Canon releases financials and lays out advanced EOS R plans

Sep 3, 2018
exactly, if these people want more mp, there is many cameras already on the market that provide it. To expect Canon to give you what you want is a bit self-serving.
Please.........!

Are we talking self serving as in the continual requests for higher frame rates, uncropped 4K, flippy screen, larger buffer, two card slots, pancake lenses, smaller body, bigger body or larger rear screen etc?

Or are we talking self serving as is all the rumors said such camera would arrive in February and as you obviously have no need for more resolution its suddenly ridiculous to ask for such a thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
exactly, if these people want more mp, there is many cameras already on the market that provide it. To expect Canon to give you what you want is a bit self-serving.
It’s not just about cameras, it’s also about lenses.
You can’t use the same lenses on FF and MF cameras.
If you have the FF lenses do you think it make sense to switch to MF and start buying new lenses all over again?

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
And?

I didn't said the same sensor will magically double it's readout rate with a new processor.
What i said is that if you have a system which can already do 20fps at 33MP, its no
reason not offering 8K 30p in a future generation.

Fast readout is a combination of the sensor and processor. You need to upgrade both.
The R obviously has a very similar sensor with the 5D.
It's not just the sensor and processing power: video needs an entirely different soft- and hardware process and your implication was that if a sensor just can deliver a lot of frames quickly and a processor is potent enough all the rest will magically fall into place. Which is simply not true, and that extra effort in both hard- and software is something every user has to pay for when they buy the camera, a camera that will still be very much a stills camera when it comes to ergonomics and handling. So why pour all that energy into video features no photographer cares about?

• Sad
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Not directed at you in particular but a general observation, why does everyone who doesn't have a requirement for more resolutiion question the intentions of everyone who does like we're stupid? I don't question someone wanting 8K when 75% of all content is watched in HD on a tiny phone or tablet screen. Or the spec trend that a camera must have above 10 FPS before its usuable when people have managed for years with 5 FPS?

I think "stupid" is a bit strong but I look at what's out there now - not even in terms of cameras, but in terms of production photography - and no one is limited by not having more than 45 MP today. Even Arizona Highways requires less than half of that. I'm not saying there aren't applications for ultra-high resolution photography, but it's either a professional pursuit where the budget will include the gear that can produce it, or it's a "passion project" and that's too specialized for Canon to devote it's main focus to when there are major gaps in its RF line that are much more commercially necessary. You can even get around it to some extent with software and photo stitching (many do this), and lacking $$$$$ for big white lenses and avoid excessive cropping can be overcome by renting a lens for your project, or buying a used lens and reselling afterward for a similar price.

It just seems like hyperbole to act as though a lack of an RF high-megapixel body in Q1 2020 is causing severe professional hardship.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Please.........!

Are we talking self serving as in the continual requests for higher frame fates, uncropped 4K, flippy screen, larger buffer, two card slots, pancake lenses, smaller body, bigger body or larger rear screen etc?

Or are we talking self serving as is all the rumors said such camera would arrive in February and as you obviously have no need for more resolution its suddenly ridiculous to ask for such a thing?

Im saying dont expect a camera company to fix your short comings, there are plenty other systems out there that have specs which many are requesting, go to that if you dont like it.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The R is $4K in Canada so I am expecting the R5 to be in the $6k - $8k range. Canon HATES Canada. We never ever get the deals the rest of the world does.
And yet a Canadian dealer consistently offers the best prices through CPW.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Im saying dont expect a camera company to fix your short comings, there are plenty other systems out there that have specs which many are requesting, go to that if you dont like it.
My short comings, I don’t understand.

I know the high res body probably will come at some point and the R5 looks brilliant however, I just don’t appreciate the demissive nature of some peoples responses to those who wanted the much rumoured high resolution body? And your answer like many others is to go buy another camera from an different manufacturer as we’re selfish?

Sound more like “Oh brilliant, Canon unexpectedly released a swerve ball camera that totally satisfies my needs, now stuff the rest of you as I’m happy.”

