Canon to Announce a Rebel 1300D Shortly

ajfotofilmagem said:
9VIII said:
dak723 said:
Good points. And what the techies seem to forget is that every DSLR since 2004 (or thereabouts) can take excellent pics. That 18 MP sensor that everyone laughs at is undoubtedly the one that you used a few years ago and you loved the results. Well, guess what, the results are still as good. Not everyone wants a lot of bells and whistles. A lot of us, perhaps the majority, use center point focus, take photos in daylight, and just want to look through the viewfinder unencumbered by histograms, zebras, levels, etc. Some of us don't want more AND SMALLER pixels (Notice that most pro cameras keep the MP count low). Most of us don't print poster size, so for an APS-C camera, even 18 MP is far more than enough.

Canon has now, for at least the 4th time (1000D, 1100D, 1200D and now 1300D) released a camera that was a trimmed down version of it's latest rebel, with less MP. So this is nothing new. If you are going to continually bash Canon, at least pay attention and have some idea of what the 1xxxD line is all about.

Actually the results off the 1200D are better than the original 7D
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=673&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=458&CameraComp=932&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2

Not so much at high ISO, but there you're trading noise for detail since the excessive AA filter on the 7D will be doing some noise cancellation.
Thank you for the link.

Glad to see that the famous sensor "APSC 18 megapixel" has been improved over the years. I did not know that current models like the T5 were so much better than the old 7D.

Weaker AA filter or maybe more sharpening in the t5? I doubt the sensor is substantially different.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Whoops!

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t5-ef-s-18-55-is-ii-kit

The T5/1200D is "Digic 4" as listed on the Canon USA website!

Brian at TDP slipped up listing the T5 as Digic 5. That's a huge difference.

That being the case, the 1300D should have 60% more processing power than the 1200D
Canon claims a 60% speed bump over the original DIGIC 4.[9]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIGIC

Canon says the Digic 5 is six times more powerful than Digic 4, however Digic 4+ is from 2014 and Digic 5 is from 2011, even Digic 6 is a year older (2013), which may not mean much but there's a chance that they modernised some things to clean up the signal. As we saw with the 6D, sometimes a cheaper body can have some pleasantly surprising quirks.

It'll be really intersting to see how it goes in terms of battery life and noise handling.

Upvote 0
All I care about is one thing:

DOES IT HAVE 3X LOSLESS DIGITAL ZOOM DURING VIDEO?

lol, I know the 760D (t6s) has it, I know the 750D does not.

(if you don't know what the heck I'm talking about...during video, on the 760D and 70D, you can magnifiy video 3 times, the camera will pick the center pixels...so it is LOSLESS digital zoom, at no cost on aperture...basically, it is like owning a huge tele...for free)

Upvote 0
Sportsgal501 said:
I hope this an error because they just took a large step backwards...smh.

I have an 1100D. It's basically a nice camera to use.

-it takes like 800 shots before the battery is out, it uses very little power
-it's cheap, so I don't need to be affraid of dropping my camera
-don't need to worry about AF trackin, it can't do it
-don't need to worry about weather sealing, it doesn't have it
-don't need to worry about weight, it is like a feather
-don't need to worry about people coming up to me asking what camera I have, everyone can tell it's cheap and no one is interested in it
-if my focus is slightly off, it doesn't matter, I only have 12MP, so you can't even tell
-it takes pictures

Upvote 0

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
ajfotofilmagem said:
Glad to see that the famous sensor "APSC 18 megapixel" has been improved over the years. I did not know that current models like the T5 were so much better than the old 7D.

I think the 7D comparison is a little weak (low bar). I'd say this has already got most of the improvements out of it since the newer Rebels and an in for example the EOS-M.
So yes, improved, but the biggest differences in that comparison already out for years.

Not sure what that means in a manufacturing/cost sense but they obviously still have heaps of these "improved" ones too lol

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
HaroldC3 said:
Canon without a clue once more.

Well, someone without a clue, at any rate. Who? Find a mirror...

Wow, Canon Police is watching again... Even if you are right (and I am far from thought that you are), do you really think that you can convince every person who is underwhelmed by Canon, that this is the best they can get and they should be happy with it? That they should never have higher expectations? Because higher expectations is what drives progress, not being satisfied and trusting blindly that Canon is always right. Being rude (your witty sarcasm went doen the drain a long time ago) is not funny at all, you are not achieving anything except being pathetic

Upvote 0
Is not that one of the attractions of discussing on a rumor site? We can spend Canons resources without consequence, telling them where they failed?
Canon has taken a lot of heat over the last few years on this forum. There was a rumor not too long ago that Canon was tired of playing catch up in stead of leding ahead. Now, if that rumor is correct then we have not all been totally wrong either. They do lead in terms of sales, but times are changing.

Upvote 0
Pitbullo said:
So it is a t2i with wifi/nfc.
Waste of time and resources really.
That was my first thought. I loved my T2i, but expect some progress in 2016.

However, after seeing images showing the evolution of the APSC 18 megapixel sensor, the modest T5 actually improved sharpness in low ISO, and color at high ISO significantly over the old 7D.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=673&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=3&LensComp=458&CameraComp=932&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=3

Costing $ 500 this new 1300D would be a good buy for beginners.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
For those who cant understand this camera I will make this simple and short. The T5 was a T3i without the flippy screen and little more condensed. It is a wonderful entry level camera that I recommend to everyone.

This new T6 will be the T4i, less the flippy screen. But will have Wifi and NFC. THATS IT.. Its very subtle upgrade. This camera really isnt a upgrade for any current T5 owner. There will be a slight performance boost, but nothing most people will notice.

My advice, if you can get the T5 on sale. Get it!.. If you must have Wifi, get this one. Then when you decide you need (not want) a better camera, go for the 80D or a FF model of your choice..

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
plam_1980 said:
neuroanatomist said:
HaroldC3 said:
Canon without a clue once more.

Well, someone without a clue, at any rate. Who? Find a mirror...

...your witty sarcasm went down the drain a long time ago...

There are people on this forum who are so incredibly proud of their ignorance that the only logical response is sarcasm.

These cameras, whether they be Nikon or Canon, are geared toward people who want a step up from a point and shoot or more likely a camera phone. It will be offered in a kit with an extra telephoto zoom and will be the most expensive and sophisticated camera they have owned. A small percentage will get hooked and move up the chain, but most will be content with this camera for many years to come.

Perhaps the most ignorant remarks on this thread are from those who downplay the importance of adding wifi/nfc.

Canon, Nikon and Sony all failed miserably in keeping up with the times when it came to connectivity. They paid a high price for their own ignorance in the near-complete devastation of the point-and-shoot market. The fact that Canon (and others) are now finally taking some baby steps to bring their cameras into the 21st century connected world is hugely important, even if they are well behind the curve.

Consumers and professionals alike have been ill-served by camera manufacturers sleepwalking through the whole social media revolution. The companies have deservedly paid a stiff price for their own stupidity, but it reveals one's own ignorance to now criticize them for trying to play a little catch up. The criticism should instead be focused on the fact that the interfaces still tend to be user-unfriendly, non-intuitive and lack any meaningful editing options, all things that are available in abundance to consumers on their phones.

Upvote 0