Here are a few Canon EOS R10 specifications [CR3]

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Not with the 600/4 (except on a tripod). But for macro, yes...frequently. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever used the VF with my MP-E 65, and only rarely with my EF 100L. For example this shot with the MP-E 65, which was taken with the 5DII in Live View at 5x magnification with the front of the lens shoved into a bush:

View attachment 203489

Before the R and R3, I would use the Angle Finder C with my 1D X for ground-level macros, I suppose that counts as using the VF (although it's a magnified view). But with an articulating screen, even that is no longer needed and almost all of my macro shooting is on the rear LCD.

As a relevant side note, at 5x magnification and f/16, the effective aperture of the MP-E 65 is f/96. Under most ambient lighting, that means the optical viewfinder is essentially black and therefore useless for composition.
I certainly understand that the use of an OVF is almost impossible when using the 65mm, high magnification and closed diaphragm.
I was rather thinking of handheld macros, 100mm and ringflash. I've tried several times to use the rear LCD, but in bright sun, no chance.
Additionally, I'd need glasses, which I hate wearing when in nature...
When using my 5 D4, I too use the angle finder, or, more often, just lay on the grass or in thorns.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
For years the M+mp-e+mt24 was my macro rig:
View attachment 203490
The back LCD made it a lot easier to use compared to the dim OVF in my 7D.

A lighter variant with the 270Ex:
View attachment 203491
A very specific "über" macro setting.
The OVF is here of course useless. Did you use the MP E hand-held (I'm quilte tempted to buy one...)

Ophrys insectifera below: 5 D4, EF 100L + ringflash.

8S3A2673-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Of course we're not talking about using the EVF when the camera is on a tripod. It shouldn't be necessary saying that.
I also shoot in studio environment, on tripod, and obviously I use use live view there, but we're discussing handheld shooting here.

If I could own only one, at this point it would be the R3. But I wouldn't always bring it with me. My iPhone is always with me, but that's a huge step down in photographic capability. The M6 fits nicely in between – only a small step down in IQ, and a lot more portable.
Yeah, but the R3 is definitely a bigger compromise, it's understandable that it would be harder owning just one big body. That's why I wrote "no need to go high end".
If I could only own a camera (which I do), I'd pick a small to medium sized body with an integrated EVF, something between a M50 and a R5 (and I did). But the integrated EVF would be mandatory, to me.

A single 40mm lens would not suit me for travel photography. My usually kit is either the R3, 11-24/4L, 24-105/4L and TS-E 17 or the R3, 14-35/4L, 24-105/4L and 100-500. For a light load, it's the M6, M11-22 and M18-150.
Yeah, my usually kit is 24-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8 + one prime lens. But when I want to go light, I really go simple, and pick just one standard prime lens.

Yes. I own the 90D and the M6ii and I'd certainly get rid of the 90D first.
Interesting. But do you walk around without its EVF, shooting in live view?

2. A "so much lighter" (which is not!) rig can't be held more stable because it's lighter. It's rather the opposite. Having no 3rd contact point even increases the instability!
True. The same principle applies to other apparatus, like weaponry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A very specific "über" macro setting.
The OVF is here of course useless. Did you use the MP E hand-held (I'm quilte tempted to buy one...)
Virtually all my MP-E photos are handheld, it takes a lot of motivation and specific tripod hardware to make it work beyond 1:1. I rarely used the MP-E the first few years I owned it due to that. Mounting it on the M, initially as a joke, made it actually practical to use. When I moved to the RP, which had a decent EVF *and* a tilty-flippy screen it became even more fun to use. And a FF sensor meant that I didn't have to tilt the camera for full-body wasp shots any longer, those would only fit diagonally on APS-C :)

It's not for everyone and when I venture beyond my garden I really miss the ability for less than 1:1 magnification. I was planning to get the Laowa 100mm (EF version with actual electronic aperture control, not the stupid RF version without aperture control) when the RF100 macro came along with AF, IBIS and 1.4:1. That extra 40% magnification helps a lot.

