DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
The manual clearly implies that you can overheat the camera to the point of inoperability shooting only stills. All you have to do is follow the logic in an if/then fashion.

(all quotes are from the R5 manual, page 284)

"General Still Photo Shooting Precautions"

if: "frequent shooting over an extended period may cause high internal temperatures"
and: "white or red icons indicate high internal camera temperature"
and: "the white icon indicates that the image quality of still photos will decline"
and: "the red icon indicates that shooting will soon be terminated automatically"

then it follows that shooting still photos can make the camera inoperable due to heat (and also, at lower temperatures, decrease the quality of still photos).

Why did you stop directly quoting when it came to the specific point you are trying to make?

Upvote 0
The manual clearly implies that you can overheat the camera to the point of inoperability shooting only stills. All you have to do is follow the logic in an if/then fashion.

(all quotes are from the R5 manual, page 284)

"General Still Photo Shooting Precautions"

if: "frequent shooting over an extended period may cause high internal temperatures"
and: "white or red icons indicate high internal camera temperature"
and: "the white icon indicates that the image quality of still photos will decline"
and: "the red icon indicates that shooting will soon be terminated automatically"

then it follows that shooting still photos can make the camera inoperable due to heat (and also, at lower temperatures, decrease the quality of still photos).

So, if I show you manuals from every camera ever made that shows this... I guess it's a wash?

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Honestly? I can see this as a potential selling point. "I capture key moments of your wedding such as vows, first dance, cake cutting in stunning 8K. You can be assured these moments will be cherished and look outstanding for a generation to come"
It would be a great selling point, but how many of us have computers capable of processing 8K video and it not taking forever? And what other options do we have for shooting a day's worth of 8K using a single camera at this time? These are all hypothetical scenarios that would be great to have, but Canon gave us the most they could on the video side, while still keeping the stills features attractive.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Ever heard of 'proxy'??
The main point I was making is...if you want to shoot a full day's worth of 8K video, the R5 isn't for you. If you look back at Canon's releases, they all say things about it being a great supporting camera to a Cinema camera. All this complaining and whining isn't going to get Canon to magically allow the R5 to shoot an hour's worth of 8K or some other HQ formats without overheating.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
You haven't made a single point. Where's the evidence for your claim that someone had stills lock out? Post it.

You didn't though. You said that page 284 of the manual says the camera will shut down due to heat from taking photos. You quoted many specific lines, but nothing that backs up your claim.

. . . I'm just reading the manual, dudes.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Should we pull up the manual from the 5D? It's literally the exact same warning.

From any Sony?

From any Nikon?

They all have similar warnings.

yes please show me where those cameras state they will overheat while shooting stills? and show me where your image quality will be compromised without a warning. and where the camera overheats when its just turned on and doing nothing.

Upvote 0
yes please show me where those cameras state they will overheat while shooting stills? and show me where your image quality will be compromised without a warning. and where the camera overheats when its just turned on and doing nothing.

Check page 577?

And it seems like you don't realize that heat degrades the IQ for all sensors.... all of them... as in every single one ever made... whether they show a warning or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
The main point is...if you want to shoot a full day's worth of 8K video, the R5 isn't for you. If you look back at Canon's releases, they all say things about it being a great supporting camera to a Cinema camera. All this complaining and whining isn't going to get Canon to magically allow the R5 to shoot an hour's worth of 8K or some other HQ formats without overheating.

nah thats not the point at all, this camera wont work even as an occasional video camera (in 8k or 4k HQ) if you also want to shoot stills or you know just leave the camera on at all. forget about all day, not even an hour of regular use.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
nah thats not the point at all, this camera wont work even as an occasional video camera (in 8k or 4k HQ) if you also want to shoot stills or you know just leave the camera on at all. forget about all day, not even an hour of regular use.

Okay, then buy a camera that will shoot 8K for more than an hour. Let me know how much you spend.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Okay, then buy a camera that will shoot 8K for more than an hour. Let me know how much you spend.

again youre saying more than an hour, but its more like a few minutes, unless its from a cold start. and then cool down for 2 hours to shoot again, what kind of professional would work like this?

even from a cold start its 30 minutes, but that's only continuous, the clock is running as long as the camera is on.

are you this much of a fan boy?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

“This played out for DPRTV‘s Jordan Drake in real life. When shooting their EOS R6 review above on the R5, he avoided taking certain spontaneous shots, always had to keep the countdown timer in mind, and spent a lot of mental energy rationing the over-sampled 4K HQ footage and especially 4K/120p, which “really chews up your remaining shooting minutes.”

Upvote 0
Check this Sony support-page
"If you're using your camera to record long movie clips or shooting many continuous bursts of still pictures, the temperature inside the camera increases. If the temperature becomes too high, a warning icon may appear and the camera shuts down to protect the circuitry. This isn't a failure and your camera simply needs to be turned off for several minutes so it can cool down. "

It shouldn't be of much trouble for you to just check camera-manuals from various brands.

Upvote 0