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
"...there are plenty other systems out there that have specs which many are requesting, go to that if you dont like it." - who the heck wants to go back and forth every couple of years to a different brand, each time selling all their lenses and then again buying new ones? Not everyone is rich (BTW, congratulations on your fortunes).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
"...there are plenty other systems out there that have specs which many are requesting, go to that if you dont like it." - who the heck wants to go back and forth every couple of years to a different brand, each time selling all their lenses and then again buying new ones? Not everyone is rich (BTW, congratulations on your fortunes).

Why would you have to "switch back and forth every couple of years"? The people complaining are indicating they have a specific need that is not met by this new camera or the Canon line in general. If they buy something that DOES meet that need today, why would they need something different in a couple of years?

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016

Im just tired of entitled people coming here telling the rest of us what canon should do for them, I"ve said it before, dont like it, there is plenty of other systems out there. I'm done responding, thank you

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
If a person legitimately wants more MPs -and understands just how much resolution they are likely to actually get from a high resolution camera based on their lenses, experience, etc., then we should all be accepting. But anyone who has been on forums for a while knows that many commenting don't understand much about cameras and lenses and basically just want higher numbers because...well, because Sony has higher numbers. Of course, each user has different wants and needs, but I think pro photographers would be hard pressed to find situations where 45 MPs is inadequate.

In regards to resolution, I recently bought an old EF 100-300mm L lens. Yes, an old lens, but quite sharp. I was using it on my EOS R in crop mode and the pics looked quite sharp, but with all the low prices around the holidays, I picked up an M5 figuring I would benefit from the 24 MPs (compared to the 11.6 MPs of the R in crop) and saw no real difference in resolution. A few pics had slightly more with each camera - most were pretty much identical. Shots were taken at 1/500th of a sec, hand held, and the most important factor seemed to be how still I could hold the camera, not how many MPs the camera had. I was surprised, but perhaps I shouldn't have been. I recall when the Sony A7R went from 24 to 36 MPs - or something similar - and reviewers commented that without a tripod, they saw no resolution increase. Not saying my results were scientific or typical. I did have an older lens, no IBIS, no tripod. But it does make me wonder how many of those clammering for more MPs would actually see any increase in real life shooting.

Upvote 0
True story. In the EU, any device that shoots video over 30 mins is considered a video camera, and subject to a roughly between 5-14% additional tax. This doesn't explain why cameras sold outside the EU can't receive a firmware update to eliminate this limitation.

My wife bought a Panasonic compact camera while on vacation in New Zealand several years ago. When she returned home to Sweden, I was happy to find out that it did not have the 30-minute limit that the same model had in the EU.

I agree that the limitation should be made removable via firmware.

• Wow
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I made a business decision based on the hope of a high megapixel R on the horizon. Now I'm beginning to fear that Canon is turning their still cameras into video production cameras. While I do shoot video I'm not interested in 8k, what I want is a good high resolution still camera. My hopes are this is a bad rumor.

Well, and this is just me....I'd not make a long term business decision on rumors....

But aside from that, just be patient, I do believe Canon will put out a higher MP camera, but likely they are putting out what will likely sell the most and I'm of the thought and it appears they might be too, that a 5Dx type replacement in R format will likely sell the most when it hits the market, which will also drive more R lens buys, etc.

I'm guessing after that, the higher MP camera will come out and the more niche ones after that......

It seems to make business sense to me if this, in fact, is the way they are approaching their new mirrorless FF line releases.

Just my $0.02,

C

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
No word of eye/facial or pet recognition technology improvements in any of these yet. Also, if this had the 'Smart Controller' found on the 1DX3 this would be a slam dunk.

I refuse to get a pet until Canon releases pet recognition technology.

Seriously, how about birds-eye recognition?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
With this new processing power I wonder if they will drop the 30 minute limit on videos?

As I understand it...the 30 min limit wasn't a hardware related limitation at all, but was due to some European countries taxing the camera different if it recorded video over 30 minutes....

