Canon officially announces the Canon Speedlite EL-1

yeah ok... but Wifi would work really nice!.... I can't understand why this isn't in the bodies already... especially in the R5 & R6! Also the 5DIV has Wifi!
The R5's wifi is a bit flakey if you are too far away. It is probably to do with the antennae within the chassis. Much as I would like remote flash control within an external trigger, I am not sure it is possible without the antennae sticking out of the body somehow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
+ wheres the new interface? its been 20 years!!!

That was my question too. E-TTL II is a bit long in the tooth. I don't see anything about E-TTL III in the specs (or does it have to be R-TTL or EL-TTL now?).

However, in Canon's potential defense I'll note the specs do refer to a PC Terminal. Could this flash be reprogrammable over time (or possess a BIOS flash capability)? If so, the addition of features might be of interest. I like the thought of a flash that doesn't become obsolete. I expect Canon would be touting this as a feature if it were so, ::sigh::. Something to consider for the EL-1.2 Mark II Version ii.

It sounds so naughty to be flashing your flash. I must do this to get even with Kent--it is a moral imperative!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That was my question too. E-TTL II is a bit long in the tooth. I don't see anything about E-TTL III in the specs (or does it have to be R-TTL or EL-TTL now?).

However, in Canon's potential defense I'll note the specs do refer to a PC Terminal. Could this flash be reprogrammable over time (or possess a BIOS flash capability)? If so, the addition of features might be of interest. I like the thought of a flash that doesn't become obsolete. I expect Canon would be touting this as a feature if it were so, ::sigh::. Something to consider for the EL-1.2 Mark II Version ii.

It sounds so naughty to be flashing your flash. I must do this to get even with Kent--it is a moral imperative!
What doesn’t work in ETTL II that requires a new protocol? And how do you know Canon havent updated it silently along the way?

A PC socket is not a computer interface it is a very old triggering switch technology. The right hand one here.
78908544-F0E4-4266-85D8-27B23078CA67.jpeg

Upvote 0
Just wait until you have to deal with the recycle time.
Yes, I can imagine advantages of the new flash's short recycle times and better cooling, like eg professional photographers at graduations where they have to shoot people in really quick succession with a camera mounted flash.

However, I very rarely come into such situations, and when I do, an external battery pack almost always does the trick for me. And when the 600 flash heats up too much, I have to exchange it for a spare one, which is a (small but manageable) pain, true.

I am much more often in a situation where I have to work slower but with more (like: 4) light sources, eg doing portraits of employees for a company. In those situations I very rarely encounter a flash not recharging quickly enough, because I always use freshly recharged NiMh batteries and rarely fire at full power, which reduces recharging times a lot. And if I do encounter recharging issues it is when I take a 2nd photo when the subject blinked his eyes, and then also the new EL-1 or studio-strobes would recharge too slowly.

So yes, of course the EL1 would be better. Worth that much money? The 600 already stretched my budget...

A small detail that I really like in the 600 mark 1: it has exchangeable colour gels, which are very handy if I want to work with colours other than CTO (not that I did this too often, but still). They dropped that on the mark 2 and also on the EL-1 in exchange for fixed coulour filters, a design decison I find strange.

Upvote 0
I would agree if Canon made strobes/accessories like Profoto. The change in battery technology improves recycle time, but it would have added value if it natively controlled its own ecosystem of monolights. That way, Canon would provide the entire solution. The EX-600s helped to killed off pocketwizards with its own radio syncing built in. Canon would similarly pressure Profoto if it came out with a native line of strobes with some innovations (i.e. more flexibility/features with wireless technology).

So true. I ditched pocket wizards once I got the 1st 600ex RT's. They have been rock solid. I did finally switch to Godox/Flashpoint a few years ago for studio, etc. If only canon had studio lights or something powerful enough so that these could intermingle like the Godox system does. I would definitely buy into a Canon lighting system.

Upvote 0
Yes, I can imagine advantages of the new flash's short recycle times and better cooling, like eg professional photographers at graduations where they have to shoot people in really quick succession with a camera mounted flash...

I shot my daugther's graduation with a Flashpoint speedlite and it hung right on in there with no problems.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
If you're buying this, you're getting it for the recycle time. I plan on getting one or two or my main light (when not using my B1's), to group with my 600ex-rt ii's. The ability to charge with the LP-E6 charger is an added bonus.

Yep, 160-170 continuous shots before getting too hot. That allows you to capture multiple frames of things like bouquet tosses, dancing, maybe some sports, etc. Another cool thing is it can tell 600s to shoot at those super low outputs, which only enhances the usefulness of your 600s!

I pre-ordered one in a heart beat, can't wait to get it!

Upvote 0
Flakey? I use the A1 either on camera as a controller/fill in conjunction with other ProFoto lights at events or on commercial shoots on stands, with a VAL, or as an accent light and it’s been nothing but 100% reliable with zero issues, love that light and it’s seamless integration with the rest of the line. I also used to own six Canon speedlights that I would use all together and never had any sync issues or misfires with those either, also an excellent flash system but lacking larger mono lights to add to the mix seamlessly. I am surprised at that launch price though, not sure currently the market will support it well. Personally I wish they’d gone with a round head as it’s a more natural looking fall off and seems to be the standard now.
I know three people who bought A1s. Two returned them due to unreliability followed by poor after sales service from Profoto and I've read many more reports of issues. Glad that you haven't experienced the same but, by many accounts, "flakey" is accurate.

Upvote 0
I know three people who bought A1s. Two returned them due to unreliability followed by poor after sales service from Profoto and I've read many more reports of issues. Glad that you haven't experienced the same but, by many accounts, "flakey" is accurate.
[/QUOTE
I have many friends that have Godox and all have had issues, including just being cheap and break easy. I also know many people who shoot with ProFoto gear and never had any issues except for one who’s light was past warranty but ProFoto honored the repair at no charge anyways. So I guess we’re both going by our experiences.

Upvote 0