DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

Dec 25, 2017
This can't be repeated enough - if only to maintain some sense of perspective on this issue.

When you distill it, the real beef seems to be the recovery times. Maybe that is a physical limitation, or maybe there are firmware or even hardware tweaks that can improve it in the future. But, this is a breakthrough camera in its first iteration, and its hard to see a lot of the criticism being any more than 'the camera isn't as perfect as I thought it should be'.
Jeah, the recovery time sounds to be very long (I didnt test it so far on my R5). But I dont think its that dramatic, given the fact that we can use the 4k30 mode without any problems even right after an overheat shutdown in 8k/4k60.

I think the beef comes mostly from people who dont have the camera and want to hate it, or from people who didnt read the canon informations on the camera, wich EXACTLY stated the overheat times (which turned out to be exactly correct).
I dont get it: its the most capably camera right now with the widest use-cases, but its hated for something thats exactly described by canon in the specs :-D

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
The a7s III overheats FASTER than the EOS R. Let that sink in.
I dont understand why its such a topic on the R5 while there is no camera in that form factor that can beat it :-D

"Though to be fair, what we also learned is that within 3 minutes of putting the a7S III next to an air conditioning vent, it was ready to go again… "

This is probably a pretty importance difference for many. The time limit on recording is much less of an issue if the recovery isnt so long. The review I read said indoors it could last for over 2 hours vs 25 minutes for the R5, vs 23mins against 25 in direct sunlight.

Im very happy with my R5, but I can understand the concern for those who want to do video.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
"Though to be fair, what we also learned is that within 3 minutes of putting the a7S III next to an air conditioning vent, it was ready to go again… "

This is probably a pretty importance difference for many. The time limit on recording is much less of an issue if the recovery isnt so long. The review I read said indoors it could last for over 2 hours vs 25 minutes for the R5, vs 23mins against 25 in direct sunlight.

Im very happy with my R5, but I can understand the concern for those who want to do video.
Jeah thats true. Though I guess on stuff like wedding videos its anyway pretty shocking if your camera turns into shutdown suddenly.
Though I think that canons way of working around that is better: it has a longer cooldown time, but if you are in an important situation, you can ALLWAYS switch to 4k30 that wont overheat.
Also the 4k60 mode wont overheat with an external recorder. (Not sure about the sony though?)

I think for wedding videos the 1DX II or III is still the best choice: 4k60 (which is great for wedding) without any overheat and a great AF.
For video productions a dedicated video camera is certainly best, like a c300.

Anyway, so far I am very happy with my R5. Had 3 shootings now, all went very well :)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Jeah, the recovery time sounds to be very long (I didnt test it so far on my R5). But I dont think its that dramatic, given the fact that we can use the 4k30 mode without any problems even right after an overheat shutdown in 8k/4k60.

I think the beef comes mostly from people who dont have the camera and want to hate it, or from people who didnt read the canon informations on the camera, wich EXACTLY stated the overheat times (which turned out to be exactly correct).
I dont get it: its the most capably camera right now with the widest use-cases.
I don't disagree with you - but I think the (stellar) video specs built up expectations in people that this would be the hybrid video / stills camera of their dreams, including for pro and semi-pro applications. I understand the Canon marketers wanting to headline the 8k (and 8k-derived) video modes, because that was the break-through in a camera of this size and $, but expectations were (apparently) raised to the point we see now.

The tragedy is that no-one can find anything to criticise in the R5 as a stills camera. If they hadn't included the new video modes, we'd all just be licking our licks at probably the best ($ for $) stills camera ever released ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
And this is the real problem, i cant shoot freely, im always worried that the camera could overheat so i have to conserve my use of the camera. Eventually you'll miss an important moment, thats why i wouldnt buy this camera, unless these issues were fixed.
You certainly have a valid point. Except that there are 4k settings that do not overheat.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
When you hear 45 MP, you should instantly know that it probably won't be cutting edge for video; that said, Canon did lead with the video specs and 8k. They bungled the messaging on the release.

I disagree. The YouTube idiots grabbed a piece of a rumored spec sheet and beat it into the ground until expectations were blown completely out of proportion.

The problem isn’t the messaging, it’s people not hearing what they wanted to hear and reacting in a typical way for the times.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
still better than the a7siii

By a landslide.

I just figured it out. Canon needs a brand whore like Sony Northrop.
For those of you getting the R5 and wanting an Arca-Swiss baseplate, I just wanted to mention that I just ordered a R5 baseplate & removable L bracket from ReallyRightStuff. Yes, it's expensive, but so is the R5 and all the great RF lenses. I've had the same custom base plate on my EM1_II for years and it fits the entire body bottom like a glove - so well that it makes it even better to grip than it already was. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting the best for their R5. They told me that they expect it to be delivered sometime around the end of August. And no - I'm not getting anything for saying this (but I wish I could have!) :sneaky:

RRS is worth every penny.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I don't disagree with you - but I think the (stellar) video specs built up expectations in people that this would be the hybrid video / stills camera of their dreams, including for pro and semi-pro applications. I understand the Canon marketers wanting to headline the 8k (and 8k-derived) video modes, because that was the break-through in a camera of this size and $, but expectations were (apparently) raised to the point we see now.

