Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras [C

Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

bwud said:
Isaacheus said:
Talys said:
I do not really like how the Sony camera switches to the viewfinder and turns off the LCD when something obstructs the VF sensor. For example, if the camera is on a tripod, and I adjust or remove a flash transmitter, the LCD flickers on and off. It's made worse because the Sony Mi flash connector is a curse from hell, that's both delicate (there is a row of tiny, fragile pins at the end) and is very tight to remove.

It would be nice on EVF cameras if you could put on "high performance mode" and constantly power the viewfinder and/or LCD (with the option of just having basic information on the LCD, like exposure settings), and leave them on -- battery be damned. I like the LCD always on simply because there's no top display, and I want to be able to check what my exposure settings are.

On another topic, a minor preference I have with the Canon system is in Auto ISO display. With Canon, it shows the last metered auto ISO (in the VF, top display, etc.). On the Sony, it shows the current ISO if you have shutter at half-press, or it just says AUTO when you release the shutter button (or dedicated AE button) .

A kinda solution to this is to tilt the screen out slightly, in the latest ones this turns the evf off and it just keeps on the lcd.

It would be nice to have a true switch for them though yes

You could map the Monitor(manual) command, which disables the EVF, somewhere convenient.

Even better, wasn't aware of that option. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

bwud said:
Here is the relevant documentation

This is a horrible setting (at least, for me).

If you set it to Viewfinder, it's always ONLY on viewfinder, and there is never anything on the back screen, which means you can't check your exposure setting unless you look into the viewfinder (since there's no top LCD).

If you set it on Monitor, the viewfinder NEVER works. And who wants that?

What I really want is Viewfinder + Monitor so that you can force both to be powered at the same time, and never powered off unless it goes into sleep. It is ok for the monitor to have the basic exposure settings only. Frankly, I don't want most of the do-dads on the back display that Sony shows, like the electronic level and all that. Just mode (M/A/S/P,C1/etc.), aperture, shutter, ISO, drive mode, focus area, flash/hss, EV+/-, and shots left.

Also, some high performance, battery-eating, viewfinder mode where it never shuts off unless I turn the camera off, because in wildlife photography, the fraction of a second between black viewfinder and seeing something is precious time lost. I can always feed the camera another battery.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014

Talys said:
bwud said:
Here is the relevant documentation

This is a horrible setting (at least, for me).

If you set it to Viewfinder, it's always ONLY on viewfinder, and there is never anything on the back screen, which means you can't check your exposure setting unless you look into the viewfinder (since there's no top LCD).

If you set it on Monitor, the viewfinder NEVER works. And who wants that?

What I really want is Viewfinder + Monitor so that you can force both to be powered at the same time, and never powered off unless it goes into sleep. It is ok for the monitor to have the basic exposure settings only. Frankly, I don't want most of the do-dads on the back display that Sony shows, like the electronic level and all that. Just mode (M/A/S/P,C1/etc.), aperture, shutter, ISO, drive mode, focus area, flash/hss, EV+/-, and shots left.

Also, some high performance, battery-eating, viewfinder mode where it never shuts off unless I turn the camera off, because in wildlife photography, the fraction of a second between black viewfinder and seeing something is precious time lost. I can always feed the camera another battery.

Yah I don’t use it, but if it’s mapped somewhere I could see it being useful. When I used an A7Rii I mapped C4 to turn everything off. With the bigger battery it hasn’t been a problem. My only issue is that sometimes when I go from a bring area into shade it goes to the EVF, so I’m assuming it’s a brightness sensor not proximity.

Upvote 0