DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
we’re three pages in and you’re coming up with subjective responses to every objective point. Can we move on? You’ve said you don’t think the camera is good. Don’t buy one. Other cameras exist.

next point anyone?
I just wont sit back and kiss company ass. Things get better when people demand better. Never seen the point of being complacent or loyal objects unless they worth hard for your personal gain.
This is not a purpose built sports or events camera. My point in the above post was that professionals rather than perpetual whiners can understand their tools and apply them successfully. Do you really think no one ever used the overheating Sony bodies in the past to shoot a wedding?

Stop being emotional and go buy something else then. I think everyone else except you whining emotional lot are sick of hearing about everything this camera cannot do according to the mighty internet. I own this camera, have already tested it in many scenarios, and it works for my realistic needs.
You are sick of seeing text on a forum you don't agree with yet call me emotional. Make this all make some sense!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
All the Canon faithful freaking out when the R5 is rightly criticized . . . Guys, the camera overheats when shooting stills, too. All actions people take with the camera (reviewing pics, video, using the Live View screen) apparently contribute to heat, which eventually leads to shutdowns. Even with stills alone, I wouldn’t shoot a wedding with a single R5 body, because what if it overheats at a critical moment? Ironic that the first Canon mirrorless with dual card slots STILL can’t be trusted solo.

Does that happen with the 5D mk. IV? No? Well, then the R5 isn’t an ideal replacement. Hence: this post.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Why? That is the question so many people are asking, I want to see pro photographers results not production video shooters work. If I was interested in a C200 vs C300 then Gerald and Armando, PotatoJet et al would be great references, BUT the R5 is predominantly a stills orientated hybrid along the lines of the α7R IV, and Canon never said otherwise.

If you are going to compare cameras how does the R5 compare to either the 5D MkIV or the α7R IV? If you are going to rig it up with thousands of dollars worth of video grip gear and use it as you would your C500 don't be surprised when it lets you down because it cost 1/3 the price!
Its because video specs were the most glamorized features of the camera for months.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Its because video specs were the most glamorized features of the camera for months.
That is utter bullshit. Canon never claimed or suggested it could do more than it does, never. First off people were saying the 8k would be fake upsample and on and on, that wasn't Canon that was the influencers and the rumor sites. Canon said it would shoot 8k RAW internal, it does, they never said sell your RED Monstro and shoot Lord of the Rings 12 on this.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
All the Canon faithful freaking out when the R5 is rightly criticized . . . Guys, the camera overheats when shooting stills, too. All actions people take with the camera (reviewing pics, video, using the Live View screen) apparently contribute to heat, which eventually leads to shutdowns. Even with stills alone, I wouldn’t shoot a wedding with a single R5 body, because what if it overheats at a critical moment? Ironic that the first Canon mirrorless with dual card slots STILL can’t be trusted solo.

Does that happen with the 5D mk. IV? No? Well, then the R5 isn’t an ideal replacement. Hence: this post.

LOL. No it doesn't. This is why posts like yours need to be called out for the complete and total BS they are.

The body DOES NOT OVERHEAT WHEN SHOOTING STILLS. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO SHOOT STILLS in even hot weather, and extreme conditions.

There is a difference between using the body and that use contributing to the heat lockout for HQ video, and that use contributing to a heat lock out for stills.

NOBODY besides two random people on the internet posting on message forums has provided ANY evidence, or even a suggestion that it overheats with stills. To the contrary there are plenty of videos that state that IT NEVER GETS LOCKED OUT OF STILLS.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
That is utter bullshit. Canon never claimed or suggested it could do more than it does, never. First off people were saying the 8k would be fake upsample and on and on, that wasn't Canon that was the influencers and the rumor sites. Canon said it would shoot 8k RAW internal, it does, they never said sell your RED Monstro and shoot Lord of the Rings 12 on this.
If BMW [pick your brand] releases a sports car with high power, good acceleration, and reasonable price, I'd be excited.
If it then turns out that the car can do it only for 20min before dropping to the performance of the base model, I'd be annoyed.
No, that does not mean that I want to take the car racing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
LOL. No it doesn't. This is why posts like yours need to be called out for the complete and total BS they are.

The body DOES NOT OVERHEAT WHEN SHOOTING STILLS. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO SHOOT STILLS in even hot weather, and extreme conditions.

There is a difference between using the body and that use contributing to the heat lockout for HQ video, and that use contributing to a heat lock out for stills.

NOBODY besides two random people on the internet posting on message forums has provided ANY evidence, or even a suggestion that it overheats with stills. To the contrary there are plenty of videos that state that IT NEVER GETS LOCKED OUT OF STILLS.

Evidence?

Upvote 0
I'm from Aus, so Aus pricing.
For the price of ONE R5, you can buy TWO 5Div (when discount) or TWO R.
Both 5Div and R and pretty much every other Canon 4K camera can shoot 4K reliably without shutdown. Their 4K is slightly less quality than the R5, but is it worth paying double the 5Div price?
The R5 was supposed to convert on the fence pro dslr users to the new mount. I wander how many or few will do so, when the 5Div is a workhorse, is half the price, and they can continue with their EF lenses.
Well I’ll be upgrading for the AF, tilt screen, and higher MP and the RF glass (and the EF adaptation) I’ll probably never use the video as never even looked at the video menus on my Mk4 let alone shot any video at all with it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If BMW [pick your brand] releases a next sport car with 200HP+, good acceleration, and reasonable price, I'd be excited.
If it then turns out that the car can do it only for 20min before dropping to the performance of the base model, I'd be annoyed.
No, that does not mean that I want to take the car racing.
OK, Spend $2,500,000 on a 250mph Bugatti and get pissed when it runs out of a full tank of fuel after 12 minutes, because that is what it does and that is life my friend. So run your Chiron performance for 12 minutes and your $2,500,000 is a brick, the $4,000 Canon will still keep shooting video and stills because it will never brick like a Chiron out of fuel.

Upvote 0
"Doing a wedding shoot" doesn't seem like torture testing though?

The R5 is absolutely the camera to convert me to the RF mount for photography. I just need it to be about 20% cheaper!
I think they should have taken the more high end video specs out and made it a stills centered body with just a flippy screen rather than fully articulated as regular flipping is better for stills (think waist level shooting and holding above your head) And then made an un weather sealed version with an internal fan for the video set with all the video bells and whistles and priced them both accordingly.

Upvote 0
Evidence?

I had to LOL at the request considering your claim, but I'll bite.

Here are just a few of the multitude of reviews that relay zero shut down with stills...

The list can go on, and on... several of these specifically speak to using stills post video shutdown in harsh conditions (like out hiking in maui).

Tons of videos from well respected content creators talking about how stills is never down.

Now... where's the evidence to support your claim?

Let me guess.... some message board posts.

Upvote 0

navastronia

Aug 31, 2018
Quote the part of that page which indicates shooting photos will render the camera inoperable.

The manual clearly implies that you can overheat the camera to the point of inoperability shooting only stills. All you have to do is follow the logic in an if/then fashion.

(all quotes are from the R5 manual, page 284)

"General Still Photo Shooting Precautions"

if: "frequent shooting over an extended period may cause high internal temperatures"
and: "white or red icons indicate high internal camera temperature"
and: "the white icon indicates that the image quality of still photos will decline"
and: "the red icon indicates that shooting will soon be terminated automatically"

then it follows that shooting still photos can make the camera inoperable due to heat (and also, at lower temperatures, decrease the quality of still photos).

Upvote 0