Canon production issues to be resolved by the end of March

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Too late! GFX 100S is getting my money. Not that I don't have patience. My first digital camera was a casio 1/2 a megapixel, bought back in the 90's. I waited till 2010 to buy a 7d and a 5dII. It's been almost 10 years now and the 7d and 5dII have served me well but Canon is definitely not going to come up with a camera that will compete with the GFX 100S for landscape anytime soon.
Following the next Canon high res megapixel 90mb+, there will be a minimal difference in megapixel. A Quad pixel AF + Canon's lens choices. There are simply places one cant even find a GFXs to purchase let alone find support. Canon is on every continent. Fujifilm will never be a threat to Canon. Mere distribution and global footprint alone. Without the tilt evf, they can keep the 100s. I love my tilt evf. And its not cheap. Huge mistake by Fuji.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is GF23 wide enough for everything in your landscapes?
That's the crux my concern for landscapes with the GFX series - lens selection. Not wide enough, nor long enough for what I'd like to do. Add in consideration for the price (even with the 100s being reasonably accessible) and I'm pretty sure I'd be better served by an R5 or the rumoured high-megapixel cousin. With that said, I'm sure a lot of landscape photographers will love it for what it can do.

Upvote 0
Too late! GFX 100S is getting my money. Not that I don't have patience. My first digital camera was a casio 1/2 a megapixel, bought back in the 90's. I waited till 2010 to buy a 7d and a 5dII. It's been almost 10 years now and the 7d and 5dII have served me well but Canon is definitely not going to come up with a camera that will compete with the GFX 100S for landscape anytime soon.
I am also thinking about GFX 100S. To be honest pixel is not my primary concern but the dynamic range boost. But then I start to realize that with these MF camera you end up shooting with compromised lens. For cost and weight reasons they can never deliver the supposedly large aperture kind of experience. Their argument is that the exposure you lose can be made up by larger sensor. But then essentially it is not different from FF experience and you lose the great access to all the lens collections.

My conclusion is that this is not a better or worse situation. (Digital) MF is just for a different kind of photographer than FF users. I don't plan to significantly change my style so it doesn't make sense for me to jump to GFX 100s to change my shooting habit for the system. I will find a system that can work better for me. I plan to wait for EOS 5S but I don't necessarily think squeezing 90MP into a full frame makes sense. Need to actually see the testing report later. Personally I would rather to see pixel-shift enabled EOS R5 (50MP) instead

Upvote 0