First Round of EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]

Chuck Alaimo

EOS R
Feb 8, 2012
1,052
0
chuckalaimo.com
symmar22 said:
willis said:
New design and battery.. WHY CANON, WHY?! But other specs looks nice, but I'll pass if I'm not getting good deal out of that one.
New batteries because too many cameras use the same battery and people have enough BP-E6 so they don't buy new ones. If you are a serious user, you want at least a spare one, that you have to buy separately. You cannot reuse the spare from your old camera anymore. A new accessory they can make money from.
Yes, but, batteries lose their potential life over time. So even if you have a ton, they will have to be replaced at some point. Plus, i'd bet their profit margin is a lot better on lenses!
 

Chuck Alaimo

EOS R
Feb 8, 2012
1,052
0
chuckalaimo.com
nicku said:
I really hope that the resolution and sensor type are not true.... 24MP on a APS-C sensor with the current manufacturing technology is a certain disaster for Canon/7Dmk2.

Maybe they will start to use the new 180nm technology on the new sensor and than ... who knows maybe will come something worth buying in terms of sharpness and ISO performance.

Canon MUST do something with their cameras/sensors performance, because Nikon (using Sony sensors) are way ahead; every single day they loose market share. They must be little bit less greedy and ofer little more for the correct price ( like others DSLR's manufacturing companies does).

The days when they rely on the excellent lens lineup and afford to produce less bodies at higher prices are starting to vanish (and here i refer to 2012 announcements)... like in natural selection; adapt or slowly die.
Really not sure where you are getting that data. Looking at the current amazon top sellers list, 12 of the top 20 are canon - and 25 of the top 40 are canon. Nikon is doing its best to catch up, and while many on canon see that as a problem, I see that as a good thing, strong competition generally drives innovation. But, I do worry for canon on a certain level. Most of the gripes I hear on this forum are cost cost cost cost. It's too much. It doesn't do enough. This is $200 lower. Etc Etc Etc... Sorry, but I'd rather the race be to the top, better cam's, better performance. But the gripes I hear, if that was the actual voice of the market, is a race to the body. Make it cheaper, make it cheaper, make it cheaper. I'd rather spend my $$$ on a product that will last! I don't want a rebel FF that will fall apart in a year!
 

sagittariansrock

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 20, 2012
1,689
1
Houston, TX
Don Haines said:
x-vision said:
Canon Rumors said:
Specs
...
Dual DIGIC V
...
The Digic 5+ processor is a dual-core (quad-core?) Digic.
So, no need to put two Digic 5s in a camera when a single Digic 5+ will do.

This is [CR0].
one thing is true, two seperate single core processors will ALWAYS outperform the version where they are combined on the same chip.
Not necessarily. The chip architecture determines this. For example, transfer speeds between chips have to be taken into account- when dual processors live on the same chip transfer distances can be reduced.
 
S

symmar22

Guest
Chuck Alaimo said:
symmar22 said:
willis said:
New design and battery.. WHY CANON, WHY?! But other specs looks nice, but I'll pass if I'm not getting good deal out of that one.
New batteries because too many cameras use the same battery and people have enough BP-E6 so they don't buy new ones. If you are a serious user, you want at least a spare one, that you have to buy separately. You cannot reuse the spare from your old camera anymore. A new accessory they can make money from.
Yes, but, batteries lose their potential life over time. So even if you have a ton, they will have to be replaced at some point. Plus, i'd bet their profit margin is a lot better on lenses!
I agree, but I guess there is no small profit. I wonder if the profit margin is not even bigger on small accessories, glass is expensive to manufacture, and you cannot compress to cost past a certain point.
On the other hand, when you see the price of lens caps, cables, flashes and hoods, the margin is huge. Not even talking about battery grips, WiFi and GPS accessories.

I am very surprised how good and long lasting BP-E6s are. I can't remember when I needed more than 2 BP-E6 per day in my 5D2, and I use it sometimes all day long on tripod with live view all the time. After 3 years + of good service, they show only minimal capacity loss, I cannot say the same for my Thinkpad who needs a new battery every year. I have 3 BP-E6 to work, and I don't see the need for buying new ones yet.
 
