DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

If you want evidence that "the R5 will overheat and refuse to shoot still images, while shooting still images, alone (no video)," well, Canon's manual implies this can happen and forumers posting here have said, anecdotally, that it has happened to them.

Given I don't own an R5, myself, I can't go out and test it, but I look forward to others doing so, and I have absolute certainty that when they do, someone will share their findings here ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 8k situation is completely understandable. Im not going to give out to them for that.

What is disappointing tho is the 4k 120fps and 4k 24p HQ modes overheating so fast.
The video quality is so damn good out of them that it sucks that we have the overheating problem.

On the other hands, it's a rock'n'roll star of a stills camera

It'd be nice if they could do some firmware fiddling to give us 4k 120 that would have a lower compression or some such that would produce less heat.

Upvote 0
If you want evidence that "the R5 will overheat and refuse to shoot still images, while shooting still images, alone (no video)," well, Canon's manual implies this can happen and forumers posting here have said, anecdotally, that it has happened to them.

Given I don't own an R5, myself, I can't go out and test it, but I look forward to others doing so, and I have absolute certainty that when they do, someone will share their findings here ;)

Don't worry dude, we can tell you don't have an R5, among other things.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
They should've promoted it primarily as an amazing stills camera (which it is), with some very good video features that have a compromise at the highest settings.

Oddly, I never expected anything different from this.

I keep reading about this misleading marketing and I think I need to work on my reading comprehension. Somehow I missed that this is supposed to be the be-all high end video camera with the ability to take stills thrown in.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI

No it doesn't. You inferred this, incorrectly.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Oddly, I never expected anything different from this.

I keep reading about this misleading marketing and I think I need to work on my reading comprehension. Somehow I missed that this is supposed to be the be-all high end video camera with the ability to take stills thrown in.

When you hear 45 MP, you should instantly know that it probably won't be cutting edge for video; that said, Canon did lead with the video specs and 8k. They bungled the messaging on the release.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I dont understand it. Why is the performance of the R5 described so badly?

- There is NO Fullframe camera in that Formfactor that funs longer in 4k60. NONE! Even the totaly video centric Sony A7S III overheats faster.
Or am I missing something?

The S1H is bigger and got only S35 in 60 fps.
The only other Fullframe is another Canon, the 1DX III (though also much bigger).

The headline should be: "Canon builds best 4k60 camera, which runs longest and also offers 8k and is one of the best photo-cameras on the market"

Also, keep in mind: even after a full overheat, you can switch IMMEDIATLY to another recording mode like 4k30 which will never overheat. There is no cooldown necessary. I just tested it.
Also, its said that 4k60 works without overheat if you use an external recorder.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I do not understand. If you shoot a clip for 5 mins and then shoot again after 10 mins will the camera not cool down a bit in between?
Some cooldown, sure, but it is 30min-2h to fully cool down (depending who you ask).
Good thing is it never locks you out from shooting stills or basic video modes.

Exactly, thank you for proving my point. Shooting for 1 hour is not "turning the camera on and doing nothing", as you've continued to post.
FYI, he's a Canon shooter and defended the video capabilities of the R.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
And this is the real problem, i cant shoot freely, im always worried that the camera could overheat so i have to conserve my use of the camera. Eventually you'll miss an important moment, thats why i wouldnt buy this camera, unless these issues were fixed.
It wont overheat in 4k60 with an external recorder. use that, problem solved.
Also, there is NO 4k60 fullframe camera on the market in a similar formfactor that can run as long as the canon without overheating. So basicaly there is no camera on the market for you ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The 8k situation is completely understandable. Im not going to give out to them for that.

What is disappointing tho is the 4k 120fps and 4k 24p HQ modes overheating so fast.
The video quality is so damn good out of them that it sucks that we have the overheating problem.

On the other hands, it's a rock'n'roll star of a stills camera

It'd be nice if they could do some firmware fiddling to give us 4k 120 that would have a lower compression or some such that would produce less heat.

Remember that the HQ modes are downsampled, which is why they look better than anyone else 4k, and why they are basically getting the same run times as the 8k. The 4k120 requires more internal processing, and is the worst of the bunch in terms of heat generation.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
I anxiously await the 50% price drop as sales plummet and the used market is saturated by dissatisfied buyers who are angry about the overheating problem.

Any wagers on when that will be?

