Here are the Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip, Canon WFT-R10 Wifi Grip & LP-E6NH Battery

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
The specs for the R5 say it already has Wi-Fi built into the body. Why would it need a Wi-Fi grip?
https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r5

2 totally different beasts. Most fotogs have complained that WTF transmitter for the 1d x is not avalaible for the 5d etc.
This addresses that complaint.
Leaving the new complaint to be......the cost.
If it is priced reasonably, I think it will be a big hit.
If it is priced in 1k area, it will be select few pros only that will spend for it

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I say more than that!

I'm thinking around the £1000/$1000 mark myself judging by the cost of the WFT-E9 WiFi dongle for the 1DXIII

1DX3 is also almost twice the body cost.

The grips and wifi dongles are not based on the manufacturing costs, they are based on marketing and the relative body price. Actual manufacturing costs for those accessories are somewhere $30-$50.

Having $1000 for wifi grip when body is <$4000,.... it would not sell well. I'm still guessing $500.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Another question will be: How much will my wallet be drained by this gripn and the batteries?
There
1DX3 is also almost twice the body cost.

The grips and wifi dongles are not based on the manufacturing costs, they are based on marketing and the relative body price. Actual manufacturing costs for those accessories are somewhere $30-$50.

Having $1000 for wifi grip when body is <$4000,.... it would not sell well. I'm still guessing $500.
most people wouldnt buy it anyway, hence the premium price to make up for the lack of sales.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
most people wouldnt buy it anyway, hence the premium price to make up for the lack of sales.

The mark-up is so much that I do think they want to drive sales numbers, especially for Canon grip instead of 3rd party grips. I'm sure you right about "most" people not buying one, but even if they get 10% of R5 buyers to get grip for some $200-400 profit, that's plenty money. If the sales price is $1000 with some $900 in profit, the sales would be crazy low. I'm sure someone at Canon did the calculation to find the sweet spot between expected sales and profit margin.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was about two months without a card reader for the 1DXIII and the native WiFi transfer was pretty slow and almost unusable. Has anyone used the external dongle and was it any good?
I think the R5 grip will be expensive as they won’t sell many and those that need it will pay the price to get it.
It won't touch the speed transfer of a USB-C cable or even an Ethernet cable.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The mark-up is so much that I do think they want to drive sales numbers, especially for Canon grip instead of 3rd party grips. I'm sure you right about "most" people not buying one, but even if they get 10% of R5 buyers to get grip for some $200-400 profit, that's plenty money. If the sales price is $1000 with some $900 in profit, the sales would be crazy low. I'm sure someone at Canon did the calculation to find the sweet spot between expected sales and profit margin.
the eos r grip was ridiculously overpriced when it came out

Upvote 0
I like the ethernet bump on the WFT-R10, I wonder if the whole image sending/tethering will get improved or only adds image.canon support.
Agree good looking and very functional grips, good thing Canon boosted the battery capacity but well done keeping same shape and compatibility for the previous batteries.

Very good thinking and innovation Canon.

Upvote 0
I wonder if the grips have the USB-C charging that Canon included with the grip for the R. I have one on my R and it is one big grip. I don’t have small hands and it’s a handful for me. I’m not sure the charging is worth it since it charges the two batteries sequentially and seems like it is a little slower than the wall charger.

Am hoping usb-c charging can happen while camera is on and running, so I can finally use it for running remote camera for days at a time.

Upvote 0