Here are a few Canon EOS R10 specifications [CR3]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry that I'm going to repeat your first sentence...and add bold...

Your assertion regarding using a viewfinder eyecup that there is, "...there's nothing inherently better about stabilising that way when compared to just holding the camera close," is patently false – three points of contact are more stable than two points of contact. That's just physics.

Of course, facts and physics mean nothing to some people so they will continue to annoy us all with their unstoppable need to be right and show others just how right they are.

Please continue this absolutely useless and totally unnecessary debate.
The problem is that some people will never give up and just double down. Maybe it's just best to ignore them, which I do after a while. But, it's annoying to see BS unanswered.

Upvote 0
Not at all, anyone can use what they like. The mentally rigid folk will insist their way is the only way though.
I mean, literally nobody was doing that. Nobody has said you shouldn't do it however you want. You made a silly exaggerated claim, and people with greater knowledge and experience rebutted it. You can go ahead and use your gear however you like, and keep feeling superior for being contrary.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not at all, anyone can use what they like. The mentally rigid folk will insist their way is the only way though.
Of course they can. People do stupid things every day.

What would you call it when people make assertions about things with which they have no experience and insist they are right?

But maybe I'm wrong, and you have direct experience. How about this...I'll show you a shot tracking something moving swiftly that I took with a ≥500mm supertele lens on a camera where I used the viewfinder held to my eye to track the subject, and you show me a shot tracking something moving swiftly with that you took with a ≥500mm supertele lens on a camera where you used the rear LCD to track the subject.

Here's mine, a snowy owl in flight taken with the R3 and 600/4L IS II:
Beach Flight.jpg

I tracked the snowy from takeoff to landing, firing several 30 fps bursts over the few seconds of flight.
Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.53.11 AM.png

Now it's your turn.....

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Of course they can. People do stupid things every day.

What would you call it when people make assertions about things with which they have no experience and insist they are right?

But maybe I'm wrong, and you have direct experience. How about this...I'll show you a shot tracking something moving swiftly that I took with a ≥500mm supertele lens on a camera where I used the viewfinder held to my eye to track the subject, and you show me a shot tracking something moving swiftly with that you took with a ≥500mm supertele lens on a camera where you used the rear LCD to track the subject.

Here's mine, a snowy owl in flight taken with the R3 and 600/4L IS II:
View attachment 203620

I tracked the snowy from takeoff to landing, firing several 30 fps bursts over the few seconds of flight.
View attachment 203621

Now it's your turn.....
Beautiful bird, beautiful pictures!

Upvote 0
You're clearly unable to accept that there are other ways so why would I bother? Yes, I do have experience. No, it's not worth persuing the conversation with you as you're clearly decided on the subject. We're both happy with our worlds, or at least I am.
Source: trust me, bro.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
three points of contact are more stable than two points of contact. That's just physics.
keepsakebox1_1024x1024.jpg

One point of contact, and I win the internet! :D

Sorry, I'm really just joking, I do happen to agree with you given the context of what you're discussing, but I couldn't resist taking this out of context. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 203631

One point of contact, and I win the internet! :D

Sorry, I'm really just joking, I do happen to agree with you given the context of what you're discussing, but I couldn't resist taking this out of context. :)
That is not a point of contact, it is a plane.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, when I took geometry a point had fewer than two dimensions. But I figured that was a long time ago so maybe things had changed. After all, we’re supposed to be open to new ways of doing things, right? Even if those new ways don’t work, apparently.

I’m only partly joking. Example:

My 2nd grader: “Dad, can you help me with this math problem?”

Problem: “Using a tape diagram…”

Me: “Hey Siri, what’s a tape diagram in elementary school math?”

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Well, since I'm in for a penny, lets go for the pound, and I'll try win on internet points, misdirection, and the best kind of correct: *Technically*, your hands holding a camera aren't points either - they're surfaces too :D

So it really comes down to vectors, motion, centre of mass, and all that, and none of that invalidates neuro's core assertion, that, in the context of holding a camera, 3 points is better than 2. I just couldn't resist the troll :D

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
My 2nd grader: “Dad, can you help me with this math problem?”

Problem: “Using a tape diagram…”

Me: “Hey Siri, what’s a tape diagram in elementary school math?”
So I had to go google what a tape diagram is.
And I am left thinking "Does this actually help?" I can see how the trivial first grade examples are great at visualising (though we just used beads and small stones for that, which, I feel, was even better :D)

The later examples though, look just like a simple math equation, written down, with no context between the operations, and I'm not sure how they help with understanding. Almost curious enough to go an see if there's any actual research around their use in teaching. Almost.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Subjectively more stable to people who have been trained to work in that way. Objectively, there are a great many people who can work in other ways to achieve the same results. Random Orbits even confirmed that after implying people taking pics at arms length were doing it wrong the pictures were fine.
For large supertele use yes, maybe you will do better with a viewfinder, but then I'd still assert there's nothing inherently better about stabilising that way when compared to just holding the camera close. It's all just practice at whatever method suits your camera use, your preferences, and your abilities.
No. Objectively, holding the viewfinder to your eye is more stable. There are no ifs or buts about it. No one will be more stable holding a camera away from their face in a situation with a large telephoto lens and trying to track a fast moving animal. Holding the viewfinder against the face gives an inherently stable third point of contact. My guess is you don't shoot wildlife or any serious action photography so you may not understand the realities of the genre. But you should probably pay attention to those who know what they are talking about

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0