First Images & More Specifications for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II Leak

May 11, 2017
I find myself wondering how the 6DII will stack up against the 80D. Are they substantially the same camera except for sensor size? As far as sensor size is concerned: At what print size will the difference between the sensors become noticable at normal viewing distances at lowish ISO's? At what ISO will differences in the performance of the two sensors become noticable (in 12x18 prints, for example).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
GMCPhotographics said:
What's the 5 axis image stabilisation about? Is that IS built into the sensor? Or is it some funky electronic sensor pixel algorithms that simulate IS?

Two axes are lens IS, the other three are sensor-based. It's only for video, because video capture doesn't use the full area of the sensor.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
I think Canon has designed this camera to kill the second hand 5D3 market. anyone in the market for a used 5d3 would probably look at this camera and think its only a few hundred $ £ € more for new vs used, warranty vs none. I will strongly consider changing my back-up 5D3 for this camera. new sensor performance, lower light focusing, possibly better high ISO handling.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
GMCPhotographics said:
What's the 5 axis image stabilisation about? Is that IS built into the sensor? Or is it some funky electronic sensor pixel algorithms that simulate IS?
Funky!

When shooting video, you have a cropped image from the middle of the sensor. If the camera jitters while you are shooting, the scene that you wish to capture moves around on the sensor, this version of IS allows the recorded image to shift to the pixels that the image has moved to. It is kind of like shooting in 2.7K and using Premiere to run it's IS function, and the cropping the final output to 2K, but in this case it is all in camera.....

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Assworms said:
Looks like the focusing screen is not interchangeable, so no current full frame canon cameras canons besides 1ds are usable with manual focus lenses, FUNNYHEADS!

Needless vulgarity aside, that's simply an unfortunate side effect of Canon's "Intelligent Viewfinder" feature where the focusing screen has an integrated LCD layer to display overlaid info.

Upvote 0
BillB said:
I find myself wondering how the 6DII will stack up against the 80D. Are they substantially the same camera except for sensor size? As far as sensor size is concerned: At what print size will the difference between the sensors become noticable at normal viewing distances at lowish ISO's? At what ISO will differences in the performance of the two sensors become noticable (in 12x18 prints, for example).

I have the 80D & original 6D. At low iso in good light on a 12 x18 print I doubt you'd notice much if any difference. However for low light performance the 6D's sensor is far superior with much less noise so the MKII should be even better.

I like to use the 6D for landscapes/general shooting & the 80D for airshows etc where the cropped sensor effectively makes the 100-400 into an 160 - 640.

I'll be getting the 6D MKII but will wait a while to see reviews & also to see if the price drops say after Christmas.

I think whenever a new camera is announced there are always some people who are dissatisfied that it doesn't include various features that they would like to see; we all have different wants - to me, I really wanted to see GPS included again & an articulated touch screen whereas 4K video & dual card slots don't bother me. That's just me though; to others 4k video & dual card slots may be a deal breaker but GPS might be important.

There's never going to be a camera that's perfect for everyone but the new 6D MKII is near to that for me at least :)

Upvote 0
Drum said:
I think Canon has designed this camera to kill the second hand 5D3 market. anyone in the market for a used 5d3 would probably look at this camera and think its only a few hundred $ £ € more for new vs used, warranty vs none. I will strongly consider changing my back-up 5D3 for this camera. new sensor performance, lower light focusing, possibly better high ISO handling.

In the UK, the Canon 5DMk3 is now £2000 New, the rough price the Canon 6DMk2 will be. So second hand units will be considerably cheaper.

Upvote 0
BillB said:

Think it will stack up just like the 6D stacked up to the 60D back then. In therms of printing, its depending a lot of course in what the subject was in what kind of light and editing. Overall the 6D2 will be better in recovering the shadows and highlight, which can be usefull in high contrast situations (sunsets and the likes).

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
JMKE said:
BillB said:

Think it will stack up just like the 6D stacked up to the 60D back then. In therms of printing, its depending a lot of course in what the subject was in what kind of light and editing. Overall the 6D2 will be better in recovering the shadows and highlight, which can be usefull in high contrast situations (sunsets and the likes).

This chart, comparing the DR of the 6D, 60D, 5D4, and 80D, probably gives some indication of how the 6D2 is going to perform. Note that the 80D actually handily beats the original 6D at ISO 100, thanks to the new sensor tech with on-chip ADCs!

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
BillB said:
I find myself wondering how the 6DII will stack up against the 80D. Are they substantially the same camera except for sensor size?

