Here are the Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip, Canon WFT-R10 Wifi Grip & LP-E6NH Battery

May 12, 2015
Well WiFi is the wireless networking for computers with a range of about 100 yards. So it is not independently off to the internet like a phone's cellular service. So yes, the WiFi module needs to connect to some kind of hotspot.
As to what it connects to, that remains to be seen. It almost certainly connects to one or the other at a time: (1) Canon's cloud service or (2) your phone/laptop/tablet/home wifi for the app of your choice. As for anywhere else, you know how at a coffee shop or such they usually have 'connect to our home page and accept terms of service' before you can use their WiFi? It would be impressive if these cameras had an interface to do that but hey, they just might.
Canon's cloud service has its own connectivity or do you connect to it from your own service provider. I am thinking the Kindle model, where you can download a book without your internet being available. I've not used the service so I am not clear as to how you access it or if you can "in the field."

Upvote 0

JoeDavid

Unimpressed
Feb 23, 2012
I wonder if the grips have the USB-C charging that Canon included with the grip for the R. I have one on my R and it is one big grip. I don’t have small hands and it’s a handful for me. I’m not sure the charging is worth it since it charges the two batteries sequentially and seems like it is a little slower than the wall charger.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
Canon's cloud service has its own connectivity or do you connect to it from your own service provider. I am thinking the Kindle model, where you can download a book without your internet being available. I've not used the service so I am not clear as to how you access it or if you can "in the field."

Some Kindles have mobile phone connection that can communicate with cellphone towers and download books even without a WiFi connection. Canon's cloud service is just a service and I doubt it the cameras (or the wireless transmitters) will have the same cell phone tower communication capabilities you are referring to.

Again, it's a hardware capability you are referring to, not a software/service capability.

Hope this answers your question.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Yea my guess:

BG-grip: $300 or $350 (typical introduce price for grip is 10% of the camera body, and then round down a bit (even though the body price has nothing to do with the grip manufacturing cost)

WFT-grip: $500

I say more than that!

I'm thinking around the £1000/$1000 mark myself judging by the cost of the WFT-E9 WiFi dongle for the 1DXIII

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Those Kindles use cellular service like a cell phone. Canon's cloud service needs to be accessed over the internet. So you'll need to connect the camera to a hotspot such as a phone when in the field, provided the field is not out in the mountains where you can't get a signal.

Upvote 0