Here are some crazy Canon EOS R1 specifications [CR0]

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
It'll most likely be 36-40 mpx, stacked CMOS, no LPF(hopefully), 30 fps 12bit compressed, 20 fps lossless 14bit - just like the Sony a1.
The biggest thing/hope for me is the AF in video getting as good as the Photo AF, so again, hopefully, the QP will answer that prayer:)
85mpx GS in 10 years? Maybe. As of now is a total BS.
I'd buy that camera especially if the sensor readout speed is on par with the Sony A1 (or even in the 1/150s-1/180s range), and Canon makes a compelling 600mm prime offering along with it. I'd probably order the camera and dream about owning the prime.

And I'd be much happier with 36MP than with 85MP. 85MP might be great for landscape and, possibly, for studio work, but out in the field, 36-45MP is plenty.

Upvote 0
If the Sony A1 is worth $6500 (and in my book it isn't) the this is easily worth $8500.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. No one is comparing the Sony A1 to the 1DX mk III or the Nikon D6. They're comparing it to the R5, which isn't even close to the same price point. Sony usually puts out a great product, but they basically put out an A9III with a 1DX price tag.

Upvote 0
The only thing that comes close is the list price of US$ 8.500 :) Good luck Canon....
People buy the EF 600mm f4L at $13k... $8.5k might not be that hard of a sell to the people in the target demographic. I on the other hand will wait until 2030, when my second mortgage could buy a used/refurbished one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
$8500 also happens to be how much you are going to need to spend on hard drives to hold all those photos at 85mb and 20fps you will take.
Hard drive space is pretty cheap these days.
I"m already shooting on a 100MP sensor camera and it isn't that bad.

I will admit, I son't spray and pray as much as I used to, and I'm more choosey about what images I keep, but that's something everyone should likely shoot for as a photographer anyway, eh?

It sure is nice to have that extra "room" in case you want to crop in on a shot and/or reframe it and have no perceptible change in resolution.

C

Upvote 0
The Red Komodo manages around 12 stops. Not bad for a global shutter, but nowhere near their silly 16 plus stops marketing hype claims.

If Canon can manage better than 14 usable stops, this camera would be the new benchmark.

Komodo claims 16 stops plus. Surf over to the Red website. Okay people argue it's not really 16+ but they claim 16+ just like the rumour.

The bigger issue is the Komodo is a crop sensor.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
A 21MP quad-pixel sensor would have 84MP pixels of course which could in theory have a special mode that could record each sub-pixel separately. And it would seem a waste of a quad pixel set up if you didn't have a dual or quad gain set up to improve DR. So whilst there are elements that could be true but it does have the smell of a wild optimist/attention-seeker! Mind you some of R5 rumours sounded pretty wild at the start
I guess there will be people who could use a camera that switched 21/85MP, I can't see 85MP being of particular interest to the majority of the professional market though

Perfect Olympic camera.

Dual cards slots:

1st card gets RAW at 85MP. 2nd card gets sampled 21MP that you WiFi to your publisher. The "small" files goes onto the website or into the magazine that day, the large file exists for later when you pick the your best image of thousands for printing huge posters to sell to kids for their rooms.

All from one camera body.

This makes surprising sense from the work-flow perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A 21MP quad-pixel sensor would have 84MP pixels of course which could in theory have a special mode that could record each sub-pixel separately. And it would seem a waste of a quad pixel set up if you didn't have a dual or quad gain set up to improve DR. So whilst there are elements that could be true but it does have the smell of a wild optimist/attention-seeker! Mind you some of R5 rumours sounded pretty wild at the start
I guess there will be people who could use a camera that switched 21/85MP, I can't see 85MP being of particular interest to the majority of the professional market though
Not according to Canon's description of the Dual Pixel, they do not consider an individual photodiode to be a pixel. Specifically they say

intro-to-dual-pixel-autofocus-rs2a.jpg

intro-to-dual-pixel-autofocus-rs1.jpg

Now I am sure there are going to be another round of photodiodes vs pixel threads but bare in mind the R5 has 47 million pixels and 94 million photodiodes, yet the marketing has never pushed that as anything other than a 45mp sensor.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
$8500 also happens to be how much you are going to need to spend on hard drives to hold all those photos at 85mb and 20fps you will take.
2021 called. They want you to know that 16TB externals are only about $200 - peanuts when talking about cameras costing $4000 or more.
I chuckle when I hear people griping about battery prices for their R5 too. $79 for the real deal recommended battery for your $4000 camera?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

eosbob

Motorsports Photographer
I don't know why so many people are shocked at the price. I think I paid near that for my EOS-1Ds Mk I MkII and MkIII.
The 1DX Mk III is going for $6499 and I bought my Mk II for $5699. $8500 is not near those prices. Hell, you could buy any 1D X and a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II for less and still get tack sharp images. It will have to be a banger of a camera before I would even think about it, and even then I would want to wait for at least 6 months to see how it goes. Think I will just buy a Mk III. I already have an R5 for high res shots.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Wrong way around - get the lens first, and match that to whatever you've got (assuming you have an R body) and then get a better camera later. Bodies come and go, lenses are (almost) forever :cool:
I hear you, and that's normally good advice especially if the camera and lens were priced similarly. However, the 600mm prime is very likely to cost 2x that of the R1, which may put it forever in dream territory.

I already have the 100-500L, which is a very nice lens especially in good light. My photography life won't end if I'm unable to supplement it with a nice prime. Meanwhile, if the R1 performs as well or nearly as well as does the Sony A1, then that body will make my 100-500L a better lens while I continue to dream about the 600mm prime. :giggle:

Last edited:
Upvote 0