Here is everything that you need to know about tomorrow’s big day from Canon

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Time behind bars for a breach of contract. That is pretty rough. I guess it may depend on the jurisdiction of governing law, but I don't expect any country under which these NDA's were contracted would give jail time, but who knows?
You would be correct about jail time. NDA is a civil contract, you’d not get jail time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Sorry, but I still think that $6,000 is too high for this. $5,500 would be more in line. Pro or not, camera sales are still going down. This might just encourage more buyers to get the R5 instead. And where does this leave the yet to be announced (or finished) R1 Canon has pretty much said is coming? $7,500, $8,000, $8,500?

that’s already in larger format territory. Is this a hint as to that from Canon? The speculation over that just won’t die. I can’t see a FF camera hiking that high these days. What super features could it have that would justify that kind of pricing? That is, realistically?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Anyone else wonder why Canon would unveil the R3 on iPhone 13 day. Seems like another marketing fail (8k/overheating in r5)
if you ask me.

Depending on what Apple releases the R3 could be just a blip on the radar.
I guess they just didn’t coordinate before hand. Lol.

The markets are different. Is TVS launching a new scooter tomorrow also a marketing fail?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Is that because, “Snitches get stitches.”? I’ve never been to prison, but I’d be surprised if they were referring to camera gear.
You're right, this has nothing to do with camera gear, but someone upstream mentioned that you can go to prison for violating an NDA and someone else questioned that. In some special cases, you CAN go to prison. Fortunately this isn't one of them.

As for spies...remember this would be for dropping classified info, that makes you a "traitor" and oddly enough prison inmates tend to have a strong patriotic impulse.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sorry, but I still think that $6,000 is too high for this. $5,500 would be more in line. Pro or not, camera sales are still going down. This might just encourage more buyers to get the R5 instead. And where does this leave the yet to be announced (or finished) R1 Canon has pretty much said is coming? $7,500, $8,000, $8,500?

that’s already in larger format territory. Is this a hint as to that from Canon? The speculation over that just won’t die. I can’t see a FF camera hiking that high these days. What super features could it have that would justify that kind of pricing? That is, realistically?
Perhaps the higher price is to make the R3 a more direct competitor to their own 1Dxiii. There was huge demand for the latter, but Canon obviously wants as many people as possible to switch to RF mount so they can sell more lenses. All this stuff from Canon about the R3 *not* being their flagship camera is pure baloney, it's just a message that something even better (the R1) is in the pipeline. So despite their proclamations, the R3 most definitely is their flagship camera, and will remain so for about another 18 months. Then the R1 will be launched - and yes, IMO it will cost $8K+.

As for "What super features could it have that would justify that kind of pricing", realistically I think we can expect:

global shutter (zero rolling shutter artefacts, flash sync at all speeds)
45MP+
8K with no overheating or time limit
new class of high performance battery
faster and more advanced data transmission
twin CF Express slots
higher magnification EVF with faster refresh rates
more powerful twin processors

... and possibly an entirely different body design (as per recent patents)

The price will put the R1 beyond the reach of almost all amateurs, but in all seriousness $8K isn't a huge amount of money for a *business* buyer - just look at the cost of big whites...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Honest question: with or without massive focus breathing? I really like the 1.2m MFD on the 100-500, but at MFD on the long end it's more like a 290mm, AlanF measured it a while back.
I can't find all my results. But, I have one set of calculations that has the 100-400mm II dropping to 178mm at mfd and the 100-500mm to 224mm fully extended.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I guess they just didn’t coordinate before hand. Lol.

The markets are different. Is TVS launching a new scooter tomorrow also a marketing fail?
Considering the tech outlets are a primary source of marketing and the iPhone is the most used camera in the world yes.

Think of every tech site what the story would be if they released today or last week vs tomorrow. There is a premium to be above the fold on a website. Engadget, YouTube, Google(news), will be dominated by iPhone news.

The only good thing that could come out of it is supply is short and there will be more than enough interest to fill the capacity to fill orders.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The price will put the R1 beyond the reach of almost all amateurs, but in all seriousness $8K isn't a huge amount of money for a *business* buyer - just look at the cost of big whites...

Where do people get these ideas? As someone recently pointed out, the average professional photographer earns about $41,000 annually. The top 1% are earning around $70,000.

And, seriously, do you really think more "big whites" are bought by professionals than enthusiasts?

Enthusiasts are only constrained by their disposable income. Professionals have to earn a return on their purchases.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Considering the tech outlets are a primary source of marketing and the iPhone is the most used camera in the world yes.

Think of every tech site what the story would be if they released today or last week vs tomorrow. There is a premium to be above the fold on a website. Engadget, YouTube, Google(news), will be dominated by iPhone news.

The only good thing that could come out of it is supply is short and there will be more than enough interest to fill the capacity to fill orders.
LOL. How many R3 buyers are turning to Google(news) to get information on the release? If the R3 market is checking anywhere it's going to be photography-focused sites like DPReview, where the 40th iteration of nearly identical iPhones is going to be no more than a blip.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Is that new? I pre-ordered my 1D X about an hour after it went live, and from what I can tell I got mine in the first batch.
I'm pretty sure you know he's full of it.

Logic suggests that Canon sets a deadline for the initial batch of orders -- telling retailers they need to get their orders in by Sept. X for the first shipment. Since Canon discounts the price based on volume, I imagine the large stores like B&H, Adorama and Amazon have a good idea already what their initial sales will be. They probably track them initially to see if actual orders are meeting or exceeding expectations and then submit their orders once they are comfortable that they can order enough to get the largest available discount, ordering a certain number or percentage of units above their pre-orders.

Unfortunately, with all the supply chain issues currently, Canon may not be able to fulfill the full order with the first shipment and probably sends out partial orders as they become available.

Upvote 0