Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT replacement coming soon [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A replacement for the Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT  has been rumored since the big January price drop.
A good source tells us that it has been delayed along with the EOS R5 and EOS R6 announcements, but we should see it announced alongside one of those cameras in the next couple of months.
I don’t have anything I can publish about new features included with the new flagship Speedlite, but the source did say that the new Speedlite will be a “big step forward”.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
being more creative and radical, the ETTL system could be replaced with more detailed information supplied by the camera to the flash: With mirrorless cameras, the camera could tell the flash the colour of the subject (as there is live-view information always available), thereby eliminating the need for flash exposure compenstation, and information on the 3-dimensionality of the scene (as there is phase-AF available all over the sensor), and thus better deal with subject-background illumination problems.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
being more creative and radical, the ETTL system could be replaced with more detailed information supplied by the camera to the flash: With mirrorless cameras, the camera could tell the flash the colour of the subject (as there is live-view information always available), thereby eliminating the need for flash exposure compenstation, and information on the 3-dimensionality of the scene (as there is phase-AF available all over the sensor), and thus better deal with subject-background illumination problems.

It has bothered me that Canon never talks about 3d analysis or reconstruction when DPAF is giving you that information pretty much for free.

The 90D has an "group photo" mode where it figures out the aperture needed to get everyone in focus, but that only works in OVF mode, the M6II completely lacks that feature. I would've thought that doing that mode with DPAF would be easier than with the tiny AF sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
1: AI bounce technology from the 470EX-Ai (it is awesome).
2: LP-E6N batteries.
3: Much bigger and better resolution screen that shows all Groups at the same time.
4: Much more intuitive menus.
5: Wider zoom without needing the diffusion panel.
6: Faster recycle time.
7: Cost realignment, flashes shouldn’t cost $500 and more considering the competition, choices and options.

P.S.
8: Remote changing of functions, most other systems you can change the power, Groups, sync mode etc from an app or another controller or the remote flashes themselves.
9: Second curtain sync, others can do it even within the Canon RT system!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Better batteries would be huge, but I will say...I have both yongnuo speedlights and Canon ones, including the 600-EX RT II. Canon is MUCH MUCH MUCH more reliable. I never use the yongnuo (their generic 600 equivalent) lights because I can get 2 shots before they stop firing. The canon can get 4-5. Also, the Canon adjusts color balance perfectly. With the Yonguo, it looked a little on the cool side....I wasn't sure if it was an anomaly, but I didn't care. I had one flash I can trust and rely on and another which was a huge gamble. So I NEVER buy Canon lenses, but I swear by their speedlights. I use them nearly daily photographing my small kids. I use my Yonguo as 2nd, 3rd and 4th flashes when I want to play with off camera flash...but it is tedious waiting for them to recharge for so long after 2 shots...whereas the canon is ready after a second or 2. You can tell just by picking them up. The canon is very heavy, the yongnuo is light as a feather. I haven't used flashpoints yet, but I seriously doubt they are Canon quality/reliability.

Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
If they use an Lp6-EN or similar rechargeable battery I am all in! I have looked at other systems and used the off brand, but they are less reliable and don't last as long. Been using off brand for beach engagements when in water though as they are cheap, but at wedding receptions everything I have tried is far less reliable. Hopefully they are not much bigger. The RF glass is filling my bag haha.

Upvote 0