Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Unfortunately there are not enough stills only photographers left to warrant it. At least that's what Canon believes or they would offer one.

Also, the resale value of such a camera would likely be low given the small market for it.
Maybe. In the small group of photographers that I know only one person has shot video. CR did a survey a couple of years ago and only a very small percentage, less than 10% I believe shot video. Not saying video is not a valued market but is it bigger than stills shooting. It would be interesting to find out:)

Upvote 0
My R5 is on preorder so please Canon send some firmware to 'fix' it before I ever use it. The Category

I appreciate this sentiment and perhaps it will be part of my way of thinking for a new body but is this from personal experience in your hands or specs? Asking seriously. I have yet to see any early adopter accounts of stills shooting examples or reviews. I am interested in these! Thanks

I'd have thought at least one serious stills photog would've been brought into the testing roster.

-------------------------------

I wanted to see this thing being dragged around a few recent US riots by a wire service staffer.

See it swinging from someones shoulder as they got pushed around by an unruly crowd.

See it getting drenched from the water jet of a riot control cannon.

See it getting bounced off police riot shields.

Seeing it functioning flawlessly in 90 plus degree heat, under those conditions............... PRICELESS.

--------------------------------

Seeing the R5 on someones porch (or in some old guys basement) with a stopwatch and digital thermometer on it tells a photographer nothing-- shame on you Canon Marketing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
Interestingly, in his live-stream he commented that the A7Riv beats the R5 when it comes to stills. It was only a passing comment while discussing other things, he didn't go into detail, but I'm keen to hear what informed that opinion.

AF - seems to be the same
Resolution - higher on the Sony
Battery - better on the Sony
IBIS - better on the Canon
FPS - higher on the Canon
LCD - better (and articulating) on the Canon
Low light Autofocus - better on the Canon

There could of course be other factors I'm missing, and it's always possible that Gerald simply finds the Sony's ergonomics and workflow to suit his needs better. But if he's basing it primarily on sensor resolution... that would be an odd rationality after noting how the A7Siii's 12MP sensor still provides enough resolution for most situations.
I've never heard anyone anywhere says that Sony's color rendition is better than Canon's until I watched his livestream.

Upvote 0
It should've been marketed like the 5Dll was, emphasis on STILLS CAMERA-- "Meet the R5, your mirrorless 5D, it has IBIS, EyeAF, Animal Face Detect and more........ (it'll even shoot some pretty decent video, if needs must)."

The 5Dll was a dogs bollock for video work, it was a nightmare. A whole cinematography ecosystem sprung up around it, Zacuto innovated their Z-Finders and all sorts of rigs for it. BUT EVERYONE was thrilled with the 5Dll, as it was never sold as the filmmakers be all end all.

It's all in the marketing approach, Canon under promised, and the camera over delivered with the 5Dll.

I think the CANON R5 is fine, just miss marketed. WHERE ARE THE STILL PHOTOGRAPHERS ACCOUNTS CANON. DOES THIS THING SHOOT FAST AND RESPONSIVELY IN STILLS MODE?

Wouldn't it have been a different story IF we'd have woken up to a barrage of YouTube adds featuring WORLD CLASS STILLS SHOOTERS all singing the R5's praises for being a MASSIVE upgrade over their technologically aging 5D's. "This thing's BRILLIANT, I can actually nail the eyes, EVERY TIME with the old EF 50/1.2, and that lens was a nightmare to focus off the ground glass accurately.............."

We could go on and on here.
It is an endless question. I guess for me all of the video features, while nice, just add to the cost and complexity of the camera. It is not the hard cost that keeps the price high but I would think the R&D costs are pretty expensive. Even saying this I would but the R5 in a heartbeat if I had the funds;)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm facing an issue with both my R5. I tried recording 4K 120fps onto my Wise 256GB card (R:1700mbps , W: 1550mbps) but less than 20 secs it keeps showing "movie recording stopped. Slow card write speed". I don't get it... I thought the Wise 256GB is fast enough? Anyone encounter the same problem?

I haven't specifically seen this (I don't have a CFexpress card yet, because I haven't figured out yet which one to buy), but cards in general start out writing at their max speed, but quickly drop to a minimum write speed. If the Wise card's minimum speed is too slow, no matter what it started out as, you'll quickly find that the camera complains the card is too slow.

