NFC, bluetooth), GPS and touch screen (already on the SL1). A bit of weathersealing would be good, but don't do anything to increase the weight (maybe even cut it slightly, as they did with the 80D vs. 70D).

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

ajfotofilmagem said:
hoodlum said:
Will the 18mp sensor finally be put out to pasture after 8 years?
After 7D, 60D, 60Da, T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, T5, T6, SL1, M1, M2, M3, M10, is over.

Nitpicking, but the M3 has a 24mpx sensor.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
hoodlum said:
Will the 18mp sensor finally be put out to pasture after 8 years?
After 7D, 60D, 60Da, T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, T5, T6, SL1, M1, M2, M3, M10, is over.

Nitpicking, but the M3 has a 24mpx sensor.
Thanks for the correction.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

unfocused said:
ahsanford said:
... Why the hell are they making another SL1? ...Surely the tandem of M5/M6 could address the need for folks to keep things small without throwing away functionality...
The 7DI was an all-around, general purpose camera for those wanting the best possible APS-C available. The 7DII is a beast that is targeted to a specific niche market -- action photographers who either want APS-C to supplement their full frame, want the extra reach APS-C offers or simply can't justify or afford 1DX price tag. While the 7DII certainly is a great all-around camera, it is much more targeted than the original 7D.

I see the SL2 fitting into a similar niche. Small and light for those who want that, but who want a real viewfinder and want to be able to use their collection of lenses without adapters or compromises.

Sure, I get it. But that statement above is exactly what the SL1 tried to do. Are you arguing the SL2 just needs to try harder and get hooked up with the latest tech?

I have zero doubt you want one, and I don't want to marginalize your perspective, but the SL1 failed for a reason, didn't it? I have a feeling that reason had little to do with whether is had the latest sensor / DPAF / touchscreen etc. or not. It might have been because the lower end of the APS-C market is saturated with offerings and the ace up SL1's sleeve -- it's size -- wasn't as compelling an option as a more fully featured Rebel, but I certainly could be wrong.

I'm not saying mirrorless is best and efforts to similarly reduce space like the SL1 are futile -- I'm saying that they tried and it wasn't a hit. I fail to see what would change that this go-round.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
unfocused said:
ahsanford said:

Sure, I get it. But that statement above is exactly what the SL1 tried to do. Are you arguing the SL2 just needs to try harder and get hooked up with the latest tech?

I have zero doubt you want one, and I don't want to marginalize your perspective, but the SL1 failed for a reason, didn't it? I have a feeling that reason had little to do with whether is had the latest sensor / DPAF / touchscreen etc. or not. It might have been because the lower end of the APS-C market is saturated with offerings and the ace up SL1's sleeve -- it's size -- wasn't as compelling an option as a more fully featured Rebel, but I certainly could be wrong.

I'm not saying mirrorless is best and efforts to similarly reduce space like the SL1 are futile -- I'm saying that they tried and it wasn't a hit. I fail to see what would change that this go-round.
At the time SL1 was launched, it lacked:

Price compatible with the features offered.
Image quality to compete with Fuji and Panasonic.
Good connectivity to post on social networks.
18-55mm STM, compact like de new model F4-5.6.
24mm STM pancake.
50mm STM decent and almost pancake.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013

ahsanford said:
unfocused said:
ahsanford said:

- A

DPAF, Flippy, brighter VF, better button layout. Maybe a tad wider and a smidge thinner...like the M5 you say? ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

ahsanford said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’ve been told by a couple of sources now that we will definitely be seeing a Canon EOS Rebel SL2 in 2017. We don’t yet know exactly when we’ll see the new camera, but we don’t expect an announcement at least until after the brand new EOS Rebel T7i begins shipping at the end of March.</p>
<p>We had been told previously that a new EF-S prime lens would be coming, and it would make sense if these two products came around the same time.</p>
<p>We think that’ll likely be it for APS-C DSLRs from Canon in 2017, there won’t be an EOS 90D or EOS 7D Mark III this year.</p>
<p>Specifications are unavailable at this time, but we’ll obviously pass them on if we hear anything.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

1) We shouldn't be surprised at all about the 7D3. If a 7D Mark III drops this year it would be two years too soon. Very un-Canon to update a brand faster than prior updates of that same brand -- in fact, it hasn't happened in 8-10 years or so across all SLR brands.

2) Why the hell are they making another SL1? See plot below -- SL1 didn't exactly set the world on fire. Surely the tandem of M5/M6 could address the need for folks to keep things small without throwing away functionality. An SL2 seems like throwing more money at a bad idea, IMHO.