Dont forget the R5 Mark II which canon will rush to market to make up for the hardware shortcomings of this camera. I say by christmas 2021, depending on the second wave and canon's ever plummeting stock price.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
All the Canon faithful freaking out when the R5 is rightly criticized . . . Guys, the camera overheats when shooting stills, too. All actions people take with the camera (reviewing pics, video, using the Live View screen) apparently contribute to heat, which eventually leads to shutdowns. Even with stills alone, I wouldn’t shoot a wedding with a single R5 body, because what if it overheats at a critical moment? Ironic that the first Canon mirrorless with dual card slots STILL can’t be trusted solo.
I was shooting today very extensively with the R5 in the sun and there was no sign of an overheat. It may happen, but I can not realy belive that it will. I will make sure to report here if it does.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
From Canon’s website:
“It’s an ideal choice for a large range of photographic and cinematographic environments from weddings, portraits, sports, journalism, landscape, cinematography and more.”

Looks like Canon has clearly and publicly stated that the R5 was designed to be the ideal choice for professional video. Do you own this camera? Why do you want to give Canon a pass on these obvious defects? Did you know there are reports of the R5 overheating from only shooting stills? I’m sorry, but if Canon does not directly address these defects this camera is being returned. I’ll cast my vote with my wallet. You are welcomed to do likewise.

I do own the camera.
I dont see why it shouldnt be a profesisonal video tool. Its not video centric (given alone the fact that it hase a MICRO hdmi port). But its a great tool.
Please remember: there is NO 4k60 camera on the market in that form factor with a fullframe that can shoot THAT long. AND the R5 wont overheat in 4k60 if you use an external recorder.
If it overheats, you can allways switch to 4k30.
4k30 HQ is basicaly an 8k image which is saved in a 4k image. Its not very surprising that an 8k readout overheats. Again there is NO FF camera in that class that can even do 4k60 longer than the R5 - and there is NOTHING ANYWHERE near of an 8k imge.
Canon did communicate this 100% transparent (unlike other companies). The camera performs 100% as promised. I can not see ANY sign of a defect in my camera and its hard to belive that it actualy overheatet just from stills.

Upvote 0
All the vitriol witnessed here is pretty lame - almost as lame as brand loyalty. Personally, I'm just thrilled to have some updated bodies with much improved dynamic range, low light ability & the potential to use that baller new RF50mm. I think most photographers grossly overestimate their gear needs and, as a business owner, if I can get away with buying less gadgets I definitely will!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
This is why it is best to wait for real world testing of new equipment. The R5 / R6 look awesome on paper, but overheating and long cool down times will be far too limiting for many people, including me. I regularly shoot at over 85 F, and this looks impossible for the Canons.
Looks like the Sony A7s III wins for video. (Of course, the peanut gallery will fill up with "pros will only use a dedicated video body" from everyone who has never shot a video, ignoring the ubiquitous use of DSLRs and mirrorless bodies in films and videos around the world. Hint: there's a reason pros DO use these mirrorless bodies and the DSLRs before them on film sets :rolleyes: )

Then all of the folks who have beat the Canon into the ground should quickly rush over and buy the Sony and join the chorus of “Sony is perfect” despite all of the shortcomings the new handy-cam comes with.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
This is why it is best to wait for real world testing of new equipment. The R5 / R6 look awesome on paper, but overheating and long cool down times will be far too limiting for many people, including me. I regularly shoot at over 85 F, and this looks impossible for the Canons.
Looks like the Sony A7s III wins for video. (Of course, the peanut gallery will fill up with "pros will only use a dedicated video body" from everyone who has never shot a video, ignoring the ubiquitous use of DSLRs and mirrorless bodies in films and videos around the world. Hint: there's a reason pros DO use these mirrorless bodies and the DSLRs before them on film sets :rolleyes: )
The a7s III overheats FASTER in 4k60 than the EOS R. Let that sink in. Also, if the Sony overheats, you cant use it. If the canon overheats you can switch IMMEDIATLY to a "non overheating mode" like the 4k30 mode, which is still super great btw :)

I dont understand why its such a topic on the R5 while there is no camera in that form factor that can beat it :-D

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
there is NO 4k60 camera on the market in that form factor with a fullframe that can shoot THAT long. AND the R5 wont overheat in 4k60 if you use an external recorder.
If it overheats, you can allways switch to 4k30.
4k30 HQ is basicaly an 8k image which is saved in a 4k image. Its not very surprising that an 8k readout overheats. Again there is NO FF camera in that class that can even do 4k60 longer than the R5 - and there is NOTHING ANYWHERE near of an 8k imge.
This can't be repeated enough - if only to maintain some sense of perspective on this issue.

When you distill it, the real beef seems to be the recovery times. Maybe that is a physical limitation, or maybe there are firmware or even hardware tweaks that can improve it in the future. But, this is a breakthrough camera in its first iteration, and its hard to see a lot of the criticism being any more than 'the camera isn't as perfect as I thought it should be'.

Upvote 0