Unfortunately, it can be hard to determine the minimum write speed for some cards.

Upvote 0
I've never heard anyone anywhere says that Sony's color rendition is better than Canon's until I watched his livestream.

A lot of the SONY *supposed* colour issues stem from Lightroom users. The early A7's did have a pretty ugly video look though, it took a little more experience to draw out a nice grade.

The A7Slll has inherited a few tricks (new color science) from SONY's high end cinema cameras-- apparently its a huge improvement.

On a side note, try Capture One with Sony and Fuji RAW files.

If you compare *all around output* of the A7Rlll to the A7RlV it gets interesting, I came away thinking the A7Rlll may be a little better at base ISO and below. So much so to say, I passed on the A7RlV, even though it had better ergonomics, unrestricted video recording time and a fully digital audio pipeline through the MI shoe.

I'd bet, no one will be able to distinguish between the R5 and A7R's going forward, they're all *that good.*

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

In fairness to Sony, they've made massive improvements in the past two generations. But yes, it's clear that Gerald likes to have full control of his colour grading. For a lot of people, Canon's punchy, contrasty image with rich reds is good enough that they don't even want to grade it. But to each their own.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It is an endless question. I guess for me all of the video features, while nice, just add to the cost and complexity of the camera. It is not the hard cost that keeps the price high but I would think the R&D costs are pretty expensive. Even saying this I would but the R5 in a heartbeat if I had the funds;)

Take a look at Sony's A9ll. Practically no *modern* video functionally, but comes in $1K higher than the A7Slll. That A9 video though, its surprisingly good, organic looking. It's kinda like the old Canon 5Dll.

Upvote 0
Do these numbers represent shooting limits while the camera is rolling only, or does it also include idle time ? If its rolling only, perfectly fine for me...

Reportedly the heat builds anytime the camera is on, even in idle (i.e. framing shots, etc.) it has been pointed out however that you can frame your shot, turn the camera off, and then you lose your focus after you turn it back on. Hopefully that can be fixed.

What's not being reported is everything else you get with the camera system. Amazing lenses, color, photos, etc. Like many people have pointed out its up to our experience to see if it works for us. Many of us dont have the funds to just buy a camera for thousands of dollars without some idea of how it will perform. Thats why people like Gerald are great, but he would be the first to say that it's your experience that matters.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with these cameras, if anything I think marketing dropped the ball a bit. From the pre-production announcements it was the video that was being marketed, which I think may have been a mistake. These are amazing photo cameras, with the ability to do amazing video as a hybrid, and also video pushed to the limit by professionals who have the experience and desire to do it.

I can't imagine anyone that would be disappointed with either of these cameras, they are going to be amazing tools.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I heard it from another user on the FM forums. He was using a battery from his 90D.
It's early days. I expect to hear these things pop up and am kind of glad for them. The quicker and more detailed and fully-disclosed information we get , the better I would say. The beta tests have begun!
It turns out the FM user only got a heat warning icon, and his camera turned off due to the battery dying. He said he put in a new battery and was shooting stills again (warning went away, too).

Upvote 0
It was my friends camera, we used the new lp batts. I had just got done shooting a burst and looked at the photos that were captured and the red thermometer was flashing and I proceeded to shoot more then the camera stopped. It took somewhere between 10-15 min to start working again. After this tho I quit using it

How many people actually believe this guy?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
PR disaster? Anonymous comments, lacking lots of relevant information. Could be the battery grip loose or other, for as vague as the comment was.

It's not anonymous, it's a forum member with a history here. It could be a defective unit or a bad battery connection, yes. But given the fact that stills can cut HQ video capture time to zero, we know that stills alone can heat the camera up to the point of having to go into thermal protection, and can do so in the 80-90F range.

It's not unreasonable to expect that higher temperatures or heavier use could push it over the edge just shooting stills. There's not enough data to conclude one way or the other yet. But while you hand wave his report you better prepare yourself for the possibility that reports of stills overheating are going to come in as more people get R5s and take them to Nevada, Arizona, Utah...heck, even a southern California beach.

I prefer the real people examples where they can be seen speaking, or at least profiles tracing to real names with websites and contact info.

