Here are a few Canon EOS R10 specifications [CR3]

So it will be roughly equivalent to a 5 year old camera but will be bigger in size? Time to sell all of my current gear!

Canon has to make an R camera that's actually better than the latest M cameras for the M users to even consider buying it. If it's not better than what's the point? Yes, we could put some really expensive, large lenses on it but that's about it. Please make it better.
If they could spec it out like the M6II with similar size and cost, it’d be tempting if my wife’s M6II should die in a few years. The thought of putting my RF 100-400 f/5.6-8 on that sensor is a positive one.

For now the R7 sounds like a weather sealed M6II for possibly twice the money and the R10 is an M50II sensor and M6II performance (fps, etc) for maybe the same price as an M6II (total guess)?

Interested to see if everything gets the Digic X processor going forward.

Upvote 0
I am happy for the APS-C supporters to get the camera that you guys were asking for.
What is now interesting to me is
- Will the M200 be replaced by R mount equivalent body?
- Will the RP be replaced?
- What RFs lenses will be available to replace the M ecosystem (assuming that it will be replaced) and what size/weight they will be. I assume a quality wide angle for the R7 users as well

EF-m lenses (all 60.9mm diameter)
11–22mm f/4 – 5.6 IS 220 g
15–45mm f/3.5 – 6.3 IS 130 g
18–55mm f/3.5 – 5.6 IS 210 g
18–150mm f/3.5 – 6.3 IS 300 g
55–200mm f/4.5 – 6.3 IS 260 g
22mm f/2 105 g
28mm f/3.5 IS Macro 130 g
32mm f/1.4 IS 235g

Upvote 0
Judging by its name, I expect this R10 to be a replacement for the 80D/90D — a bit more like the 80D, since the 90D took some features from the 7D Mark II that should now be exclusive to the R7, like the joystick. And I don’t think its body will be shaped in any way like a M6 nor M5.

Also, I would expect the R7 to have the same body as the R6, or maybe even that of the R5.

Maybe a future R100 (hypothetically) could be shaped like a M6 or M5, a cute little camera for the masses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Judging by its name, I expect this R10 to be a replacement for the 80D/90D — a bit more like the 80D, since the 90D took some features from the 7D Mark II that should now be exclusive to the R7, like the joystick. And I don’t think its body will be shaped in any way like a M6 nor M5.

Also, I would expect the R7 to have the same body as the R6, or maybe even that of the R5.

Maybe a future R100 (hypothetically) could be shaped like a M6 or M5, a cute little camera for the masses.
You mean the R-ebel camera. But it is only a matter of time until they do it, so Canon will have a full line of R series, starting from the R-ebel, to the RXX and ending up in the R1.

Upvote 0
I know the design is a highly subjective matter, but for me, EOS M5 was one of the ugliest cameras Canon has ever released. The viewfinded bump was just terrible. I really love the m6II design lines, but I also know that many ppl could not live without a viewfinder. Sony A7c design like plese - a viewfinder without a bump.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Why does it go back to 24MP? If it's a M5/M6 or 90D replacement it should use at the very least the old 32MP sensor.

I am fully expecting the R7 to use a modern 32MP sensor, if it is a true 7D-like camera that will cost 1500+.
Maybe it uses the R3 24Mp sensor. A new 24Mp sensor would be better than an old 32Mp one.

Upvote 0
You mean the R-ebel camera. But it is only a matter of time until they do it, so Canon will have a full line of R series, starting from the R-ebel, to the RXX and ending up in the R1.
I guess so. I'm in Europe, so...no Canon Rebels here.

I know the design is a highly subjective matter, but for me, EOS M5 was one of the ugliest cameras Canon has ever released.
You mean, one of the prettiest cameras they ever made:ROFLMAO: I wish I bought it back in the day, I loved that camera. But now is too late.
The viewfinder bump is really useful. It helps to avoid hitting the screen with your nose, and moving the focusing points accidentally.

Why does it go back to 24MP? If it's a M5/M6 or 90D replacement it should use at the very least the old 32MP sensor.

I am fully expecting the R7 to use a modern 32MP sensor, if it is a true 7D-like camera that will cost 1500+.
My guess is the sensor on the R7 is the same from the 90D/M6 Mark II, which is ok and has barely been used since it was released, so it makes sense reusing it.
But that sensor really hits hard on the glass. There is no kit lens, or budget lens, that can reproduce a high quality image with so many pixels in such a small area. Pixel density on that sensor is the same to that of a ~80MP full-frame sensor. That really needs GOOD glass.
I expect the R7 to be an expensive APS-C body, aimed at users that can afford the best RF lenses, so they can get the best out of that sensor.

And I hope this 24MP sensor is the same from the 80D, which is excellent, but doesn't hit as hard on the glass, and does ok with consumer level lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Canon EF-M users who keep on telling people that replacing EF-M mount is a total unrealistic move by Canon:

This-Is-Fine.jpg
It's not unrealistic, but they will need to release an entire line of RF-M lenses to replace the current EF-M lineup. Sure they'll have an RF mount, but they need to be the size of the M lenses. Right now they have zero lenses that fit that description. It's entirely possible they will release an M6ii replacement with RF mount along with full lineup of small lenses this month, in which case none of the M users would be bothered, we'd happily buy that system.
The frustrating thing is all the people saying just use RF lenses, or the M6ii needs a built in EVF who are entirely missing the purpose of that system. The M6ii is designed perfectly for its purpose, the main issue with it is going to be if EF lenses disapear there will be very little choice of larger lens.

And if anyone suggests a fully articulating screen they need to be shot. Creepy side glances are bad on video!

Upvote 0
Surely removing the EVF achieves the same thing, my M6ii is never anywhere near my nose!
The fact that the M6's are cameras sold most of the time without the EVF accessory offends me, I would never buy a camera without an EVF. I already have a smartphone that I can use at arms length.
Plus, the concept of the removable EVF blocks the user from attaching a flash to the camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I know the design is a highly subjective matter, but for me, EOS M5 was one of the ugliest cameras Canon has ever released. The viewfinded bump was just terrible. I really love the m6II design lines, but I also know that many ppl could not live without a viewfinder. Sony A7c design like plese - a viewfinder without a bump.

I agree and same for the M50 or Nikon Z50. The design is not bad but the big viewfinder bump on the top kills the compactness. That's why i prefer the M6 or even RP.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The fact that the M6's are cameras sold most of the time without the EVF accessory offends me, I would never buy a camera without an EVF. I already have a smartphone that I can use at arms length.
Plus, the concept of the removable EVF blocks the user from attaching a flash to the camera.
Does your smartphone cover a focal length range from 11-200mm, and have an APS-C size sensor? If so, good for you. Mine certainly doesn’t.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
And that's great, personally I chose it because it doesn't have one. I got one in the box but I never use it as I don't need it for video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0