Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The issue I have with the Fuji X100 is that although it has the ‘hybrid’ viewfinder it’s still very much a digital AF camera with a fixed focal length lens, that just looks interesting but not a lot else. Unless you want relatively shallow dof I think the G1Xiii is a much better camera.
But a Canon version of the X100 with genuine rangefinder hybrid viewfinder and decent, physical helicoil manual focusing would be a pleasant casual camera to use. Manual focusing implementation on the X100 series is not in keeping with the look of the camera ; it’s crap.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Buddy of mine recently acquired the Nikon Zf. He brought it over for me to check out and it's really slick. I wouldn't use it for professional work because it's simply not comfortable to hold in the hands for an all day shoot, but for the "cool factor" I really liked it and would certainly use it for vacations or just street photography. I was really hoping Canon would come out with something similar... and then I see this... a "fixed lens" camera? Canon never ceases to amaze me in how they can disappoint their loyal customers.
What about Fuji disappointing all their loyal customers with the fixed focal length lens X100 series ? I was under the impression the camera was popular.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Canon should definitely do this! I understand that many practical, results-oriented people don't understand the retro/pocketable/analog camera thing. But shooting with the X100V and VI is FUN. The optical viewfinder, with its digital overlay and parralax correction, is just brilliant.

The Nikon Zf is definitely going for the same market but Nikon just completely misunderstood the assignment. The fact that there's no aperture ring on the lens, no Auto settings on the rings they do have, and no optical viewfinder just loses the magic.

While the X100 series is brilliant, there's A TON of room for improvement which means a real opportunity for Canon. The menus and usability of the X100 series are absolutely appalling. For example, I couldn't figure out how to record video, and I searched the manual, and still couldn't find it. I finally found a Reddit post that said you have to press the Drive/Delete button to switch to video mode... WTH?

If Canon can make a simplified, intuitive X100-style hybrid OVF/EVF rangefinder, they can absolutely clean up. Fixed lens, but a little wider and a little faster, like 18mm f/1.4 (APS-C). Internal memory only. Smart subject detection autofocus that doesn't require the user to change settings to switch between cats and people. And most importantly, for this audience, VERY FEW SETTINGS. Let the camera choose everything, or go full manual, but the user guide should be like 20 pages tops.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I was really hoping Canon would come out with something similar... and then I see this... a "fixed lens" camera? Canon never ceases to amaze me in how they can disappoint their loyal customers.
A fixed lens retro cam wouldn't disappoint me at all, and I've been exclusively a Canon shooter for 15 years. However! I have pre-ordered the Fujifilm X100VI precisely because of its small, fixed lens design. I'm interested in something that supplements my Canon gear for those times I don't want to carry around my R5 and whatever lens, but still want a "real" camera to be able to capture some in-the-moment type shots. No analysis paralysis, no camera bags, just shoot!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
A fixed lens retro cam wouldn't disappoint me at all, and I've been exclusively a Canon shooter for 15 years. However! I have pre-ordered the Fujifilm X100VI precisely because of its small, fixed lens design. I'm interested in something that supplements my Canon gear for those times I don't want to carry around my R5 and whatever lens, but still want a "real" camera to be able to capture some in-the-moment type shots. No analysis paralysis, no camera bags, just shoot!
I'd prefer interchangeable lenses... and all the modern tech that you'd find in the R5 in the retro camera. The Zf is basically the Z6 II, with the autofocus of the Z8, in a retro body.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If Canon can make a simplified, intuitive X100-style hybrid OVF/EVF rangefinder, they can absolutely clean up.
The question is, absolutely clean up what? A decade ago, there were 45 million fixed-lens cameras sold, about three times the number of ILCs. Last year, there were 1.7 million fixed-lens cameras, less than 30% of the number of ILCs. I don't know what fraction of Fuji's sales the X100 line represents, but given that Fuji's entire market share is a small fraction of Canon's, this would represent a very niche segment for Canon. Not that they don't go after those occasionally (e.g. the astro-focused bodies, but the development resources needed for those cameras are not significant).

