Here’s confirmation of the RF 100-400, RF 24 Macro and RF 18-45. Sadly, they’re quite delayed

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
When we posted our original RF lens roadmap, a lot of the lenses listed were expected to launch in 2021, and as we have seen, not many have come to fruition.
The most recent lenses to be announced have been the RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro and the RF 14-35mm f/4L IS USM. The macro has begun shipping in small quantities and Canon themselves have already added that lens to its list of lenses with production delays.
As you can see from the image below, a few lenses on our roadmap were originally scheduled to have already been in production...

Continue reading...

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Now give me an RP successor with IBIS and new sensor tech and I'm in in R system ;)
I would respectfully suggest that the only reason to wait for an RP mk2 is that the original RP is 2+ years old and while stil great value for money, a replacement or similarly-priced R body may come as soon as late 2021 or early 2022. I do not miss IBIS as all the RF lenses I own are equipped with the latest IS. The non-L 24-240mm and 35mm 1.8 are great glass for their purpose, and the rather more costly 24-105L and 100-500L are superlative. A mirrorless body does not have the shake induced by the mirror, so even without IBIS you are ahead of a DSLR. The relatively light weight of the RP is achieved because (among other things) it has a lighter battery (LP 17) which may not be able to cope with the power drain of IBIS.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
By the responses I have gotten from readers, a lot of people would love to have one.
Who needs a 24 mm macro?
I think you have to take the "macro" label with a pinch of salt. I have the 35mm 1.8 and for me the capability to focus significantly closer (MFD = 7" 17mm versus 9.5" 24mm) than the EF 35 f:2 I owned before means that I don't have to think about minimum focus point when doing e.g. close-up portrait shots.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
What does the "C" mean in RF 100-400 IS C USM ? My first thought was "crop" (it made my heart beat faster for a second), but then I saw the same moniker in RF 24-240 IS CUSM (and EF-S 18-135 IS CUSM) ?
(For the 100-400 it looks like there's a tiny space beteen C and USM, on the other two lenses it looks like CUSM without a space. But I assume it is the same, and just bad typography in presentation)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
With the 14-35 and 15-35 already in existence, I'm really questioning whether that 18-45 is going to be a full-frame lens... I guess it could be a price-point wide angle, designed to pair with the 24-105 STM for an inexpensive lightweight kit? But still...
Likely a follow on to the 17-40 and probably will be the "cheapie" WA zoom. The other two are definitely not cheap. Keeping the cost (and size) down would explain the short end being 18 rather than 17 or 16.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Who needs a 24 mm macro?
It is actually a very interesting option. You can show small subject(s) enlarged in the frame, while still having a wide view of its surroundings. There are no other ways to do such thing but using a wide macro lens. I would definitely like to have one. Although, I would prefer L grade lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0