They had the artificial 30 min limit to make sure these taxing countries didn't tax it as a video camera which apparently was higher tax than a stills camera.

At least, that's how I was led to understand it when I was asking questions about it prior to my 5D3 purchase back in the day....

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
The R is $4K in Canada so I am expecting the R5 to be in the $6k - $8k range. Canon HATES Canada. We never ever get the deals the rest of the world does.

Woah.. that's a very high price, indeed!! :(

Here in Australia the current price for the EOS R (from reputable retailers, with local warranty, i.e. not grey market) is AUD$2500, which equals about CAD$2200.

Australia in general doesn't receive quite the same specials / discounts / super deals that the US or parts of Asia do... but wow, I feel for you in Canada if the EOS R price is $4k! (no 4k pun intended)....

I am very much looking forward to the EOS R5... if the specs so far are true, and it has an EVF that meets my needs, and AF tracking at least on par with what the M6mkii is showing, well THAT is a camera that hugely interests me, and one I could see myself purchasing.

It's an exciting time to be a photographer (and/or videographer). :love:

Regards

PJ

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Im just tired of entitled people coming here telling the rest of us what canon should do for them, I"ve said it before, dont like it, there is plenty of other systems out there. I'm done responding, thank you

If a person legitimately wants more MPs -and understands just how much resolution they are likely to actually get from a high resolution camera based on their lenses, experience, etc., then we should all be accepting. But anyone who has been on forums for a while knows that many commenting don't understand much about cameras and lenses and basically just want higher numbers because...well, because Sony has higher numbers. Of course, each user has different wants and needs, but I think pro photographers would be hard pressed to find situations where 45 MPs is inadequate.

In regards to resolution, I recently bought an old EF 100-300mm L lens. Yes, an old lens, but quite sharp. I was using it on my EOS R in crop mode and the pics looked quite sharp, but with all the low prices around the holidays, I picked up an M5 figuring I would benefit from the 24 MPs (compared to the 11.6 MPs of the R in crop) and saw no real difference in resolution. A few pics had slightly more with each camera - most were pretty much identical. Shots were taken at 1/500th of a sec, hand held, and the most important factor seemed to be how still I could hold the camera, not how many MPs the camera had. I was surprised, but perhaps I shouldn't have been. I recall when the Sony A7R went from 24 to 36 MPs - or something similar - and reviewers commented that without a tripod, they saw no resolution increase. Not saying my results were scientific or typical. I did have an older lens, no IBIS, no tripod. But it does make me wonder how many of those clammering for more MPs would actually see any increase in real life shooting.
Two swathing comments again pretty much alienating a good number of dedicated Canon users and demeaning their dissatisfaction into being spoiled rich folk, Sony trolls or incapable of using a camera properly. :ROFLMAO:

Have you pair not been reading this forum for the last 6 months or so regarding the EOS RS? o_O

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
I think the OP's point is valid.

Invest in the R system on the premise more resolution is coming to then find out its a video camera that also takes stills.
Please.........!

Are we talking self serving as in the continual requests for higher frame rates, uncropped 4K, flippy screen, larger buffer, two card slots, pancake lenses, smaller body, bigger body or larger rear screen etc?

That's what this site is about! Rumors... until they eventually becomes a fact or they are found untrue or the release date is much later than expected! Therefore, you're disappointed because you don't get your high-res sensor/camera body now, but it doesn't mean that's it's not in the pipeline. Canon makes choices because they need to sell camera bodies and catch up with the mirrorless competition. I understand and respect the needs that certain photographers have for 75+ mp sensors. However, the reality is that the vast majority of photographers will prefer a 45 mp camera with a higher frame rate than a high mp camera with lower frame rate and a buffer that fills up quickly because of the huge size of the raw files. I don't know where to find the numbers, but I'm sure Canon has sold much more 5D Mark III and mark IV than 5DS and 5DSR.

Upvote 0