A

AdamJ

Guest
symmar22 said:
I wonder if the profit margin is not even bigger on small accessories, glass is expensive to manufacture, and you cannot compress to cost past a certain point.
On the other hand, when you see the price of lens caps, cables, flashes and hoods, the margin is huge. Not even talking about battery grips, WiFi and GPS accessories.
+1. I pity the 600mm user who loses his lens hood.

The last four LP-E6 copies I bought were $8 each. Call me a reckless daredevil if you like but not one has exploded.
 

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
5,341
25
jonrista.com
I would be willing to bet that the new battery design was due to the same Japanese regulations that forced them to create a new battery for the 5D III and 1D X. New safety regulations often force manufacturers to do things they otherwise would not do. It is not always the corporation that makes decisions...all too frequently these days decisions are taken out of the hands of corporations by governments, to the detriment of the consumer most of the time.
 
C

crasher8

Guest
jrista said:
I would be willing to bet that the new battery design was due to the same Japanese regulations that forced them to create a new battery for the 5D III and 1D X. New safety regulations often force manufacturers to do things they otherwise would not do. It is not always the corporation that makes decisions...all too frequently these days decisions are taken out of the hands of corporations by governments, to the detriment of the consumer most of the time.
The 5D3 has a new battery? Guess I'm lucky my old 4 7D batteries happen to work! ;)
 

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
5,341
25
jonrista.com
crasher8 said:
jrista said:
I would be willing to bet that the new battery design was due to the same Japanese regulations that forced them to create a new battery for the 5D III and 1D X. New safety regulations often force manufacturers to do things they otherwise would not do. It is not always the corporation that makes decisions...all too frequently these days decisions are taken out of the hands of corporations by governments, to the detriment of the consumer most of the time.
The 5D3 has a new battery? Guess I'm lucky my old 4 7D batteries happen to work! ;)
Sorry, looks like only the 1D X got a new battery, the LP-E4N. The 1D X battery is backwards compatible with the LP-E4 though, and seems to work in the 1D IV as well. Given that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new type of battery for the 7D II work in the 7D (and, for that matter, the 5D II and III since they all seem to use the same battery.)
 

sagittariansrock

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 20, 2012
1,689
1
Houston, TX
FTb-n said:
I only want two things in the 7D2. Less noise at higher ISO -- ideally a 2 stop boost. And a locking mode dial. More AF points and higher FPS would be nice pluses, but not necessary for me.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't really care about the video improvements. All I want is better low light performance -- and a locking mode dial.
+1

It's odd how frequently the mode dial has turned accidentally lately! It amazes me that it could happen to me! When I heard initially one could get the locking one for an extra $100 I thought who needs it?
 

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
1,457
10
The Florida Peninsula
East Wind Photography said:
I find it easier to stash a 5DIII body in my coat pocket than a 1DX. ;)

neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:
Krob78 said:
I wish they would build it with the battery grip, however I know that would be very inconvenient for many folks that don't like it or it's too large for.
I don't see why anyone would want the grip to be built in and not removable.
Ha, ha! True, but not if the 5d3 is gripped East Wind! ; ::)

Granted, it's a limited and self-selecting population, but in the recent Custom Brackets poll, more people have gripped bodies than not, and the majority of people who have a grip on their body use it frequently.
 

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
1,457
10
The Florida Peninsula
pwp said:
jrista said:
HMMM...New ergonomic design? Why? The 7D's, and 5D III which borrowed from it, ergonomics are pretty damn stellar...
7D & 5D3 ergonomics are pretty good but I'd comfortably reserve the Stellar award for 1-Series bodies.

Non 1-Series bodies feel almost clunky by comparison. I use both on a daily basis. Ergonomics is one of the defining points of difference between 1-Series and 7D/5D3. Once used, it's hard to settle for less.

If the 7DII can close the gap with further ergonomic refinement then what's there to argue?

