Canon will release an RF mount ‘vlogging’ camera in 2022 [CR3]

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
My first thought: Your account was hacked! ;)
My second: I'm quite speechless ... I never thought you would ever admit a mistake!
This is simply untrue - Neuro immediately and fully acknowledged his mistake (by which I mean: mistaken opinion) when the R7 and R10 were announced. That is, months ago. As did a bunch of others here (including me) who doubted that an APS-C RF body (and specific lenses) would appear.

All of which clearly affects the medium term future (and 'development') of the M system, but won't have much short term effect, despite the fixations of some posters.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
This is simply untrue - Neuro immediately and fully acknowledged his mistake (by which I mean: mistaken opinion) when the R7 and R10 were announced. That is, months ago. As did a bunch of others here (including me) who doubted that an APS-C RF body (and specific lenses) would appear.

All of which clearly affects the medium term future (and 'development') of the M system, but won't have much short term effect, despite the fixations of some posters.
I'm sorry, but I'm not aware of every post anybody has made in the last months. But feel free to show me!

I'm sorry, but even with google translator I'm not able to understand what you are trying to say ... what do mean with "fixations of some posters"?
I fixate my posters with UHU Patafix (awesome stuff!), but I don't think this is what you meant! ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
EOS M is not dying without an equivalently-priced RF equivalent, and right now Canon seems to hate the idea of introducing RF in this price bracket (understandable given supply constraints and the much more profitable margins on enthusiast/pro gear).

With that being said my outlook is that EOS M development is finished and they are happy to just keep manufacturing the lenses and bodies as long as they're selling. When that drops off maybe they'll finally introduce budget RF cameras to reinvigorate the lower end market (if that market even exists in five years).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
m6Ii had not been discontinued globally. Only one or two small markets that dont sell a lot of cameras. Canon management has already debunked that rumor.
When Samsung was abandoning their NX system, they denied it for quite a while. Companies often mislead when it suits their purpose.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
When Samsung was abandoning their NX system, they denied it for quite a while. Companies often mislead when it suits their purpose.
When Samsung was abandoning their NX system, what fraction of Samsung’s total corporate revenue did it represent?

The M system accounts for ~4% of Canon’s total corporate revenue. Are you simply being argumentative, or do you actually believe that Canon is purposefully misleading customers while already having decided to abandon 4% of their corporate top line?

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
When Samsung was abandoning their NX system, what fraction of Samsung’s total corporate revenue did it represent?
I don't know ... do you?
The M system accounts for ~4% of Canon’s total corporate revenue. Are you simply being argumentative, or do you actually believe that Canon is purposefully misleading customers while already having decided to abandon 4% of their corporate top line?
Two completely different starting points:

1. When Samsung abandoned the NX system they left the whole camera market.

2. If Canon abandons the M system they are able to shift the revenue to the R system.

This is quite exactly what Canon is already doing. It is a slow process which already started by not developing new M products anymore. It is going further by selling the old products till consumer interest dries out. Meanwhile the consumer interest is shifted to new R models that substitute the old M products.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They are not selling here in HongKong.
The M6II is widely available in the US, body in both color options and various lens ± EVF kits, direct from Canon USA as well as from major authorized retailers. In fact, I'm about to order one – I use an M6 for travel, and my oldest child has been using my old M2. Now my middle child has progressed to the point where she an ILC will serve her better than a P&S, so I'll shift the M2 to her, hand down my M6 to my oldest, and replace it with an M6II for myself.

Upvote 0
Although I’ll generally continue ignoring your drivel, I will on occasion correct blatant misinformation when you post it.

The actual source of the interview is here:

I have colleagues who can properly translate Chinese, probably the person who runs CanonWatch does, as well.

Short of that, find this section of the actual source, it’s about 40% of the way down the page:

…and put it through Google translate:

That’s an even stronger affirmation of the M series’ future upgrades that CanonWatch’s translation.

So, who is being fooled? The only thing hilarious here is your lack of comprehension. :ROFLMAO:

Short of that, find this section of the actual source, it’s about 40% of the way down the page:

…and put it through Google translate:

That’s an even stronger affirmation of the M series’ future upgrades that CanonWatch’s translation.

