Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Still, playing devil's advocate for a minute here: 45 mp scales down to a respectable 17.5 mp in crop mode. It could be possible that Canon is developing a "hybrid" model in the sense that it offers high resolution in full frame mode and faster fps, etc., in crop mode. Perhaps this is the 7D replacement with a full frame sensor. I doubt it, but it does make for an interesting thought experiment.

Sure, but a $6,000 super camera is not a replacement for a 7D.

Build some rocket ship with an FF shutter, FF DPAF, metering, etc. only to have some users lock it in crop turbo-mode for its entire usage? I just don't see it. At least not at a 7D price point. I could see it as a nice option for those parting with a lot more money for the second coming of the 1DS line.

- A

Upvote 0
While the high-resolution model seems to be wanted, I really think Canon needs to release their high-end workhorse mirrorless first (the 5D replacement). In that way, these specs make sense, though still a long shot. However, if the Canon R5D (the mirrorless 5DV) doesn't match the 1DXIII for video specs, it will be very disappointing. At the end of the day, the 1DX III is being bought by professional photographers in sports, wildlife, Olympics, etc. And the video features are an added bonus. But in that form factor and with that weight, a dedicated video camera may be more useful.

But a mirrorless form factor that can be used on one-handed gimbals and is smaller and lighter is GREAT for video and as b-cams to C200/500s etc. And mirrorless cameras just make more sense for video (hence why all cinema cameras are mirror-LESS).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sounds too good to be true, the new 1Dxmkiii can barely pull these specs.
Different camera for different uses. I would think that if this is close to true, it will probably be priced in the range of Sony's top line camera. If Canon were smart, they would undercut Sony by 500.00 and rely on their RF lenses. The RF lenses are far superior to anything Sony has.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I don't know where you came up with your 51ppi number.

You're right, I dunno how I messed it up, guess I'm not that good at math. I calculated again, and a 45mp sensor makes a 150ppi photo at 44x66".

Anyway, that still falls under your theoretical lower limit of 180ppi.

And when you say "interpolate" you're talking about resizing. Yeah I know, it's more advanced than that, it's running the image through algorithms to get the most possible detail.

But at the end of the day, whatever fancy name you want to give it, you're blowing up the image. You're trying to coax detail out of the original file that isn't really there, simple as that. And I've done it too when I've made 44x66" prints. Yeah, they look ok. But they'd look better if it was native resolution from the original file and not enlarged by a computer algorithm after the fact.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Cropping in!

i get that but cramming more and more photocells into an area that is not increasing also has its disadvantages, there are more dissadvantages to it then the advantage of cropping.
If you're cropping then you're not close enough, if you cant get close enough buy a longer lens. I do agree that cropping is nice but there are far more advantages to 45 or less MP at this point. 30 is plenty in my book!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Come to think of it, these specs in a 1-series mirrorless body would surpass even the 1DX3 itself.

It will do everything the 1DX3 can and have high res and have IBIS and have a bunch of video superpowers I don't understand.

This would be priced even above the 1DX3.

Again: the only conclusion here is that this is nonsense.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I tend to agree that this is a bunch of baloney. How could a "source" know that the battery is new, but looks like the LP-E6 and not be able to tell if the model is "5" or "S." If you've been close enough to see the battery, how could you not have been close enough to see the model number?
Maybe the battery is just that big. :LOL:

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is roughly 4.5x the stills throughput of the 5D4.

So no, this is a 5DS and 1DX3. Then with IBIS. Then on a major dose of steroids.

Which is to say that it is nonsense.

Plus, this would need a vastly improved autofocus system to take advantage of the rumored specs. So, you'd have to add into it a 1Dx III-style autofocus. Pushing the price up even more.

Sure, but a $6,000 super camera is not a replacement for a 7D.

Build some rocket ship with an FF shutter, FF DPAF, metering, etc. only to have some users lock it in crop turbo-mode for its entire usage? I just don't see it. At least not at a 7D price point. I could see it as a nice option for those parting with a lot more money for the second coming of the 1DS line.

I threw it out there for discussion, but I agree, it doesn't make sense because of the price point. More expensive than the 7DII, but weaker specs? Nope. Doesn't work.

However, I'm not completely insane. Ever since I bought the 5DIV, I've been thinking that eventually the resolution of full frame bodies will reduce the need for high end crop sensor bodies. The nice thing about the R is that you can seamlessly switch to crop mode in the viewfinder, so I do think Canon may want to get the resolution up high enough to make the crop mode an acceptable alternative.

But, as you correctly point out, the price point is likely to be prohibitive.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We've waited so long for IBIS that when it finally gets here, I expect to be able to do hand-held astrophotography with it. :cautious:
The longest you can expose for with a 35mm lens on FF without seeing a star trail is 14.3s. Using the 1/f rule, 8 stops of IS will give 256/35s for handholding, which is 7.3s. So, that's just about perfect for hand-held astrophotography!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
The longest you can expose for with a 35mm lens on FF without seeing a star trail is 14.3s. Using the 1/f rule, 8 stops of IS will give 256/35s for handholding, which is 7.3s. So, that's just about perfect for hand-held astrophotography!
Good. Putting my tripod on ebay now... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I tend to agree that this is a bunch of baloney. How could a "source" know that the battery is new, but looks like the LP-E6 and not be able to tell if the model is "5" or "S." If you've been close enough to see the battery, how could you not have been close enough to see the model number?
Never know... could be someone like a janitor at the facility who is around this stuff every day but can only get so close :) . I'm sure Canon Rumors isn't tellin' !

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
However, I'm not completely insane. Ever since I bought the 5DIV, I've been thinking that eventually the resolution of full frame bodies will reduce the need for high end crop sensor bodies. The nice thing about the R is that you can seamlessly switch to crop mode in the viewfinder, so I do think Canon may want to get the resolution up high enough to make the crop mode an acceptable alternative.

But, as you correctly point out, the price point is likely to be prohibitive.

Cropping high-res is a possible solution for the high end crop crowd, but that camp will expect that FF shutter to bang away at very high speeds.

It reads like a supercar. IMHO, dropping a crop sensor and crop shutter into an EOS R body makes so much more sense for the 7D crowd than hoping to crop down a $6k+ 1DS-like body.

- A

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0