-PW
+1 Here, here!
 

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
1,457
10
The Florida Peninsula
sagittariansrock said:
FTb-n said:
I only want two things in the 7D2. Less noise at higher ISO -- ideally a 2 stop boost. And a locking mode dial. More AF points and higher FPS would be nice pluses, but not necessary for me.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't really care about the video improvements. All I want is better low light performance -- and a locking mode dial.
+1

It's odd how frequently the mode dial has turned accidentally lately! It amazes me that it could happen to me! When I heard initially one could get the locking one for an extra $100 I thought who needs it?
I've been knocking my mode dial off kilter lately too! Strange, never did until the last couple of months. I don't think it's a bad deal to have one, just didn't see the value for the $100+ upgrade when they originally offered it...
 

rpt

EOS R6
Mar 7, 2012
2,753
11
India
Krob78 said:
sagittariansrock said:
FTb-n said:
I only want two things in the 7D2. Less noise at higher ISO -- ideally a 2 stop boost. And a locking mode dial. More AF points and higher FPS would be nice pluses, but not necessary for me.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't really care about the video improvements. All I want is better low light performance -- and a locking mode dial.
+1

It's odd how frequently the mode dial has turned accidentally lately! It amazes me that it could happen to me! When I heard initially one could get the locking one for an extra $100 I thought who needs it?
I've been knocking my mode dial off kilter lately too! Strange, never did until the last couple of months. I don't think it's a bad deal to have one, just didn't see the value for the $100+ upgrade when they originally offered it...
I have not had a problem with the dial of the 300D. Never hit it and changed the setting. Also on the 5D3, I got used to the lock quite fast. No problem there either. May be the knob on the 300D was a different shape - more taper or shorter. Don't have it with me now - my daughter has it so I can't check...
 

sagittariansrock

EOS 5D Mark IV
Sep 20, 2012
1,689
1
Houston, TX
Krob78 said:
sagittariansrock said:
FTb-n said:
I only want two things in the 7D2. Less noise at higher ISO -- ideally a 2 stop boost. And a locking mode dial. More AF points and higher FPS would be nice pluses, but not necessary for me.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't really care about the video improvements. All I want is better low light performance -- and a locking mode dial.
+1

It's odd how frequently the mode dial has turned accidentally lately! It amazes me that it could happen to me! When I heard initially one could get the locking one for an extra $100 I thought who needs it?
I've been knocking my mode dial off kilter lately too! Strange, never did until the last couple of months. I don't think it's a bad deal to have one, just didn't see the value for the $100+ upgrade when they originally offered it...
Same deal here! Never happened until it started a few months ago! Doesn't even feel too loose and I never notice when bumping it- only after the fact.
 
Nov 18, 2012
1,413
0
Virginia
True but you can put the grip in another pocket too and just add it when you need it...or leave it off if you need less weight. Ideally it's the best option to have it removable.

Krob78 said:
East Wind Photography said:
I find it easier to stash a 5DIII body in my coat pocket than a 1DX. ;)

neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:
Krob78 said:
I wish they would build it with the battery grip, however I know that would be very inconvenient for many folks that don't like it or it's too large for.
I don't see why anyone would want the grip to be built in and not removable.
Ha, ha! True, but not if the 5d3 is gripped East Wind! ; ::)

Granted, it's a limited and self-selecting population, but in the recent Custom Brackets poll, more people have gripped bodies than not, and the majority of people who have a grip on their body use it frequently.
 

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
5,341
25
jonrista.com
East Wind Photography said:
True but you can put the grip in another pocket too and just add it when you need it...or leave it off if you need less weight. Ideally it's the best option to have it removable.

