Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras [C

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

cpreston said:
April Fool rumor. This was submitted by some video troll. Listing multiple versions of c-log automatically guaranteed it is fake. No stills camera will ever have more than one version of log for video recording.

Figured there'd be a clear tell with video, thanks for speaking up. On stills it's less an obvious fake so much as fake-flavored.

I still won't give a single spec sheet the benefit of the doubt without the mount being the first thing listed. I appreciate many slightly-differently-spec'd bodies might be out there, so things like the sensor MP count, if they flip the 4K dipswitch ;D, deep menu items like spot metering linked to an off-center AF point, etc. might honestly be very near production time decisions, but the mount drives so much else that I'd be stunned if that was still a TBD or unclear to leakers at this stage.

- A

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

This thread is great, oscillating between the specs being too good to be true and Canon is doomed because these specs would have only been good in the 1980's.

Personally, I'd like to hear about battery life, EVF (features, pixel density, refresh rate, etc), more on size/weight, etc. The 10 fps and 1/16,000 shutter are nice, potentially very nice, but I'd like to see where this camera is better than a 5DIV and where it is potentially deficient.

Until then, I'll be happy shooting with my 5DIV.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

docsmith said:
This thread is great, oscillating between the specs being too good to be true and Canon is doomed because these specs would have only been good in the 1980's.

+1. I noted this as well. I'll give you a diving rod for sorting that out:

[It has a chunky grip, 5D4 controls and 10 fps] = utter joy for existing Canon users or those that want a seamless transition from FF SLR on one shoulder to FF mirrorless on the other, esp. those that read these tea leaves as meaning that a chunky grip = an EF mount is coming along with it. Current mood: Canon will reign forever.

[does not list the features IBIS, Eye AF, a gajillion AF points, backside illuminated, etc.] = crushing disappointment for those that wish that Canon could just be like Sony. ::) Current mood: YAPODFC, possibly kicking the dirt like a six year old who didn't get the birthday present he expected.

My current mood = Skeptical in specifics but optimistic for the future. Half this forum will freak the eff out when the mount decision isn't what they wanted (when it becomes clear what it definitely will be, like a late Nokish.ita marketing photo leak), but I am not with either group. I'm much more curious what very likely will be my next body* will look/feel like.

*I'm not saying I'll replace my 5D3 for what surely will be an overpriced first offering so much as the decisions this first FF mirrorless rig makes will highly inform future models. In FF, I don't anticipate an EOS M like evolution from [underpec'd/tiny/slow/ergonomically ridiculous] to [solid/ergonomic/functional] over time -- we'll get a solid working camera on day one that future rigs will probably highly resemble in future iterations.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

docsmith said:
...where it is potentially deficient.

Well, if you believe some on this forum, the deficiency is obvious.

Canon_P8280507-1.jpg

:p

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors said:
Dual SD card slots
Video Features: C-Log 1/2/3, Focus Guide
Formats available: 60p/30p/24p 4K (both DCI & UHD can be chosen).</li>
As for video specs, dual UHS-II SD card slots are more compact than CF cards and it is possible to record 4K 60P (with V30 or V60 SD cards); Having said that, we haven't seen UHS-II SD card slot in any Canon still camera offering, yet. C-Log2 was developed for the 10bit internal XF-AVC 4:2:2 codec which is present in the C300 MK II. It is not even included in C200. I don't see it be put in a still camera or even a hybrid camera. But perhaps Canon wants to surprise us. There is high probability that this rumor is fake.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

siegsAR said:
There's no way it will use the EF mount. If it did, it will be the first info we'd see.

The lack of mount info makes this a *little credible, not the other way around.

1) The conviction you have it is a thinner-than-EF mount is matched by the conviction of others that it isn't.

2) Thin mount is just as newsworthy as it means folks will need to live with adaptors / replace some lenses.

In either case, the mount is the center-of-the-universe for debate around this camera. The rest can change with future models. Though we might see both an EF and thin mount mirrorless over time, I'm guessing this is the biggest technical call Canon has had to make since EF's initiation in the late 80s.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
I love Canon gear and I'm not going anywhere, but sexy spec-per-dollar offerings engineered to get young men to pull out their credit cards are simply not what they do.

Probably because, despite all the hype and chatter, 'sexy spec sheets' *don't* get people pulling out their credit cards in large enough numbers.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

ahsanford said:
siegsAR said:
There's no way it will use the EF mount. If it did, it will be the first info we'd see.

The lack of mount info makes this a *little credible, not the other way around.

1) The conviction you have it is a thinner-than-EF mount is matched by the conviction of others that it isn't.

2) Thin mount is just as newsworthy as it means folks will need to live with adaptors / replace some lenses.

In either case, the mount is the center-of-the-universe for debate around this camera. The rest can change with future models. Though we might see both an EF and thin mount mirrorless over time, I'm guessing this is the biggest technical call Canon has had to make since EF's initiation in the late 80s.

- A

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

My money is still on a native EF compatible mount (not EF but EF will work adaptorless) .

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

siegsAR said:

There's no way it will use a new mount. If it did, it will be the first info we'd see. :)

These are partial claimed specs.... it is a rumour of a rumour.... and even if it were true, it is about a prototype, and very few prototypes make it into production. I put no weight on this.

Upvote 0

60p @4k ? Wow. Are they trying to take on the GH5 as well ? 120p@HD. I would have liked 180p but I guess I can suffer 120p.

But what does this mean for Canon's precious Cinema EOS ? I am not buying this. Like one poster said, this is "fake news" from the Failing Canon.

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
siegsAR said:

There's no way it will use a new mount. If it did, it will be the first info we'd see. :)
We'll see. ;)
For what its worth I'm all for a native EF mount despite my skepticism.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

The Fat Fish said:
Add IBIS, make sure the 4K is usable and make it $2000 and it'll be a good camera. There's a new benchmark of what a $2000 camera can be and Canon need to address it.

Interesting idea. There were a few $3000 FF cameras that Canon 'needed to address', and did they? Yes, they did...by selling more FF cameras than Sony.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

siegsAR said:
Don Haines said:
siegsAR said:

We'll see. ;)
I'm with you.

I think that these recent rumours, or partial rumours, that are so close to April fools day are more entertainment than substance, but I am looking forward to see what really shakes out of the tree..... interesting times!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

The Fat Fish said:
Add IBIS, make sure the 4K is usable and make it $2000 and it'll be a good camera. There's a new benchmark of what a $2000 camera can be and Canon need to address it.

Well, that is the way that Sony is betting. Time will tell what the sales look like. Canon might put out a copycat camera, but maybe not. There is a lot of internet buzz about Sony selling a magic toy for $2000 instead of $3000, but $2000 for the camera is only starters, and then there are the lenses etc, not to mention the time and effort that needs to be put into coming up with good photographs and videos. There is a lot of time and money on the line for most buyers, and I don't know how much difference internet buzz is going to make. It's a lot cheaper and easier to post on the internet than it is to bang down some serious money for a camera and learn how to take good photographs or videos. I find myself wondering what the price of used A7III's will be a couple of years from now.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011

Don Haines said:
siegsAR said:
Don Haines said:
siegsAR said:

We'll see. ;)
I'm with you.

I think that these recent rumours, or partial rumours, that are so close to April fools day are more entertainment than substance, but I am looking forward to see what really shakes out of the tree..... interesting times!

+1 it's a bit of fun

Really looking forward to what actually gets released this year though and what segment it's aimed at. Will Canon continue with a bottom up approach or will they flip.
In truth I'd actually prefer to see a new 7D level spec M5 with optional battery grip before they go FF.

Upvote 0