Further talk about the fate of the EOS M system

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has been some chatter about the future of the EOS M system once again after a report surfaced last week that the system would be shuttered as soon as 2021.
This isn’t a new phenomenon, the death of the EOS M system has been talked about since the launch of the EOS R system back in 2018. While Canon has continued to release new EOS M camera bodies, the lens lineup is still limping along with no apparent direction or excitement.
So is the death of the EOS M greatly exaggerated?
Not according to two people I spoke with this week. One of them is privy to the roadmap going forward and I am told that there is nothing in regards to the EOS M in the 2021 roadmap. The source called this “unusual”, but cautioned that the current global challenges may be the reason and that a roadmap could be updated later in Q4.
Another source claims that the system is going to go...

Continue reading...

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
It seems stupid to release another M body and then kill the line. People interested in an M body are not just going to auto-upgrade to an APS-C RF day 1 when it comes out. If they really are putting out a "Cadillac" M body later this year, then I hope there will be a couple of lenses as well, and the APS-C RF gets pushed back another year or two to late 2022 or 2023, allowing more space for the RF 5DS and 1D equivalents to hit first.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
It would be a strange decision to abandon such a popular system, especially after having introduced the M 6II...
Not convinced M users would rather buy a much bigger APS-C R model.
An EOS 7 DII (future EOS R) user isn't the usual clientele for the M system, and the EOS 90 D no replacement for the M 5 or 50.
Extreme compactness still is THE argument for the M, and, for some, it's disadvantage.
And stupid me was just saving money for the coming "uber M"

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So no new EF-M lenses expected in 2021? A body possibly expected in 2021. And the series will eventually die.

I think an awful lot is being inferred here. There weren't any new lenses this year, either. And everything will die someday. It's obvious M development is on hold while R is a priority, but I think now that the R5 and R6 establish that Canon is still a company to be reckoned with their attention can turn to other matters.

Upvote 0
not on a 2021 roadmap doesn’t bother me if they refresh m bodies in 2020. Also as CanonRumors stated, that roadmap hasn’t been refreshed due to Covid. The m sells well, but I don’t think the segment needs it refreshed as often.

Not on a 2022 roadmap would be more significant.

Love to see how Canon thinks it can offer M users a migration to R - no option to take lenses, batteries and in fact anything.

Remember they may have plans but those change, and even if they do eventually decide sometime in 2022/3 to cease development well any M kit you have will continue to work well for many years to come.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
A replacement using a RP mount makes sense. It can still be a small camera, but it would simplify production to be able to have common components. You might even be able to use FF lenses or APS-C lenses on FF bodies. It never made sense to have two different and non adaptable lens systems.

Even when the average M user is never likely to buy an R body costing twice as much, and lenses costing twice as much? I think M users are less interested in upgrading to the more expensive R/RF ecosystem. I discount people here as being representative of the larger M segment.

And if Canon does drop it and only gives me the option to ditch all my kit, then when I come to having to replace my Ms as they’re no longer repairable, if Canon doesn’t offer significantly better than Fuji then my M funds will go to them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
A replacement using a RP mount makes sense. It can still be a small camera, but it would simplify production to be able to have common components. You might even be able to use FF lenses or APS-C lenses on FF bodies. It never made sense to have two different and non adaptable lens systems.
EXACTLY! The M system is popular because of the size. And if Canon can create a uniform lens mount system across ALL lines AND still make subcompact, M sized RF mount APSC bodies, there is no reason to maintain the M line. Because people who want small cameras largely dont care whether the name is M or RF so long as they are comparably small. We have not yet seen one single RF-C lens yet. But they are probably going to be very compact like the M line, even if the throat is 7mm bigger. If Canon feels they can maintain or grow their market from M to RF-C, then they will. The cost savings and profit potential would be much better.

Now the first RF-C will probably be standard sized bodies like a 7D replacement. But it wont be long before we see some subcompact RF-C bodies moving into M territory. Canon seems to have little to no interest in making M lenses, but they are cranking out glass and patents for RF like water from a broken hydrant

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The M mount is 47mm in diameter and the RF mount is 54mm in diameter.

An APS-C RF mount cameras could be as small as the M line.

They would just need to add some smaller designed RF lenses.

Great news!
And the flange depth is only 2mm difference, which is nothing

Upvote 0
Well, I'm just gonna say it - this is dumb. Apparently if you want a decent camera now, you will need to buy into a system with Super Expensive lenses. The R system is nice, but I'm just trying to take photos of my cats in the back yard or of my friends doing dumb stuff. Just really personal mementos. I would never buy a FF camera, its too expensive. An RP with a 50mm f/1.2 is damn near $4k. An M6ii with a 32mm f/1.4 is well under 2k.

Lowest quality body with a fast 50mm $4k.

Highest quality body with fast 50mm equivalent $1750.

For $4k I can get a body, a 22mm, a 32mm, a 56mm, a 15-45mm zoom, a 65mm macro and a 18-200mm zoom with a bag and warranties. For what I'm shooting there is no need for more.

Ill buy the new M flagship as long as it checks the boxes and then I'm done for the next decade if this is the choice. Ill wait for the R brand to come down and buy them second hand so Canon can eat it. This is an anti consumer move that limits choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Well, I'm just gonna say it - this is dumb. Apparently if you want a decent camera now, you will need to buy into a system with Super Expensive lenses. The R system is nice, but I'm just trying to take photos of my cats in the back yard or of my friends doing dumb stuff. Just really personal mementos. I would never buy a FF camera, its too expensive. An RP with a 50mm f/1.2 is damn near $4k. An M6ii with a 32mm f/1.4 is well under 2k.

Lowest quality body with a fast 50mm $4k.

Highest quality body with fast 50mm equivalent $1750.

For $4k I can get a body, a 22mm, a 32mm, a 56mm, a 15-45mm zoom, a 65mm macro and a 18-200mm zoom with a bag and warranties. For what I'm shooting there is no need for more.

Ill buy the new M flagship as long as it checks the boxes and then I'm done for the next decade if this is the choice. Ill wait for the R brand to come down and buy them second hand so Canon can eat it. This is an anti consumer move that limits choice.

The point is an APS-C RF body would necessitate cheaper APS-C-only lenses of the sort you mention. The benefit would be if you wanted, you could also use regular RF lenses on that body. And you could pick and choose. And eventually get a full-frame body if you were really serious about it. But wouldn't have to. There is no path for M users to become more serious about photography other than ditching the entire system.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The point is an APS-C RF body would necessitate cheaper APS-C-only lenses of the sort you mention. The benefit would be if you wanted, you could also use regular RF lenses on that body. And you could pick and choose. And eventually get a full-frame body if you were really serious about it. But wouldn't have to. There is no path for M users to become more serious about photography other than ditching the entire system.
And the lenses I bought already - FML I guess. They got my money, no need to support the product anymore. AND thats why I'm out. I'm looking at a bunch of lenses that I'm being told to GFMS with. If this was the case they should have never put out an M6ii. Why put out a camera you won't support lens wise for more than a year? Thats a POS move in my opinion. If I do go FF, which Im not planning to, it most likely wont be with Canon.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0