Here are some crazy Canon EOS R1 specifications [CR0]

Could be a case of the reality is hidden somewhere inside a bunch of specs that are true but need context to provide the full picture. As has been said. A quad pixel sensor of 21/84mp(depending on how those pixels are read) certainly sounds plausible for those of us with limited knowledge of how these things work. If Canon are the first to bring a global shutter to the market however then........whooaahhh!!!!! That will surprise the world.
Red Komodo has 6K global shutter already with good dynamic range so definitely seems doable - if they can do it Canon should be able also.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A 21MP quad-pixel sensor would have 84MP pixels of course which could in theory have a special mode that could record each sub-pixel separately. And it would seem a waste of a quad pixel set up if you didn't have a dual or quad gain set up to improve DR. So whilst there are elements that could be true but it does have the smell of a wild optimist/attention-seeker! Mind you some of R5 rumours sounded pretty wild at the start
I guess there will be people who could use a camera that switched 21/85MP, I can't see 85MP being of particular interest to the majority of the professional market though
That makes no sense, maybe it is going to be another terminology rabbit hole but a 21mp sensor is a 21mp sensor. Canon dual ‘pixel’ sensors have two photodiodes per pixel, the R5 has 47 million pixels and 94million photodiodes. It is not a 94mp camera.

If a sensor had quad pixel AF, which makes a lot of sense for orientation sensitivity, then it would have Y number of pixels and Y x 4 number of photodiodes.

Upvote 0
That makes no sense, maybe it is going to be another terminology rabbit hole but a 21mp sensor is a 21mp sensor. Canon dual ‘pixel’ sensors have two photodiodes per pixel, the R5 has 47 million pixels and 94million photodiodes. It is not a 94mp camera.

If a sensor had quad pixel AF, which makes a lot of sense for orientation sensitivity, then it would have Y number of pixels and Y x 4 number of photodiodes.
Exactly my thoughts. Divide the MP by 4 due to someone not understanding quad pixel and you get the sort of resolution we might expect...

Upvote 0

HenWin

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Considering what is offered, even if some of it isn't going to happen, so I'm not sure it's outta the ball park. I'm not a pro (and I don't play one on TV, either) so personally, I'd prefer something more oriented towards stills shooting. I don't need the video modes at all except at an elementary (my dear Watson) level. I'd also like to see one w/ built in GPS like my 5D4 has.

Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
20 fps @ 85 MP sounds unbelievable, but so did "20fps @ 45" (Canon R5) and "30fps @ 50 MP" (Sony A1) just a year ago. Canon might have been working on newer sensors with fast readout, and they might even have a new DIGIC X sensor, or maybe using dual processors.

I personally think the global shutter is far-fetched, but would be revolutionary for flash photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
Fact is 50MP at 15fps RAW is all any sports photographer would ever need even for the most extreme sports. Want smaller files then reduce them while shooting. In my opinion anything above 15fps is overkill.

Raising the resolution for pro-sports will be a sea change. One that we've been waiting for.

Canon will make more money on glass by far as we swap out 70-200, 200, 300, 400, 600 and 200-400's.

Now note each kit requires 2-3 bodies and a full set of big whites.

If Canon makes the R1 with equal resolution to the A1, they will make a fortune!

I would think $8K to 10K based on the IQ. If not 50MP no way we're buying the bodies or all new glass kits.

Upvote 0
Hey people I work as a DIT and I just got off a Chanel jewelry shoot and the director/photographer from Paris was shooting here in LA on an iphone 12 meaning he was working on 3 shoots at the same time and the assistants had an iphone setup with a laptop with his face on it. In Tokyo, Paris, and LA this camera will not be needed in a couple of years at least for advertising, they won't need me either as the shots were shot raw and sent to NY or Paris.

Upvote 0
Red Komodo has 6K global shutter already with good dynamic range so definitely seems doable - if they can do it Canon should be able also.
yes, but video DR and stills photography DR are two different things.. they can play a little fast and loose with video. much more problematic with stills.

But .. a stills sensor, global shutter with 1 more EV than the R5 sensor? and twice as fast as the R5 sensor. it's only doable if it's a stacked sensor.

I wrote up my thoughts on it.. TLDR; this rumor came out 4 weeks early ;)

Upvote 0