Does that include the people who say it's useless for video due to overheating? Because when it's those real names with websites the posts are "I prefer people in the forums, not talking heads" and "they probably work for Sony."

The level of COPE over this is amazing. Canon stumbled on what should have been an amazing, market dominating release. I think Andrew Reid at eoshd.com is rather angry and biased, yet I'm starting to agree with his conclusion. If Canon can fix this with a recall (i.e. if there's room for some type of heat sink/pipe), then freeze the line and fix it. That means a recall for R5/R6 bodies shipped but there aren't many of those so now is the time.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

In isolation I would assume a defective unit or trolling. The problem is his report is not in isolation. Again, we know for a fact that stills shooting can put the camera into a thermal protection mode (HQ video features disabled), and that this can happen in 80-90F. Is it really hard to believe that you could get the camera to shut off with heavy shooting? Or get it to shut off in the 90-100F or 100-110F ranges?

I hope I'm wrong, I hope his unit was defective, I hope there are no thermal issues shooting stills even at 110F. But only a fool would hand wave the possibility given what we know about the camera.

Upvote 0
It's not anonymous, it's a forum member with a history here.

That means nothing. Like it's difficult to sign up for any forum.

But given the fact that stills can cut HQ video capture time to zero, we know that stills alone can heat the camera up to the point of having to go into thermal protection, and can do so in the 80-90F range.

Incorrect. The camera is not bricking, literally nobody has gotten it hot enough (even filming) that it can't be switched into 4K30, or into stills.

The body is preventing HQ, 120, and 8k modes, but it is not "shutting down".

I think Andrew Reid at eoshd.com is rather angry and biased, yet I'm starting to agree with his conclusion.

Andrew Reid ... LOL.

Upvote 0
In isolation I would assume a defective unit or trolling. The problem is his report is not in isolation.

It literally is.

Again, we know for a fact that stills shooting can put the camera into a thermal protection mode (HQ video features disabled), and that this can happen in 80-90F. Is it really hard to believe that you could get the camera to shut off with heavy shooting? Or get it to shut off in the 90-100F or 100-110F ranges?

Yes. Since literally nobody has gotten it to brick yet. Nobody. Which is what it would take for stills to be shut down.

I hope I'm wrong...

I'm sure you do, and you're in luck.

Upvote 0
I did not comment on my time spent with the camera as a a way of trolling or spreading disinformation, I am a canon shooter and i think it is insane how crazy people get with their group think. I told my experience as a something to be helpful to all those looking at purchasing this camera. If you all want to buy this thing then buy it, I thought i was going this community a solid by telling you all what went on. Most of you on this forum spend more time dreaming and bitching than shooting or living

How about providing some evidence? That'd go a long way to being received better. There is a ton of examination on the R5 going on around the web, and your information would be the first example of a new problem, and the reception to it would be much different here.

Without any sort of evidence, your experience runs completely against everything that is available out there (and there is a lot out there), so I can't imagine why you'd be surprised at it being received with a whole lot of doubt.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020

That means nothing. Like it's difficult to sign up for any forum.

So the guy you are questioning signed up for this forum about 2 and a half years ago, he would have interacted positively several times on the forum during that time. Just to place himself here at this exact moment to lie to us about this particular issue? Lolol

Also, the member in question is no amateur, I have seen his work.

I think time will tell with this R5 and R6 debate. I think I am done with this, enjoy your units. I just hope if real widespread problems are unearthed you are just as vocal and rabid.

Enjoy your units.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I did not comment on my time spent with the camera as a a way of trolling or spreading disinformation, I am a canon shooter and i think it is insane how crazy people get with their group think. I told my experience as a something to be helpful to all those looking at purchasing this camera. If you all want to buy this thing then buy it, I thought i was going this community a solid by telling you all what went on. Most of you on this forum spend more time dreaming and bitching than shooting or living

Please don't take my "trolling" comment offensively. I was merely speaking to hypotheticals. If there was only one random report of overheating then I would assume a defective R5 or possibly a trolling attempt. You have a history at this forum so naturally the assumption would be a defective unit and not trolling. But clearly your report is not in isolation.

I apologize for not making that more clear, and I (for one) value your report.

Upvote 0