Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

If the rumored specs and prices are correct, I may be be tempted.

But where are the cheap and lightweight lenses???
They said they wanted to sell a higher proportion of full frame lenses that can be sold at greater profit. My guess is that most all of the "cheap" lenses will fall into what used to be the midrange, except for the 24-240 kit lens. So instead of 500 or less, it'll be around the 1k mark (like the f4 kit lens for the R), then around the 2k mark (the f2.8 trinity), then the specialty lenses at the 3k mark. Primes will probably be somewhere below all those marks. I'm guessing the 50 will be slightly more expensive than the 35mm.

Upvote 0
Those specs are almost perfect. I prefer no side-articulated LCD (something like Panasonic S1/S1R or fuji X-T3 would be perfect, but a simple tilting LCD is good enough), but at this price point I can accept it ;)
I think all of the future canon cameras will have this. I wouldn't be surprised if a ruggedized version is on the 1dxr when it comes.

Upvote 0
I would take this rumored price with a BIG grain of salt. The original EOS R was also rumored to be under $2000 and it turned out to be more (much more in Europe actually: 2500€ = $2850)
I think the former $1599 price tag seems more realistic. Unless they finally realized the only way they can give Sony and others some some competition is with a price war.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If true this sounds like a pretty great entry point into the EOS R system...most people will likely buy one of the adapters since the lens lineup so far is not entry level. If the 5 frames per second is with full tracking it sounds like a pretty good camera, not as good as the A7III but pretty reasonable at that price point.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sounds like believing in this is just preparing to be disappointed. They did register a full frame camera with a 26 MP sensor after all, so why would that not become an actual product? And that price just screams old sensor tech, doesn't it?

They seem to have nailed the market demand with the M50, maybe this is actually just the same concept applied to the R System. If so, I'm excited to see the people hailing Sony for their FF market share react to the next big reports.

But I don't believe it.

Upvote 0
I hope that it won't be the case. Side-articulated LCD is great for video, but completely useless on tripod with L-bracket.
Sure, but using it on a tripod with L bracket is only a small part of use, and folded flat with it's screen facing out really isn't any different than right now without a flip out screen. If this becomes a standard thing with flip outs on all future canon cameras, some manufacturers of L plates will come up with different solutions, and on a deeper body it's easier to make an L plate that is just shifted forward a bit on the side to allow the flip screen to be angled straight up at 90 degrees (to keep is "level" with the new orientation while on it's side). We might even see a screen on a 1dx that is just as tall as it is wide to account for this. It really depends if Canon wants to more or less keep the same dimensions .

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0