So, who is being fooled? The only thing hilarious here is your lack of comprehension. :ROFLMAO:

What if we just underestimate what Canon marketing speach reflects in "future upgrade" to the EOS-M line? Might it also mean its continuation in an RF APS-C form? To answer my own rhetoric question - size wise, they can still get smaler than even R10 and some smaller RF-S lens might appear. I know that it will never be as small as an EOS-M equivalent, but maybe small enough for the market to buy the idea.

Where the idea does not work for me, though, is the price. If they would go under 800$, they would undermine the price point of R10 and other EOS-R APS-C cameras?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What if we just underestimate what Canon marketing speach reflects in "future upgrade" to the EOS-M line? Might it also mean its continuation in an RF APS-C form? To answer my own rhetoric question - size wise, they can still get smaler than even R10 and some smaller RF-S lens might appear. I know that it will never be as small as an EOS-M equivalent, but maybe small enough for the market to buy the idea.

Where the idea does not work for me, though, is the price. If they would go under 800$, they would undermine the price point of R10 and other EOS-R APS-C cameras?
If they are M200 style cameras, with a single dial, without an EVF and a very simplified user interface, they won't directly compete with the R10. Just look at the amount of "a real photographer uses a viewfinder" gatekeeping we get on this forum :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The M6II is widely available in the US, body in both color options and various lens ± EVF kits, direct from Canon USA as well as from major authorized retailers. In fact, I'm about to order one – I use an M6 for travel, and my oldest child has been using my old M2. Now my middle child has progressed to the point where she an ILC will serve her better than a P&S, so I'll shift the M2 to her, hand down my M6 to my oldest, and replace it with an M6II for myself.
After adding an M6II to my cart, it occurred to me that I’ve also got an EOS R that I am planning to sell, and an RF 24-240 on that would also be a possibility for my oldest. So I put the M18-150 on the M6 and the RF 24-105/4 (not too different from the 24-240) on the R and asked her preference.

Turned out her preference was just to swap with her sister and use a P&S for simplicity and pocketability. Best laid plans and all that…

• Haha
Upvote 0
Canon management stated the M line would be continued and suggested there would be new M-series products coming.
Inaction speaks louder than words.

For comparison:

"Asked to comment on a report by respected US website dpreview.com, which believes the Nikon 1 system is no longer in development, Brinkman said: ‘No, it’s not ending. Those are rumours. You can expect the J series especially to continue. This is really our mainstream model."

- Nikon Europe product manager Jordi Brinkman, 2016

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Inaction speaks louder than words.

For comparison:

"Asked to comment on a report by respected US website dpreview.com, which believes the Nikon 1 system is no longer in development, Brinkman said: ‘No, it’s not ending. Those are rumours. You can expect the J series especially to continue. This is really our mainstream model."

- Nikon Europe product manager Jordi Brinkman, 2016
The Nikon 1 never topped any best-seller lists, and certainly didn't comprise a reasonable fraction of Nikon's corporate bottom line. You're comparing apples to, well, not oranges...maybe to the sad little clementines accidentally left in the Xmas stocking that was stored in the hot attic for 11 months before being found. Yuck.

The M system is Canon's very successful attempt to penetrate the crop MILC market and is a global best-seller, has been for several years, and accounts for 30% of Canon's camera sales and ~4% total corporate revenue, while the Nikon 1 system was their attempt at penetrating the crop sensor MILC market that manifestly failed.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
maybe before Canon starts bringing out more new camera models they ought to think hard about fulfilling the thousands of backorders on cameras like the R7 and others.. supply chain backlog is one thing.. adding to the mess at the expense of their customers that Canon seems to promote is another... all the rest are in the same boat--Nikon et al

Upvote 0
After adding an M6II to my cart, it occurred to me that I’ve also got an EOS R that I am planning to sell, and an RF 24-240 on that would also be a possibility for my oldest. So I put the M18-150 on the M6 and the RF 24-105/4 (not too different from the 24-240) on the R and asked her preference.

Turned out her preference was just to swap with her sister and use a P&S for simplicity and pocketability. Best laid plans and all that…
What a photographic family!

Upvote 0