Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
According to Mirrorless Rumors, their source claims these specs are ‘nearly completely wrong’. Make of that what you will.

Obviously! I cannot understand why CR posted this BS rumor. Only for clicks?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The 1DxII's dual processor from Canon is capable of circa 350mb/s, so that equates to 45mp @ 7.5 fps or there abouts. [..]

No, 350 mbit/s is waaay to low a number:

1DX2: 20MP * 16fps = 320MP/s, with 14bits per pixel, 320.000.000 * (14/8)/(1024^2) = 534MByte/s
1DX3: 20MP * 20fps = 400MP/s, with 14bpp, 400.000.000 * (14/8)/(1024^2) = 680MByte/s
M6II: 32MP * 14fps = 448MP/s, also 14bpp, 448.000.000 * (14/8)/(1024^2) = 762MByte/s

That's assuming the pixels don't get put in a 16bit word, most processors hate unaligned access and put things on 8 or 16 bit boundaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would assume the 14/20 FPS means 14 in FF mode, 20 in crop mode. Why would it refer to viewfinder and LiveView - those are virtually the same in a mirrorless body
It's not viewfinder/live view, it's mechanical and electronic shutter.

About that 8k @ 30 fps RAW specification...I bet that's a burst mode, like the EOS M6 Mark II, as 45MP gives us 8k files.
This is my bet. The EOS M6 Mark II rumors were exactly like this.
The 45MP Nikon D850 has a resolution of 8256x5504 for stills.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
There will never be enough MP for your liking, just saying. Enjoy life my friend.
That's not true!
The 1DX Mark III doesn't have enough MP for my use, for sure, but the 40-50 MP range is ideal. Even at 30MP the EOS-R and the 5D Mark IV are much more generous than the 1DX series, even if the AF is not quite there.
If you don't need it that's fine but we're all different with different needs.

Upvote 0
Nope, this is either purely made up or they're talking of the 1DX level camera that's surely not coming earlier than december.
Earlier rumors suggested that Canon is releasing 3 cameras this year (a high res model, a 1DX level and an entry one). And before that, there was only talk about a high res model that will have comparable specs to the EOS R.
Its hard to believe, that Canon would now suddenly come up with a model that cannibalizes the newly released 1DX. It would make no sense from marketing point of view and it doesn't fit into the development timeline of earlier rumors.
I call pure BS on that.

Upvote 0
I'll add the fine print for you ;)

• 45mp (One source said 40mp) *Effective pixels
  • IBIS
    • 5 stops with IBIS alone
    • 7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization *With digital IS enhanced enabled in video mode
  • 14fps / 20fps (One source said 12fps / 20fps)*Maximum frame rate available with electronic shutter **AF fixed when shooting
  • Scroll wheel added to the back
  • No touchbar
  • Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs *Because the start/stop button looked cool
  • Larger capacity battery, but looks like the LP-E6
  • 8K @ 30fps RAW *Raw burst mode shooting will be cropped shooting with the electronic shutter
  • 4K @ 120fps
  • 4K @ 60fps *Outputted in 4k(UHD) resolution through image processing **AF fixed when shooting, the angle of view becomes narrower

Upvote 0

Trankilstef

Image making loverEOS R and EOS R5 (soon)
Jan 5, 2020
www.stephanetranquillin.com
I spoke to a Canon rep today on a 1dx mkIII hands on event , and talking about the next body he told me some insights. He told me he was pretty sure there won't be CF Express cards in the next body to come (he assured me that the announcement will take place before march as we alreasy know). So the 8K Raw rumor is BS. If it were true the next body would have CF Express to be able to withstand the necessary output.
To summarize what he told me (not much) :
- No Cf Express cards
- Announcement in a month (before march)
- Some 1dx MkIII video features, but he insisted that not all would be there (I hope for H265 10 bits, at least full frame 4k60p, and the new autofocus algorithm)
- He finished telling me that we won't be disapointed to have waited for Canon to fully commit to mirrorless (though he was specifically telling me about the video specs as I told him that for my use the EOS R photography specs are ok for me, but I wanted more on the video side).

PS : after one hour of test with the 1dx MkIII, I can confirm that the DPAF is improved in a lot of ways, it's more refined, more natural, and very snappy, it's just incredible. I really think Canon equals Sony in the AF department. I was shocked at how good it is (especially in video).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
On my R with Eye AF turned on I hit the View attachment 188367 and then use the View attachment 188368 to select the eye I want. Works well most of the time. Also great when you have multiple people and you want a specific subject.

