Here are some crazy Canon EOS R1 specifications [CR0]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Moving to Arkansas next weekend. Already considering a second mortgage. :oops:

But seriously, I never would have considered an R1, but if this is true (not likely), then I might. My shooting is going to start including birds and other wildlife. However, bet the R5 would handle all that.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

GreenViper

CR Pro
Jan 29, 2014
UK
A 21MP quad-pixel sensor would have 84MP pixels of course which could in theory have a special mode that could record each sub-pixel separately. And it would seem a waste of a quad pixel set up if you didn't have a dual or quad gain set up to improve DR. So whilst there are elements that could be true but it does have the smell of a wild optimist/attention-seeker! Mind you some of R5 rumours sounded pretty wild at the start
I guess there will be people who could use a camera that switched 21/85MP, I can't see 85MP being of particular interest to the majority of the professional market though

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Hmm, if there is any real chance of this maybe the 80+ mp is a Pixel shift mode.
At some point with these high frame rates, there needs to be AI added into DPP, that knows if the image is in focus, eyes open, etc.
Then some of this can be better utilized, since we are running in 10-zillion + bursts
I have been enjoying the idea of using 8K in the R5, shooting a clip, then pulling a frame
If we get to 8K/60P or better....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The EOS1 series tipically not high resolution cameras. I don't think 85Mpix is real. Global shutter is.
I agree. Also, if they really do have quad pixel AF, they don't need to go high resolution, as they can (and should) interpolate using the sub-pixels, so the camera can either be a ~24MP Bayer array (by combining the quad AF sensels similar to how they currently combine the dual pixel sensels), OR they can leave them uncombined and effectively have a CFA array that looks like:

RRGG
RRGG
GGBB
GGBB

The ~6000x4000 pixel bayer array would then effectively be ~12000x8000 pixels, R, G, and B quad sitting under one color filter color and micro-lens. It would effectively have ~96MP, or ~24MP depending on if you combined the quad pixels in camera or not. That would be pretty awesome.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
A 21MP quad-pixel sensor would have 84MP pixels of course which could in theory have a special mode that could record each sub-pixel separately. And it would seem a waste of a quad pixel set up if you didn't have a dual or quad gain set up to improve DR. So whilst there are elements that could be true but it does have the smell of a wild optimist/attention-seeker! Mind you some of R5 rumours sounded pretty wild at the start
I guess there will be people who could use a camera that switched 21/85MP, I can't see 85MP being of particular interest to the majority of the professional market though
But, if you could have the OPTIONs of using the higher when you wanted it, along with the lower when you needed it...why not have the best of both worlds?

I can't imagine not wanting options....

But then again...some people still bitch about having video, so....
;)

cayenne

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
85mp for the 12k raw video.
Nah, would need to be a 100mp 3:2 sensor to provide 12k (12288 pixels on the long side @ 16:9). It would mean 80mp frame grabs if that was the case though. Not too shabby though at 30fps :)
85mp would be ~11300x7500 (3:2) so about 11k. I would have assumed that a 12k sensor would be needed to line skip to 8/4k resolutions.
85mp would of course satisfy the high res body lovers and the 1D/R1 speed junkies but maybe not the price to satisfy both target markets.
I still believe that the R1 will be 45mp and record 8k raw

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Could be a case of the reality is hidden somewhere inside a bunch of specs that are true but need context to provide the full picture. As has been said. A quad pixel sensor of 21/84mp(depending on how those pixels are read) certainly sounds plausible for those of us with limited knowledge of how these things work. If Canon are the first to bring a global shutter to the market however then........whooaahhh!!!!! That will surprise the world.

Upvote 0