So, if you want more than 1:1, try the EF Laowa 100mm first, that will allow medium and large sized butterflies to fit in the frame :) If you want more than 2:1 the MP-E is a great option.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But do you walk around without its EVF, shooting in live view?
I never bought the external EVF for my M6, because I never felt the need. If necessary, although it rarely is, I wrap part of my left hand over the LCD as a shade.

I know from testing the IS of several EF-M lenses that I do a bit better than Canon’s stabilization rating. I don’t have surgeon’s hands and I drink a lot of espresso…but I have good technique and with that the light rig is easy to hold steady and doesn’t result in any fatigue that would increase shake.

As I said, it’s not the lack of an EVF that makes the M series light, it’s Canon’s design philosophy for the series, with bodies and lenses smaller than is possible with their FF-sized EF and RF mounts.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was rather thinking of handheld macros, 100mm and ringflash. I've tried several times to use the rear LCD, but in bright sun, no chance.
Additionally, I'd need glasses, which I hate wearing when in nature...
When using my 5 D4, I too use the angle finder, or, more often, just lay on the grass or in thorns.
I’ve done the laying on the ground thing with the EF 100/2.8L Macro. For example:

Mantis Prey.jpg

I far prefer just squatting down with the articulating LCD flipped out and up.

The shots in this mushroom thread post were all like that, and it was a lot easier with the articulating screen of the EOS R than with the fixed screen of the iPhone.

Once in a while, I'll use my full FrankenMacro rig handheld...

IMG_0045.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I don't shoot at arms' length with my M6. I tuck in my elbows just like with my R3 and 1D X. Yes, the 3rd contact point of the eyecup is lost, but the rig is much lighter and that 3rd contact point isn't needed to hold the camera steady.
That's precisely how I shoot with my phone. Holding your arms out seems very strange, not only is it less stable but you're further from the screen so it's harder to see.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That's precisely how I shoot with my phone. Holding your arms out seems very strange, not only is it less stable but you're further from the screen so it's harder to see.
Agreed. I suspect many who believe an EVF is required on a small, light camera simply lack proper technique.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Just my guess, but I don't see this as being the successor to the EOS M lineup. I see one of two things happening:

First option: Canon sticks with their EF hierarchy. The R10 is the successor to the 90D (with slightly reduced specs for this first model, to avoid angering those who purchased the 90D). The Rebel/850D is succeeded by the R100 series. The EOS M line is succeeded by the R1000 series.

Second option: Canon merges the 90D and Rebel/850D lines into what is the R10 series. The EOS M line is succeeded by the R100 series.

I think the price of the R10 will tell us a lot. It will be fun to see how this all pans out. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
  • Haha
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Were the pictures any good? There's no inherent benefit to a viewfinder, it's just there because that's how many people learned to take pictures. The stability of holding it close can still be achieved with a screen, although I imagine a good number of these cameras will never take any photos anyway, video will be the primary use-case where an EVF is not only a waste of space but takes up valuable real estate which could have been used for a mic or speaker. I also have no use for a flash on mine and would love to see a model where that is replaced with a bright LED array.
My G5X II has a popup viewfinder. Most of the time I don’t use it. But if the light is too bright out for me to see the composition on the screen, I will pop it right up. It is useless for manual focusing (which is usually not needed with such a short lens anyway). Perhaps that is different on a FF mirrorless. But the EVF is essential in many situations. Of course I would rather have an OVF, but for travel I don’t want to drag a DLSR and assorted gear along.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Canon EF-M users who keep on telling people that replacing EF-M mount is a total unrealistic move by Canon:

This-Is-Fine.jpg
It is with regards to making the R camera replacements the same small size of the M series cameras. But that doesn't seem to be a concern with Canon even though there's still a sizable market for smaller mirrorless cameras like the M50 and M200.

Upvote 0