EOS M related camera bodies coming in late August 2019 [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Not much has happened with the EOS M camera lineup since the very successful EOS M50 launched back in February of 2018. The advent of the EOS R system has put a certain cloud over the future of the EOS M system, but Canon executives continue to say they will invest in the system in the future, though they’ve never really committed to how long into the future we’ll see new EOS M products.
We’re told that the EOS M camera lineup will be addressed in late August with a replacement for at least the EOS M5 and that the EOS M6 isn’t going to see a direct replacement. The source suggested the EOS M lineup will consist of 3 camera bodies in 2020, an EOS M500, EOS M50 and EOS M5 Mark II.
The same source said 2 new EF-M lenses will arrive alongside the new camera body, though what those lenses are was unknown.
This is [CR1], so take it with the needed grain of salt.

Continue reading...

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Here's what I'm hoping: (1) the 18-150 becomes a 15-150; (2) the M5-2 goes way upmarket and is a test bed for speed and focusing improvements destined for the RF Sport Camera. It is essentially the 7D2 replacement.

Also, there is a new Metabones speed booster for EF-to-EF-M. However, because the Canon crop factor is 1.6 instead of 1.5, the resulting crop factor is 1.15 instead of 1.07.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I get the sense that Canon is sending a message that whether it is full-frame or aps-c, or whether it is mirrorless or DSLR, they intend to be the dominant player in the market. Not conceding any territory to any competitor and not trying to arbitrarily shit customers to one format over another.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Generally a win win situation for me: Thinking about a 2nd M50 body for a EF-M 32 - EF 70-200 IS combo. DPAF squeezes every bit of sharpness from both lenses and the M50 is a very responsive camera.

Whatever will be released, may bring the M50 prices down a little bit or might be a good companion to my existing M50 ...

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I love love LOVE the M cameras and lenses. I would like to see a new M5 Mark II that's very robust with a similar layout to what we have now and a slightly deeper grip for better ergonomics when adapting EF lenses. But a new pair of lenses sounds good. The system is missing an 85mm equivalent or even another pancake lens. I would personally like a 15mm f/1.4 pancake or slim lens or a solid telephoto that reaches at least 300mm.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Ooooh... I'm excited about the EF-M lenses already.

I'll like to see an improved big zoom lens than the current EF-M 18-150 mm cos the latter is just too prone to flare.

The patents are already out for
EF-M 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6
EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3
EF-M 18-130mm f/3.4-5.6
EF-M 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3
EF-M 15-130mm f/3.5-6.3
EF-M 8-15mm fisheye
(See this and this).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
One of the reasons I got rid of my M5 were the controls on the back. Far too easy to make a change unknowingly. Very customizable sure but in the end I was essentially turning off everything to make it work for me, not the kind of system I want to buy into. I hope the M52 addresses this because all other reasons, I liked the system, even with the Canon ML 'EARLY DEVELOPMENTAL STAGE' EVF (however it blew away the Oly Pen evf which was horribly contrasty)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not rocket science to foresee that if the rumoured 32.5 APSC sensor will arrive in an 80D replacement, that soon after it will make it's way into the M form factor. Canon have done this historically and it makes sense to get the most out of costly sensor development by using it across as wide a range of cameras as possible. I also don't see the argument that the R series will replace or diminish the M series. It's one of Canon's biggest sellers particularly in Japan and has a very different appeal. If you're looking for a truly lightweight, easy to carry system then the M is it, my M5, 11-22, 15-45 and 55-200 weigh next to nothing and are a joy to use when walking around all day.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I would love to see a 400mm F5.6 EF-M for hiking and birding.
The size and weight of a 400mm lens tends to be dominated by the size and weight of the front elements. Also, the rearmost element of a long telephoto lens is usually deeply recessed so being in a mirrorless system doesn't gain much either. Therefore, there is not likely to be much difference between a 400 f/5.6 M, a 400 f/5.6 EF and 400 f/5.6 RF. You might as well buy the EF version and the EF-to-M adapter and start shooting.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
As long as Canon sticks to the current EF-M lens format with a 60mm barrel I believe lenses beyond 200 are unlikely. The largest entrance pupils so far are around 35mm - I don't think they can grow too much beyond that. At 35mm, a 300 would have an f-stop around 8.5 and a 400 would be around 11.4. Even at 40mm, the numbers are 7.5 and 10.0. Don't think there will be much of a market for slow lenses like that. As others have already stated, a 400mm f/5.6 is going to be about the same size in EF-M format.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As long as Canon sticks to the current EF-M lens format with a 60mm barrel I believe lenses beyond 200 are unlikely...

Yes. Canon has never seen the need to offer EF-S lenses in local focal lengths. No reason why they would do so with EF-M.

Upvote 0