Canon says preorders for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 have exceeded expectations

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I usually mock Nikon when they say these sorts of things, so I guess I’ll eat crow here.
Canon Japan has said that preorder numbers for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 and some accessories have exceeded expectations and supply may be affected.
From Canon Japan (Google Translated)
We have received orders for the following products announced on July 9, 2020, that exceeded expectations, and it may take some time before the products are delivered.
[Applicable Products] EOS R5/EOS R6/Battery Grip BG-R10/Extender RF1.4x/Extender RF2x
We would like to thank you for all...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mar 25, 2011
I've long predicted that people ordering early could resell their R5 for a nice profit once it arrives. There may be shortages until after Christmas. Those who waited on a 5D MK II may remember that.

Shortages can be difficult to overcome, since the entire supply chain is geared to deliver parts at a negotiated rate, and those suppliers may not be able to quickly speed up production.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I wonder how many preorder units Amazon gets compared to someone like Adorama. I went with Amazon for the 5% cashback on my R5 and the battery grip. Ordered within a couple minutes of it listing.
Typically, those who order from Adorama and B&H get cameras long before Amazon orders. If cameras are in good supply, it makes no difference. I have had the best luck at Adorama. (every new product order delivered the first day).

Upvote 0
I've long predicted that people ordering early could resell their R5 for a nice profit once it arrives. There may be shortages until after Christmas. Those who waited on a 5D MK II may remember that.

Shortages can be difficult to overcome, since the entire supply chain is geared to deliver parts at a negotiated rate, and those suppliers may not be able to quickly speed up production.
You bring up good points. This is pure speculation but Canon probably had to find other sources outside of China for the R5/R6 parts; probably sourcing from within Japan. This is probably why the launch price saw the large jump from the usual price increase between generations; 5D, 5D2, 5D3, 5D4. My initial guess was $3,600 USD but after the pandemic started, I bumped my guess up to $3800. I was $99 off; haha.
In a way, I was mentally prepared for a $3,800-$3,999 launch price, especially since Canon said it's under $4,000.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Well, the 5D IV was about 4300 euro's when launched 4 year ago, now the R5 is 4550. That is just about inflation correction, and you sure get a lot more of camera. So not too sure about this theory.

The 5D IV launched for 3500 usd back then; doing the R6 for 3600 would mean only a hundred dollar price increase. Now it's 400 more, Sure, it's 400 bucks but not too bad; about 10% more in 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jstnelson

EOS R5
Feb 21, 2020
Typically, those who order from Adorama and B&H get cameras long before Amazon orders. If cameras are in good supply, it makes no difference. I have had the best luck at Adorama. (every new product order delivered the first day).
Well, that sucks. I've never preordered a camera from Amazon but I've preordered many other things from them and they always ship 2 days before release date for a release date delivery.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I prefer ordering directly from Canon as historically they've done a great job delivering on time. BH and Adorama take orders before Canon starts, so a good amount of pre-release traffic goes for the online order crowd. I place my order over the phone when someone's in the office to make sure that it will arrive on time and doesn't get lost in the raffle.

Upvote 0
I wonder how many preorder units Amazon gets compared to someone like Adorama. I went with Amazon for the 5% cashback on my R5 and the battery grip. Ordered within a couple minutes of it listing.

I went with Samy's Camera for the tax free and 3% back. On the website it says that the card won't be charged until the item is shipped but my card was aleady charged?

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
I went with Samy's Camera for the tax free and 3% back. On the website it says that the card won't be charged until the item is shipped but my card was aleady charged?
Sigh... unfortunately these types of shenanigans are the reason I keep ordering from Amazon. I tried ordering some from non-Amazon sites recently, and it was a nightmare. Accidentally put an old address in and realized it immediately, but there was no way to change it and had to wait for it to ship and return.
Had a pre-order with Adorama, but once it showed up on Amazon i cancelled and just bit bullet and ordered through amazon. the ease of return/customer service is just worth it. And unfortunately i live in a state with a Samy's so can't even get it tax free.

Upvote 0
Well, I was going to say "you asked for it, you got it" but now it's "you asked for it, but you may not get it".(for a long time) When I saw the spec sheet, I knew this would explode in our faces. Most of us will now have to sit and watch all the YouTube reviews and have a melt down. Seriously, I am happy for Canon's success and patiently wait for that golden email- "you order has been shipped".
Short of an asteroid or comet smoking japan, we'll get through this. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0