The tragedy is that no-one can find anything to criticise in the R5 as a stills camera. If they hadn't included the new video modes, we'd all just be licking our licks at probably the best ($ for $) stills camera ever released ...
Jeah, thats certainly true. Not sure if it was the marketing or the expectations. Maybe they should have inclduded the maximum runtimes in each mode at the first announcement of the camera and not on the official announcement.
I also think its a pretty much perfect stills camera :) especialy the AF works like magic :) I would have hoped for some more buttons, a bigger viewfinder and a mode-dial thogh =)

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Honestly? I can see this as a potential selling point. "I capture key moments of your wedding such as vows, first dance, cake cutting in stunning 8K. You can be assured these moments will be cherished and look outstanding for a generation to come"

Times have changed I guess. Usually the wedding videos I’m familiar with are buried deep in a closet somewhere and are only trotted out as a way to get stubborn party guests to leave.

Then again, with the fail rate of marriages these days I guess it could be used as a negotiating tool in the divorce - you can keep the house, but you have to keep the wedding video as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
You certainly have a valid point. Except that there are 4k settings that do not overheat.
And there's a bigger exception. If I am reading through this mess (why I am I am still not sure) you have the following scenarios:

(1) You are the videographer at a wedding using the R5. You've been recording in one of the high quality modes--8K, HQ, or 60. Just as a key moment happens--say the cake is being cut--your R5 reaches the thermal limit. You quickly switch to 4K30 and capture video of the cake cutting, saving you from the wrath of the bride.

(2) You are the videographer at a wedding using the a7siii. You've been recording in 4K60. Just as that cake cutting moment happens your a7 reaches the thermal limit and shuts down. Yes it will recover faster than the Canon under a fan--3 min or so. But by that time the cake is cut and later the bride will be horrified when you tell her you missed taking video of the moment.

Which camera is "ideal" for weddings? That's the problem with back-and-forth forum wars. People can create whatever scenario they want to prove whatever point they want.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
That is utter bullshit. Canon never claimed or suggested it could do more than it does, never. First off people were saying the 8k would be fake upsample and on and on, that wasn't Canon that was the influencers and the rumor sites. Canon said it would shoot 8k RAW internal, it does, they never said sell your RED Monstro and shoot Lord of the Rings 12 on this.
Humans assume things. There are so many psychology aspects to advertising. One of them is consumer assumption. Unless a company is going to give us full spec lists with pros and cons of using their product, consumers will assume. If they want it and like the brand , they will usually assume the best, if they hate the brand, they sometimes assume the worst. Silly fanboy stuff you know. Then some level head individuals might not come to any conclusion until the product is released and tested. The unpopular opinion would be the flawed ways that people think lead to false hope BUT I am pretty sure some ANALyst or marketing person for a company knows all this already. Personally i bought 2 of these cameras. I kinda care but also dont care about the shortcomings because as you said, Canon didnt state any lies.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Its because video specs were the most glamorized features of the camera for months.

Glamorized by the paid hacks of YouTube. Not by Canon. They listed specs and the usual gang of idiots played completely unrealistic games of ‘what if’ and people, somehow, took it as gospel.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
That is utter bullshit. Canon never claimed or suggested it could do more than it does, never. First off people were saying the 8k would be fake upsample and on and on, that wasn't Canon that was the influencers and the rumor sites. Canon said it would shoot 8k RAW internal, it does, they never said sell your RED Monstro and shoot Lord of the Rings 12 on this.

.....adult enters the chat.....

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

tbintb

5DSR, R5
May 26, 2020
All the Canon faithful freaking out when the R5 is rightly criticized . . . Guys, the camera overheats when shooting stills, too. All actions people take with the camera (reviewing pics, video, using the Live View screen) apparently contribute to heat, which eventually leads to shutdowns. Even with stills alone, I wouldn’t shoot a wedding with a single R5 body, because what if it overheats at a critical moment? Ironic that the first Canon mirrorless with dual card slots STILL can’t be trusted solo.

Does that happen with the 5D mk. IV? No? Well, then the R5 isn’t an ideal replacement. Hence: this post.
I’m genuinely sorry to hear your R5 is overheating by simply taking stills. That’s disturbing. I read on another site of someone talking about that using an older battery, and I thought it was a troll from another brand. Of course, I thought comments like that started this rumor. Maybe I’m a lucky one then? I took mine out all day Saturday in this apocalyptic Florida heat we are having this summer, and with humidity galore, where you just stand there pis*in sweat doing nothing. Anyway, my R5 took the heat better than I did. I’m wondering if a few units might be defective? I’d return yours if that’s the case. Mine has been a revelation on the stills side of things. The AF alone, trumps my old 5D3 and now my former 5D4. What a joy to use! I don’t have a clue about the video side though, as I only shoot 5 minute clips of my daughter once or twice a month.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I’m genuinely sorry to hear your R5 is overheating by simply taking stills. That’s disturbing. I read on another site of someone talking about that using an older battery, and I thought it was a troll from another brand. Of course, I thought comments like that started this rumor. Maybe I’m a lucky one then? I took mine out all day Saturday in this apocalyptic Florida heat we are having this summer, and with humidity galore, where you just stand there pis*in sweat doing nothing. Anyway, my R5 took the heat better than I did. I’m wondering if a few units might be defective? I’d return yours if that’s the case. Mine has been a revelation on the stills side of things. The AF alone, trumps my old 5D3 and now my former 5D4. What a joy to use! I don’t have a clue about the video side though, as I only shoot 5 minute clips of my daughter once or twice a month.

No, not my camera - I'm citing what others are saying and what Canon's R5 manual implies. By contrast, I'd be happy to learn that the camera does not or cannot overheat when shooting stills, alone. Sounds like you've had a great experience!

Upvote 0