I've tried it, and I've read the manual, page 271 and page 277. I can't really tell if this method is helping much. Maybe I'm expecting too much? I try it with my son, but he is only 3 yrs old, so maybe his eyes are too small? I am in close.

What happens is the AF square shrinks to fit the eye and then, as long as his face is not jumping too much, and not turned towards me (instead, partial profile), the eye AF works ok. But if he moves, or I move, the square expands and shrinks, sometimes jumps to the other eye or even the ear nearest the camera if he turns so the opening is visible.

I'm just not seeing how eye AF really works better than just using Spot AF and keeping the AF square on the desired eye. Maybe if the posing is kind of slow and predictable it keeps one eye in focus or jumps to the eye closest to the lens...

I'm still not really sold on this feature. But thank you for sharing Canon's preferred way of helping it work better!

Upvote 0
Other than the high res sensor, how is that a better set of specs? Just a few features and no real specs. The latest one is a lot more detailed and I would say much better. The 75-80 MP will be a similar but different model.

Did you actually read both specs? The older one mentions (as you listed) 75mp, dual card slots, joystick, better evf. The new one mentions 45mp, IBIS, double the FPS, scroll wheel, and superior video capabilities. Try to keep up.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There will never be enough MP for your liking, just saying. Enjoy life my friend.
You may not have meant it in this way, but the idea that everyone should "just buy a longer lens" comes across as a bit of an arrogant one-percenter comment. It implies that only people who can afford $7,000+ lenses have the right to enjoy nature and wildlife photography. I'm totally sympathetic to those who are trying to get the best photos possible on a limited budget and that means higher resolution cameras, even with all the trade-offs. Plus, there are certainly many situations where carrying a massive big white is impractical.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I would find it hard to believe Canon's replacement for the 5DSR is going to be 45mps. Just saying..............
Probably not. Judging from the rumors and 80D and 90D pixel density I expect it between 60 and 80 mpixels.

BUT: It wouldn't be the first time: Remember the consolidation of 1D4 and 1Ds to 1Dx ? It was a step down in mpixels for 1Ds shooters.
Maybe 80mpixels is too much for most lenses and a DLA of f/5.3 (the one of 90D which will have similar pixel density). Not saying it will not be an improvement but it will not be that much of an improvement.
I would rather have a 50mpixel with less noise, better DR, better/faster AF and more speed (fps and buffer size) that that of the already good 5DsR. Even small improvements in all these areas would make an amazing upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've tried it, and I've read the manual, page 271 and page 277. I can't really tell if this method is helping much. Maybe I'm expecting too much? I try it with my son, but he is only 3 yrs old, so maybe his eyes are too small? I am in close.

What happens is the AF square shrinks to fit the eye and then, as long as his face is not jumping too much, and not turned towards me (instead, partial profile), the eye AF works ok. But if he moves, or I move, the square expands and shrinks, sometimes jumps to the other eye or even the ear nearest the camera if he turns so the opening is visible.

I'm just not seeing how eye AF really works better than just using Spot AF and keeping the AF square on the desired eye. Maybe if the posing is kind of slow and predictable it keeps one eye in focus or jumps to the eye closest to the lens...

I'm still not really sold on this feature. But thank you for sharing Canon's preferred way of helping it work better!
For what it's worth, my experience echoes yours. Things get even more problematic when there is more than one person in the scene. I've found that the eye AF tends to just take a stroll around the frame, randomly stopping on things. I think it has a lot of potential, but it still has a lot of bugs in it. That's one reason why I'm not optimistic that a sports/action mirrorless camera that meets the high standards Canon users are used to is imminent.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
You may not have meant it in this way, but the idea that everyone should "just buy a longer lens" comes across as a bit of an arrogant one-percenter comment. It implies that only people who can afford $7,000+ lenses have the right to enjoy nature and wildlife photography. I'm totally sympathetic to those who are trying to get the best photos possible on a limited budget and that means higher resolution cameras, even with all the trade-offs. Plus, there are certainly many situations where carrying a massive big white is impractical.

+1.

It's patently bonkers to argue why the the 401mm barrier exists, while competitors & 3rd parties have affordable -500, -600 options. A new 150-600 or 200-600 for (idk) $2k or so is the opportunity for Canon to bring reach to the masses while retaining first party AF and not being saddled with the drawbacks of teleconverters. Such a lens is not that extravagant an ask.

I bird (or travel outdoors in such a place that I'll reasonably expect to see wildlife) maybe once every year. It's not what I usually do. But when I need to shoot wildlife, my options all involved 100-400 + teleconverters or wildly expensive superwhite rentals. The ability to improve reach / the ability to crop is hugely useful.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0