Upvote 0
I would personally buy such a camera in a heartbeat. The big hype about the Fuji X100V doesn't only have to do with its retro-aesthetics.
It's the leaf shutter combined with a fast lens which is able to create a look that cannot easily be achieved with any camera. Or at least not with this tiny setup. Interestingly Canon had leaf-shutter cameras in the past but missed out on advertising this feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Hasn't design moved on over the years to improve ergonomics?
Retro appears to mean going backward in usability but appeals to nostalgia or those looking for a particular aesthetic?
I believe to make a distinction between good ergonomics, meaning recent cameras, and bad ergonomics, meaning so-called retro-designed cameras, is, no offense meant, absurd.
We all know that recent cameras, like Sony, Fuji or OM models have partly horrible ergonomics. While , on the other hand, Leica Ms or SLs have superb ergonomics, at least in my opinion. So, the simplistic assertion "retro = bad, newer = good is subjective and flawed.
My 2 Euro-cents...:)

Upvote 0
Canon should definitely do this! I understand that many practical, results-oriented people don't understand the retro/pocketable/analog camera thing. But shooting with the X100V and VI is FUN. The optical viewfinder, with its digital overlay and parralax correction, is just brilliant.

The Nikon Zf is definitely going for the same market but Nikon just completely misunderstood the assignment. The fact that there's no aperture ring on the lens, no Auto settings on the rings they do have, and no optical viewfinder just loses the magic.

While the X100 series is brilliant, there's A TON of room for improvement which means a real opportunity for Canon. The menus and usability of the X100 series are absolutely appalling. For example, I couldn't figure out how to record video, and I searched the manual, and still couldn't find it. I finally found a Reddit post that said you have to press the Drive/Delete button to switch to video mode... WTH?

If Canon can make a simplified, intuitive X100-style hybrid OVF/EVF rangefinder, they can absolutely clean up. Fixed lens, but a little wider and a little faster, like 18mm f/1.4 (APS-C). Internal memory only. Smart subject detection autofocus that doesn't require the user to change settings to switch between cats and people. And most importantly, for this audience, VERY FEW SETTINGS. Let the camera choose everything, or go full manual, but the user guide should be like 20 pages tops.
Disagree about the Zf. I've used it, and it's pretty fantastic. There's no "magic" loss. If I want a true retro camera, I'll actually pick up one of my antiques off my shelf behind me, which I do on occasion (just to be clear). But having all the modern luxuries in a retro style camera is awesome... in my opinion. It's a lot of fun to use. I really wish Canon had one like it.

Upvote 0
My source just told me that the 35mm L has been put on hold and postponed to 2026, and all resources where steered to the retro camera.

Camera will have the 24mpx sensor from current R100/50/10, and the fixed focal lens will be a 21mm f7.1 (33mm FF equivalent) without IS; someone argued that a 6.3 lens would have been better, but the project manager responded that user can just raise iso, as modern sensors allow for it.

Price will be close to R8/R7 level; it's retro, so only VGA video capabilities.
You can buy a 720p30 firmware update for extra 299$ and 1080p24 for 499$; no 4k option.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My source just told me that the 35mm L has been put on hold and postponed to 2026, and all resources where steered to the retro camera.

Camera will have the 24mpx sensor from current R100/50/10, and the fixed focal lens will be a 21mm f7.1 (33mm FF equivalent) without IS; someone argued that a 6.3 lens would have been better, but the project manager responded that user can just raise iso, as modern sensors allow for it.

Price will be close to R8/R7 level; it's retro, so only VGA video capabilities.
You can buy a 720p30 firmware update for extra 299$ and 1080p24 for 499$; no 4k option.
Perfect. Canon knows the hipsters will be all over this, and they will indeed 'clean up'!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
rifle1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
It would be hard to find a camera with better ergonomics than a Leica M. It's not at all about nostalgia!
Can you help me understand why a Leica M has better ergonomics that current (reasonably sized) Canon bodies which are all relatively similar in design?
Surely if that is the case, why then wouldn't Canon offer this option on a permanent basis?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0