- A

the US price plots are meaningless unless you show them with the corresponding import price or Yen to USD exchange value.

it also really has no relation to sales either.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016

Even though I liked form factor of SL1 it was too plasticky for my taste. Not sure how well canon will sell this in 2017 or 2018 whenever it starts shipping, considering the stiff competition from other mirrorless manufacturers and canon' own. IMHO Canon could spent their resources in designing more fast lenses including primes for their EF-M mount instead of flooding the lower end of DSLR market.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

ahsanford said:
2) Why the hell are they making another SL1? See plot below -- SL1 didn't exactly set the world on fire. Surely the tandem of M5/M6 could address the need for folks to keep things small without throwing away functionality. An SL2 seems like throwing more money at a bad idea, IMHO.

index.php

At the risk of picking at another thread's scab, unless you believe that Canon would sell the SL1 at a loss for >2 years, what does it say about the profit margin for an entry-level camera that Canon can drop the price ~38% from launch and still turn a profit?

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010

ahsanford said:
It might have been because the lower end of the APS-C market is saturated with offerings and the ace up SL1's sleeve -- it's size -- wasn't as compelling an option as a more fully featured Rebel, but I certainly could be wrong.

Comparing the SL1 to EOS M5 (both with viewfinders):
407 g (SL1) vs 427 g
OVF vs EVF
Battery life of 380 vs 295
Slightly more grip for SL1

The biggest draw for me: OVF vs EVF.

Also, to adapt my EOS lenses to the M5, I need to use the EF adapter which weighs ~ 100g, making the total weight of the M5 > 500g.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011

I love my SL1. I sold all EF-S lenses but my 15-85. That's my basic vacation and general drag it around with me combo. My 5DII and IV are too heavy to lug around with L lenses. I have the original EOS M and enjoyed it but decided I don't want to invest in a third lens system. I'll probably just replace the SL1 with the SL2. My only hope for change would be obviously better image quality/high ISO performance, and I would also like to see an improvement in the controls. Some of the buttons are too small or close to each other. They could definitely be spaced and sized a little more ergonomically. Better AF? Sure, I'll take it. That's all.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

ahsanford said:
...the SL1 failed for a reason, didn't it? ...I'm saying that they tried and it wasn't a hit.

Where did Canon say it was a failure? I'm not saying they didn't say that. I'd just like to see a statement from Canon, or some sales figures, or something that supports your statement. If you are basing it solely on price history, that's meaningless.

Note that the 6D price history pretty much follows the same trend line as the SL1, yet there is strong evidence that it has been one of Canon's greatest hits (consistently beat all other full frame cameras on Amazon's best sellers list, not for months, but for years. Currently sitting at #10 and beating all of Nikon's full framers)

04039-Canon-EOS-6D-price-graph.png

And, as Neuro points out, it's unlikely Canon would have kept the SL1 in the lineup if it wasn't selling and was losing them money.

neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:

index.php

At the risk of picking at another thread's scab, unless you believe that Canon would sell the SL1 at a loss for >2 years, what does it say about the profit margin for an entry-level camera that Canon can drop the price ~38% from launch and still turn a profit?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

unfocused said:
ahsanford said:
...the SL1 failed for a reason, didn't it? ...I'm saying that they tried and it wasn't a hit.

Where did Canon say it was a failure? I'm not saying they didn't say that. I'd just like to see a statement from Canon, or some sales figures, or something that supports your statement. If you are basing it solely on price history, that's meaningless.

Note that the 6D price history pretty much follows the same trend line as the SL1, yet there is strong evidence that it has been one of Canon's greatest hits (consistently beat all other full frame cameras on Amazon's best sellers list, not for months, but for years. Currently sitting at #10 and beating all of Nikon's full framers)

04039-Canon-EOS-6D-price-graph.png

And, as Neuro points out, it's unlikely Canon would have kept the SL1 in the lineup if it wasn't selling and was losing them money.

neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:

index.php

Don't take Sanford too seriously. He just makes stuff up as he goes along... including "facts". In his alternative universe there is no big picture. Just a single data point... his imagination.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:

index.php

I'd doubt that the cost to make one exceeds $150. The rest of the price is the cost to advertise. ship, provide service, allow for currency fluctuations, and last and definitely not least - profit. Every one and everything along the way from production to the customer grabs a chunk of money, and even after delivery, service must be provided.

The high initial price allows them to pay off development costs, and the costs to stock tens of thousands worldwide, stock parts and service tools. After that is paid for, they can cut the price and still make a profit.

Canon would not be coming out with a new model unless they expected to make a nice profit.

Upvote 0