Canon is gearing up to finally release a high megapixel camera with 100+ megapixels [CR3]

Jul 21, 2010
I think that person does not understand the point of crop cameras. It won't be a need for crop cameras when high resolution full frame cameras will cost as much as crop ones.
Here is the post that you responded to:
I don’t understand the need to crop in camera? Wouldn’t cropping in post have the same result plus the ability to choose a variety of post capture compositions? I’d rather do it in post. I have the R5 and forgot it has the ability to crop in camera because I’ve never thought to use it. I’m primarily a portrait photographer though.
The post is about using crop mode on a full frame camera (like the R5 the poster uses), vs. cropping the image in post processing. You don’t know if the person understands the point of crop cameras because he’s not talking about them at all. You are. Ergo, you missed the point.

Do you understand the difference between crop mode on a full frame camera and a camera with a crop sensor, and that it is possible to discuss one without considering the other? The concepts are not terribly complex, I suggest you give them some thought before replying.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would never, ever, ever, in a million years pre-order again. I was stupid enough to be a very early adopter of the 1D3, the high-end camera notorious for its utter inability to focus. Having learned an expensive and disheartening lesson, I'll sit back and let others be the guinea pigs. Only after both the first major firmware update and the first permanent price cut are rolled out worldwide will I order a camera body. YMMV
This is my rule 99% of the time as well. My issue is I've been watching pricing for the R5 here in Canada and there's been fluctuation in price by 0-$400 in the body, even now, and it retails $5,399. So never more than 10% change at least since I've been watching. Two years of no permanent price cutting. Also, the 5DS and 5DSR were almost never a beneficiary of discounting until the cameras were nearly discontinued. Also, it seems to take forever for these bodies to get here and into consumers' hands. Also, I've been eager to replace my 5Div for ages now and it could be quite the wait otherwise. In this instance I may be ok with being the gunieapig.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Canon made an official development announcement of a 120MP DSLR in 2015, so they have been working on high resolution for a long time.

(Canon currently makes a 120MP industrial sensor, but it's APS-H size.)
Maybe canon is planning to introduce a medium format mini?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2015
News flash. Canon itself has now rebuked any and all rumors of the M-series being discontinued. And that the new cameras are NOT for young people. Maybe CR will stop peddling such garbage for another decade. Canon has confirmed what we already know, that the M-series accounts for 30% of all it's sales. It would be a foolish business blunder to discontinues sucha a profitable line of products with nada to replace it. The R10 certainly as we now know can NOT replace the M6 mk 2. Canon doesn't want any of it's ambassadors trumpeting and peddling any of that other nonsense.
Source?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
So Canon is going heads up with the GFX 100s. Don't know. I thought the sweet spot was about 80 to 85MP to double the resolution of the 1DXMKIII

Love to think this is the R1 coming out but, it's just a tease to stop the bleeding from the Z9.

If canon gets even close to the quality of the GFX 50II or the GFX 100s, I'd be shocked. Canon is so "cheap" with resolution, it's just not in their character to give value like that.

• Haha
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
"With the R3 you can shoot a few thousand frames in a few seconds (which I own)"
2000 shots at 30 fps = 67 seconds - "a few thousand frames in a few minutes" is the correct maths. A couple of years ago some would have laughed at the thought of 2000 30 Mpx shots in a minute and they were just as wrong as you are laughing at 30x100 megapixels in a second. I don 't want 30x100 megapixels in a second, but some do and that's their privilege and you have no right to mock them.
Birdshooter is correct, people expecting 100MP at 30fps is totally unrealistic NOW, the consumer technology just does not support that! The logic associated with that expectation is quite messed up, since anyone wanting to photograph birds must do that with the current technology, which is perfectly doable. Bird photography has been carried out in the past with lower megapixel bodies and slower photo burst rates than the ones available now, so a 100MP 30fps body is definitely not a prerequisite for successful bird photography. Following the logic of those unrealistic expectations, people can wait ten or twenty years until that technology arrives to photograph birds, or they can go out and give it a go with the gear they have or that is presently available. They might even enjoy themselves!