Currently it appears that the 6D2 is going to be the 80D with the following changes:

+ 1.5x sensor area (total of 2.5x)
+ 2 Mpix
+ 1 DiGIC gen (6 -> 7)
+ ~2 stops max ISO
+ Bluetooth
+ Electronic video IS
+ GPS
+ 4K timelapse instead of HD
+ Dedicated playback zoom button

- 0.5 FPS
- 1 stop max shutter speed
-? flash sync speed?

+- AF system
+- HD video
+- Vari-angle touch screen
+- Controls and control layout
+- Roughly size and dimensions
+- Single SD card slot
+- Cable terminals?

? Buffer (the bitrate required is essentially the same as the 80D but the DiGIC 7 is faster)
? Headphone jack?? (possibly hidden behind the usb/hdmi port cover in the pic)

FWIW, I don't think it's a coincidence that 24 Mpix * 7 fps basically equals 26 Mpix * 6.5 fps.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
MayaTlab said:
Khalai said:
MayaTlab said:
Khalai said:
Estimated price should be 1999 USD/1999 EUR.

Do you have a source for the price in euro ?

At current exchange rates it would be surprising to see a €1999 price.

I'm just guesstimating, since USD prices are usually w/o VAT or sales tax, while EUR prices are not. Whether we like it or not, conversion rate was 1:1 for a long time to much dismay from EU citizens (myself included).

Source is very own CR site with CR3 rating: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32819.0

The 1:1 conversion rate has been gone for a while now. Personally, unless the US price has been determined to milk US consumers, I'm expecting the 6D to come at around €2199.

Dammit! You are correct. If I take 1999 USD and add 21% VAT (Czechia) it's around 2150 € :mad:

I expect even worse EU price. It is not only about VAT but also about customer protection and warranty. EU has stricter rules than US and someone needs to pay for that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sharlin said:
Assworms said:
Looks like the focusing screen is not interchangeable, so no current full frame canon cameras canons besides 1ds are usable with manual focus lenses, FUNNYHEADS!

Needless vulgarity aside, that's simply an unfortunate side effect of Canon's "Intelligent Viewfinder" feature where the focusing screen has an integrated LCD layer to display overlaid info.

Except that my 1D X has the 'intelligent viewfinder' feature and interchangeable focusing screens.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
wildwalker said:
Drum said:

In the UK, the Canon 5DMk3 is now £2000 New, the rough price the Canon 6DMk2 will be. So second hand units will be considerably cheaper.

In Ireland used 5d3 are going around €1500- 1700 depending upon condition The price of the new 5D3 may have dropped but stocks will likely dry up very quickly, I'm sure Canon isn't going to harm 6D2 sales by having a similarly priced 5 series still in official retailers, (grey markets may still have new versions)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Sharlin said:
? Buffer (the bitrate required is essentially the same as the 80D but the DiGIC 7 is faster)

The buffer is a legit outstanding question. Although I don't think it has anything to do with the Digic chip (processing power determines frame rate not buffer storage). Honestly it's just how much memory they put in it for the buffer. Being a 6D series, I'm guessing it won't be anything substantial and if you're shooting RAW it will probably fill up quite quickly. That's one clear advantage the 7D/5D/1D cameras get, large, deep buffers.

Did the 80D improve over the 70D in this regard? I enjoyed having the 7 fps when I owned a 70D, but I feel like the buffer filled after just a second and a half or so.

Upvote 0
Khalai said:
US prices are taxless and with 1yr warranty. EU prices have to factor in VAT and 2yr warranty. Still, the difference is quite significant and unpleasant to european customers for obvious reasons. If you live in middle or eastern european country, 2199 € price tag is about twice or thrice the amount of average monthly salary.

As I said, there are advantages and disadvantages to entering a single-currency free-trade economic zone with more economically powerful neighbors. I do wonder if the feel of the price (compared to average monthly salary) in, say, Latvia is actually more painful than its price in rural Arkansas or Mississippi, which are also economically much weaker than the major cities in Texas, California, Colorado, and New York. Maybe later I'll look up average salaries, though I'm not sure I could find it specifically for the rural parts.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:

This chart, comparing the DR of the 6D, 60D, 5D4, and 80D, probably gives some indication of how the 6D2 is going to perform. Note that the 80D actually handily beats the original 6D at ISO 100, thanks to the new sensor tech with on-chip ADCs!
So if the on-chip ADC is also in the 6D2, it might/will top the 5D4. Nice!
Oh, and the Digic 7 might help some as well.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Sharlin said:
Assworms said:

Except that my 1D X has the 'intelligent viewfinder' feature and interchangeable focusing screens.

This is infuriating if true. Half my lenses are manual focus and all except one are f/2 or wider. I hope an aftermarket solution presents itself. I'm not going crop and I'm not buying a 1DX-II just to manual focus accurately.

Could someone explain what's leading them to conclude that the focusing screen is not interchangeable?

Upvote 0