How many people actually like the EOS-M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Sony RX100 right now. While it's a great camera, there's a couple of things that bother me. I don't like how any selected settings apply to all modes (manual focus, focus peaking, white balance). I shoot a lot of video and it always catches me off guard when I switch from video mode back to aperture priority. Also, the front ring is not as easy to manual focus with during video like I thought it would be. Overall, I don't use the camera as much as I would like to because it's sometimes a hassle.

When I first bought the RX100, I briefly considered the EOS-M, and quickly dismissed it due to bad reviews and high price. Now, the price is almost half what it was before. There's also a new firmware coming out claiming to improve AF speeds. I think the larger sensor, detachable lenses, and mic input would be an advantage over the RX100. Also, the ability to attach ND filters would help me greatly too. For those of you that own an EOS-M, do you enjoy shooting with it? Is the AF that bad? I've heard some people go as far as saying it's defective from the factory.

I heard rumors that a new model may be released in late summer, but it surely won't be priced as low as the current model.

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I have one as a back up small shooter, for that purpose it's Ok, I haven't found any major issues with it, takes a reasonable Image, for what it is, I paid the full price, so at 50% it's probably not a bad deal.

But, as the previous Poster mentioned, it would be a much better piece of gear with a Viewfinder, when the new one comes out later this year I will probably get one, just for the viewfinder and again, for me it's a pocket back up Camera.

My main Cameras are the 1Dx and 5DMK III, as a Main Camera, the M in it's current set up may not be as good as other offers currently on the Market.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Rofflesaurrr said:
For those of you that own an EOS-M, do you enjoy shooting with it?
YES! Absolutely.
Rofflesaurrr said:
Is the AF that bad?
Absolutely not ... AF is not as fast as a DSLR but it is definitely not "bad" ... yes it is slow if AF tracking is enabled but once you disable it, AF is very quick. But Canon has announced a firmware upgrade that is supposed to make it 2.3 time faster than it's current speed (the FW upgrade is due towards the end of this month). But I do not have the zoom 18-55mm lens, I only use the EOS-M with 22mm f/2 prime lens. My main purpose of purchasing EOSM + 22mm f/2 lens was to take photos in dimly lit situations such as restaurants or indoor gatherings of family etc where lighting conditions are poor and carrying the big 5D MK III just looks intrusive ... so far EOS-M with the 22mm f/2 lens has performed brilliantly and I have no complaints.
Rofflesaurrr said:
I've heard some people go as far as saying it's defective from the factory.
Maybe those people are just jinxed ;D

Attachments

• EOS-M f4.5 ISO 800.jpg
    EOS-M f4.5 ISO 800.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 2,934
  • EOS-M f22 ISO 6400.jpg
    EOS-M f22 ISO 6400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,043
Upvote 0
I had the rx100 until a few days ago, which I sold for a fuji x100s, also bought my girlfriend the EOS M for double the price of what it is at now when it first came out...
The M is a great little camera and I like it alot, the slow auto focus doesn't bother me too much, it's just when it hunts for no reason where the problem is, even if you're shooting the exact same shot on a tripod, it'll hunt for focus before it locks in again. Don't bother using it for moving subjects but for stills it does great, and I can't wait for the firmware upgrade!
Also at the price point now, I've seen it sub $350 aud for twin lens kit, it's a great bargain.
The handling is great, it feels solid, the touch screen is amazing, the menu and controls are familiar and easy to use, it looks nice, and with the pancake lens it's sort've compact. Plus you can play with Canon lenses on it..

If I still had my rx100 and didn't have the eos m already, I'd swap my rx100 for a new eos m in a heart beat after the firmware update.

The Fuji x100s on the other hand........ that's a whole different beast of it's own!

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

When I first handled a gf-1 I changed my mind about mirrorless, but I wanted to hold back and see what canon came up with, as I was already in that system.

I'm glad I did.

The M was not designed or marketed to replace my DSLR. And it certainly lives up to that expectation.

But then the same is true of sony nex's and the m43 cameras ( with their funny shaped sensors and wasted resolution)

It's a solid camera with intuitive os but horrifically slow af out the box.
In green mode. The af is trying to cover too large an area and be too intelligent.

This is the crux of the m's problem: the folk who least understand af are served by the weakest option.

However, if you have dabbled with your dslr or slr af controls before, and spend 5 minutes reading the correct pages of the manual, you can set the camera up so the af is a lot quicker, albeit slightly more involved.