The way I read it, the expectation 100MP at 30fps doesn't say "I want to photograph birds", it just says "I want to own very expensive, cutting edge technology that is capable of photographing birds". The latter is a 'gear head' perspective, which is fine for people who love gear for gear's sake, but it's important to distinguish that from the needs of people who want to enjoy time in nature photographing birds. New technology makes bird photography easier, and it is an incremental process. The way it's written sounds like it's a binary situation where a certain threshold of technology specifications exist (100MP at 30fps), where no bird photography is possible with anything below that. I can imagine all the National Geographic teams worldwide throwing their arms up in exasperation and telling their employer that they can't possibly take any bird photos until cameras can shoot 100MP at 30fps! :ROFLMAO:

To push the technology envelope, why stop at 100MP at 30fps in a standard camera body? Dream big! How about an AI motion detector tracking system, this technology already exists on advanced home security camera systems. Tripod mount the system, point it in the required direction, and let it rip. With 250Mp and a burst rate of 50 fps, you can just select the desired frame and crop in drastically to choose the image. Welcome to the brave new world of hand-off bird photography, where the bulk of the work is done in post (over many weeks), which so many desk jockeys love! :oops:

To anyone that says that they need 100MP at 30fps to photograph birds, my question would be "What is stopping you now?". Realistically, it's probably budget if a very high standard of image quality is expected, unless the limiting factor is something not related to gear acquisition, such as training. What is certain is that if a camera boidy that can do100MP at 30fps is released, it won't be cheap, and would remain very expensive for a very long time!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I would never, ever, ever, in a million years pre-order again. I was stupid enough to be a very early adopter of the 1D3, the high-end camera notorious for its utter inability to focus. Having learned an expensive and disheartening lesson, I'll sit back and let others be the guinea pigs. Only after both the first major firmware update and the first permanent price cut are rolled out worldwide will I order a camera body. YMMV
Yes, the focus on that camera is not as good as r5. I returned my R3

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A 2015 article on 120MP sensors:

Note that those sensors aren't using DPAF, so for 120MP with DPAF Canon would have to double the number of sensels, since every pixel would need 2, not 1.

Upvote 0
That's really interesting - I wasn't aware that the Fuji MF bodies were so sensitive! I'd written the GFX system off because of the lack of lenses - no really wide and no long ish. Ideally, I'd want flexibility in focal length from maybe ~15mm-400mm covered in my kit, and I just don't see that realistically happening in GFX any time soon.
I use a gfx 100s with all sorts of canon lenses but even the native fuji 23mm is equivalent to 18mm and they are about to release a 20-35 (16-28 in 35mm FF terms). Additionally I have very successfully tested my 70-200/2.8 II with a 1.4x on it with no vignettes as well as my 300/2.8 II which covers the sensor on its own but also works well with the 2x III or amazingly, with the 2x II + 2x III combo for a resulting equivalent of 960mm on the 33x44 sensor !

Having IBIS plus the lens IS and it's actually amazingly ok to shoot by hand though sort of goofy due to length.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Why has it taken CANON
8 YEARS to update their High Resolution Model ?

So many have Jumped Ship to Fuji GFX system ALREADY

Rumours have it that Fuji and Sony working on 150 MP and 200 MP Models NOW
Possibly because Canon, until very recently, just didn't have either the sensor tech or the processing power to produce a hi-res camera that was capable of producing decent images at ISO 1600 or above. My old 5DS e.g. produced images with noise levels that were unacceptable *to me*, at anything much above ISO 800 (an issue now less relevant due to modern AI-based denoise software).

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd love a 100MP full frame camera. I love detail in images. It would however cause alot of extra expense. Bigger memory cards, bigger external harddrives and a new laptop. I don't get laptops these days. When cameras were 10MP you could get a 2TB external disk drive. Now we are heading for 100MP images and SSD Drives tend to be 1TB or less. Thank god they created SSD Drives or we'd never be able to process large images. I wonder are CFExpress cards very profitable. They are very expensive and run very hot. None have died yet but I'd wonder are they cooking away until they fail.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
f/4.7. A 20 Mpx 1" sensor camera has the pixel density of a 146 Mpx FF and a DLA of f/3.92.
Got to wonder what the use case is.
If the DLA is only f/4.7 then at most lens' sweet spot of f/5.6-8 then diffraction will start to be noticeable and will counter act the fine resolution so what's the point ?
Am I missing something?
Maybe astronomy , but a dedicated astronomy sensor would be cheaper and better anyway.
If there is a strong use case it must be pretty niche

Upvote 0