Krob78 said:
East Wind Photography said:
I find it easier to stash a 5DIII body in my coat pocket than a 1DX. ;)

neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:
Krob78 said:
I wish they would build it with the battery grip, however I know that would be very inconvenient for many folks that don't like it or it's too large for.
I don't see why anyone would want the grip to be built in and not removable.
Ha, ha! True, but not if the 5d3 is gripped East Wind! ; ::)

Granted, it's a limited and self-selecting population, but in the recent Custom Brackets poll, more people have gripped bodies than not, and the majority of people who have a grip on their body use it frequently.
A fully integrated grip allows better weather sealing, improves stability and rigidity, and can allow better placement of additional or secondary buttons and functionality than a removable grip. For those types, such as myself, that pretty much always use a grip anyway and never remove it, an integrated grip is ideal.

The real key point to having an integrated grip though is better weather sealing...you just plain and simply can't seal a removable grip the same way...and weather sealing is one of the key selling points of the 1D line.
 

Botts

EOS RP
Sep 24, 2012
214
3
jrista said:
East Wind Photography said:
True but you can put the grip in another pocket too and just add it when you need it...or leave it off if you need less weight. Ideally it's the best option to have it removable.

Krob78 said:
East Wind Photography said:
I find it easier to stash a 5DIII body in my coat pocket than a 1DX. ;)

neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:
Krob78 said:
I wish they would build it with the battery grip, however I know that would be very inconvenient for many folks that don't like it or it's too large for.
I don't see why anyone would want the grip to be built in and not removable.
Ha, ha! True, but not if the 5d3 is gripped East Wind! ; ::)

Granted, it's a limited and self-selecting population, but in the recent Custom Brackets poll, more people have gripped bodies than not, and the majority of people who have a grip on their body use it frequently.
A fully integrated grip allows better weather sealing, improves stability and rigidity, and can allow better placement of additional or secondary buttons and functionality than a removable grip. For those types, such as myself, that pretty much always use a grip anyway and never remove it, an integrated grip is ideal.

The real key point to having an integrated grip though is better weather sealing...you just plain and simply can't seal a removable grip the same way...and weather sealing is one of the key selling points of the 1D line.
Your comment about weather sealing is very true. I was shooting during 1 inch per hour rain in Florida with my 7D gripped, after about 4 hours, the buttons on the back of the 7D died which is usually a good indication that the 7D has been liquid damaged and is dead. However, I decided to component isolate and remove the grip, turns out the grip had died but not the 7D.

Turns out that the Canon grips are not weather sealed. If the camera/grip are in the rain, the weather sealing of the body is moot. With a permanent grip, the weather sealing would be much better.
 

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
5,341
25
jonrista.com
Botts said:
jrista said:
A fully integrated grip allows better weather sealing, improves stability and rigidity, and can allow better placement of additional or secondary buttons and functionality than a removable grip. For those types, such as myself, that pretty much always use a grip anyway and never remove it, an integrated grip is ideal.

The real key point to having an integrated grip though is better weather sealing...you just plain and simply can't seal a removable grip the same way...and weather sealing is one of the key selling points of the 1D line.
Your comment about weather sealing is very true. I was shooting during 1 inch per hour rain in Florida with my 7D gripped, after about 4 hours, the buttons on the back of the 7D died which is usually a good indication that the 7D has been liquid damaged and is dead. However, I decided to component isolate and remove the grip, turns out the grip had died but not the 7D.

Turns out that the Canon grips are not weather sealed. If the camera/grip are in the rain, the weather sealing of the body is moot. With a permanent grip, the weather sealing would be much better.
Personally, I use a Zeikos grip on my 7D. It actually does have some weather sealing. During Spring in 2012, I used my 7D in rain, sleet, snow, and even hail for over eight hours (it was a hell of a day for weather!) There were times with both my 100-400mm lens and the 7D were completely soaked, but nothing died, and everything seemed to work perfectly. When I got home and popped out the batteries for a recharge, I noticed that the Zeikos grip actually had a little foam rubber sealing gasket around the battery compartment, and again around the extension that fits into the 7D's battery cavity. I figure the buttons are probably moderately sealed...can't say if they are as good as the 7D's sealing or not. Regardless, if you want a grip for the 7D that can hold up to the weather, the Zeikos is it (and cheaper to boot)! 8)