Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Jul 12, 2014
So, Canon promised a firmware update to the EOS R that would add functionality like eye tracking in AF servo. Hopefully, the firmware update will be released before the new camera. Sure wish Canon would release pro-model mirrorless cameras to rival the A9 and the A7Rlll. Watch for killer Nikon and Sony discounts when the new Canon is released.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
So, Canon promised a firmware update to the EOS R that would add functionality like eye tracking in AF servo. Hopefully, the firmware update will be released before the new camera. Sure wish Canon would release pro-model mirrorless cameras to rival the A9 and the A7Rlll. Watch for killer Nikon and Sony discounts when the new Canon is released.

Depending on what's announced by Sony and Canon in the next 2 months, I may go ahead and pick up the rumored a7000 if it drops this spring with an a9-esque APS-C sensor. Slap an 18-135 on it and call it a day - nothing like feeling you can shoot anything with a single lens and body (for my purposes, anything = all event and BTS photography. I'll keep my 5D classic for portraits and street/candids).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Whatever new camera I end up getting in the future, I just hope I am up to the camera. Best camera / lenses in the world won't do me any good if my skills still suck. Well, there's always the added social media and club status I'll get hauling around whatever has the best spec sheet. That's worth it right there. The problem is constantly having to keep up with that. It wouldn't matter at all if I could just take really good photos with what I already have. Oh well. I guess I could always get a hip new bag.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes without the latest gear you are doooomed!:cry: Try not to get too depressed.

Jack
It's a constant battle, Jack. I just can't keep up. :cry: Makes me feel lower than :poop:. If only I could get a little more dynamic range... I bought a junked Mark IV and salvaged the sticker. Put it where the Mark III sticker was. Didn't help my photos, but the neighbors are jealous. To top it all off, I think my wife is having an affair with the Sony owner down the road. She's always staring at the bulge in his bag... dreaming of a bigger megapixel sensor that gives her more sensitivity. I keep telling her, "Megapixels don't matter. What matters is how you use them." She just rolls her eyes. I can only pump out 5 or 6 raws a second, but not for long. How can an old guy like me possibly compete with a younger guy that pumps out 10? I even had a 2X extender. She still wasn't impressed. :sick: Would a 400mm "accessory" save my marriage and reputation?

--- Short specs

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ale_F

6D - 7D
Nov 22, 2018
Wow! I think the future of 6D line is dark, but the transition from 6D to R more realistic.
However, what are the future kit lenses, especially for 1300$ camera?
24-105 f4L is possible but expensive.
Another 24-105 like the EF 3.5-5.6 it will be possible but it's too similar.
I hope in something like 24-70 or 24-85 3.5-4.5 IS, a small lens.

Upvote 0
Wow! If you can get the R for over 1,000 off the Canon Authorized dealer price, I would snatch up a few! (or be suspicious!)

For the rest of us buying at regular price:
EOS R at 2,349 GBP
Higher Rumored price of RP (US $ +50 to estimate GBP ) 1,649 GBP
Difference = 700 GBP/ 64 GBP for battery = 10.94 batteries.

My bad, I did say 15 batteries. I stand corrected! For those buying 10 to 11 batteries with your RP, you may as well get the R.

Most people are buying Grey import now. Especially in Europe. The R is literally 40% cheaper from Hong Kong than in the shops here.

Upvote 0

Turcaud

Working Photographer - UK and Internationally
Feb 6, 2019
UK
www.placeimages.co.uk
Well, I'm sorry. I have a 5Div. I also have an Olympus OMD EM-1 MarkII. I have no intention of abandoning Canon in my work, but I was very disappointed in the R Series body (the optics are great) and I am doubly disappointed in relation to this rumour because, IF TRUE, then this camera is well behind the capability of the Olympus. I can see at this rate it will be a while before I consider the investment worth it.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Well, I'm sorry. I have a 5Div. I also have an Olympus OMD EM-1 MarkII. I have no intention of abandoning Canon in my work, but I was very disappointed in the R Series body (the optics are great) and I am doubly disappointed in relation to this rumour because, IF TRUE, then this camera is well behind the capability of the Olympus. I can see at this rate it will be a while before I consider the investment worth it.

Considering the r was clearly not made for professional photographers and that if these rumours are true then neither is this new body you don't really have anything to be disappointed in. Other rumours are suggesting the wait will not be long for a pro body and then you will see what is in store and whether it is worth getting upset about.

Upvote 0
Wow! I think the future of 6D line is dark, but the transition from 6D to R more realistic.
However, what are the future kit lenses, especially for 1300$ camera?
24-105 f4L is possible but expensive.
Another 24-105 like the EF 3.5-5.6 it will be possible but it's too similar.
I hope in something like 24-70 or 24-85 3.5-4.5 IS, a small lens.
However unpopular at the moment, I'm hoping for a super compact pancake lens to really emphasize the smallness of this new camera body. That combination would be a good replacement to my long gone x100T

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Might be a good lightweight camera for hiking and landscape photography, if it's a new sensor with good DR and the body is somewhat water-resistant.
It's not going to be a new sensor, very similar to the 6D Mark II and the build quality is more like the M5 but with a screen like the M50. So no headphone jack and I also think the codec will be IPB only (maybe only UHS-I SD) and no C-Log.

Upvote 0
It's not going to be a new sensor, very similar to the 6D Mark II and the build quality is more like the M5 but with a screen like the M50. So no headphone jack and I also think the codec will be IPB only (maybe only UHS-I SD) and no C-Log.
How do we know it's similar to 6dII? just because it's 26mp?

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Some thoughts, assuming these specs have merit:

- The EOS R used a slightly modified version of the 5D Mk IV sensor. Based on this, I'd strongly suspect a slightly modified version of the 6D Mk II sensor will be used in the RP. I don't think we will see a truly new sensor until the pro-level R is released. The Mark II versions of the R and RP are pretty much guaranteed to get new sensor tech.
- No touch bar or top monitor makes sense. If you're going to drop a few features to distinguish the R from the RP, these are easy choices. Though, many will say the removal of the touch bar is an upgrade...
- Eye AF support in Servo AF and Video AF plus 4K crop at 1.56x both would imply the EOS R will be getting these features as well, through the upcoming firmware update. There's a close-to-0% chance the RP would have a less pronounced crop than the R.
- LP-E17 seems a suspicious choice, but we'll see. If the RP only has an articulating display (no EVF), I don't see the E17 working out very well. Bigger drain on a smaller battery...ouch.

For those hoping for IBIS in this model...look to the pro-level release in the future. There's no way Canon would infuriate all the customers who just purchased an R by throwing IBIS into the RP. Not to mention, it doesn't make sense for the lineup or cost models.

I'm curious to see what Canon does. Exciting times.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Even if it is, still a great sensor. People will make some very fine photos with it.
That's true, it produces nice colours straight out of camera, but let's not claim that it hasn't been left behind in terms of dynamic range, the highlights can clip quite early in demanding conditions (it can't be underexposed the same way as others) and it doesn't really offer any gain over the old 6D in terms of low-light performance. Other 'entry-level' cameras don't suffer the same level of performance loss (but they also don't quite have the color rendition, etc.)

Upvote 0