This is the second problem the M has faced. I don't think 99% of reviewers or online assassins have actually tried an M with different AF settings, I sincerely don't, as their experience is so far removed from mine.

Whenever I read threads on the next m or wished for features, folk are basically describing a leica m9 crossed with a contax g2.

Canon were never going to make such a niche product in a million years.
And it has never been marketed at serious users. On the canon uk site it's listed as a beginners eos.
Its fir powershot users stepping up, not 1dx users stepping down.

Canon have got their marketing mix wrong, the powershot users will be failed by the hopeless green square af, but get beyonf the green square, set up one shot af, set up flexi-zone single cell, turn continual af off, be prepared to point and recompose on occassion and the biggest scandal about the m is revealed: it's an unfairly maligned little camera, that is capable of fantastic images, particularly from the sharp bright 22mm.

Upvote 0
For all its atrocious reviews, I actually like the M. I'm planning to get one but after I get a 6D. I'll replace my G11 with it. I'm guessing that an 18-55 lens will suffice for most applications where I don't plan to bring my DSLR. Hopefully, the next version will have a built-in flash. I like having something for fill-in flash. The viewfinder isn't much a problem for most of the time since I'm actually using my G11's viewfinder around 5% of the time only. If the 90EX will just be a little bit smaller and cheaper, it'll be enough. AF wise, it's not a problem really unless you're shooting action.

Upvote 0
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I bought it as a successor to my 30D. My opinion?

- Autofocus - I'll deal with this first. If you're experienced with a DSLR you quickly learn how to work around the M's limitations in that department. I shoot my daughters sports (equestrian, soccer, etc.. ) and I'm getting better pictures out of the M than I did with the 30D. Read the manual, or, there's a very good YouTube video out there explaining the workaround.

- Buttons/Menu - Again, if your experienced shooting in manual, or AV mode, with a Canon DSLR, it is really easy to use the touch screen menu. I find it just as easy... in a different way. For those having problems - Read The Instructions for God's sake! I think that a beginner might find the touch-screen menu a bit overwhelming. One drawback is the body is so small that it is easy to accidentally change settings just by holding the camera.

- Viewfinder - Personally I don't miss my dim 30D viewfinder, and on the M I can pinch-to-zoom with the viewfinder to fine-tune manual focus, which is an amazing feature once you try it. The LCD screen brightness can be boosted to make shooting in the sunlight better.

- Lenses - I've got an investment in 'L' glass, so I bought the EF lens adapter. I don't notice any autofocus difference between the native lens (17-55 kit lens) and the EF70-200L, or the EF-135L. If I didn't already have the EF lenses though, I doubt I would have purchased the M.

- Picture Quality - I get the picture quality of a 60D/7D for a fraction of the price (499 $CAD with the 17-55 IS kit lens and flash). What's not to like. Noise reduction at high ISO is very good.

- Battery - I admit it. Battery life sucks. Especially since you have to crank up the LCD brightness when outdoors. You have to get a second battery.

The more I use the M the more I like it. Yea, the autofocus is slow, but actually it is almost on par with my old 30D. I love the small size, low weight, of the M. With the 70-200 attached, it handles wonderfully by holding by cradling the lens. It balances perfectly - better than the 30D.

If the firware speeds up autofocus, it will be perfect!

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Rienzphotoz said:
Rofflesaurrr said:
For those of you that own an EOS-M, do you enjoy shooting with it?
YES! Absolutely.
Rofflesaurrr said:
Is the AF that bad?
Absolutely not ... AF is not as fast as a DSLR but it is definitely not "bad" ... yes it is slow if AF tracking is enabled but once you disable it, AF is very quick. But Canon has announced a firmware upgrade that is supposed to make it 2.3 time faster than it's current speed (the FW upgrade is due towards the end of this month). But I do not have the zoom 18-55mm lens, I only use the EOS-M with 22mm f/2 prime lens. My main purpose of purchasing EOSM + 22mm f/2 lens was to take photos in dimly lit situations such as restaurants or indoor gatherings of family etc where lighting conditions are poor and carrying the big 5D MK III just looks intrusive ... so far EOS-M with the 22mm f/2 lens has performed brilliantly and I have no complaints.
Rofflesaurrr said:
I've heard some people go as far as saying it's defective from the factory.
Maybe those people are just jinxed ;D

That dog looks a bit excited!

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I'm one of those who jumped on board...and the more I use it, the more I like it. I didn't buy it as a DSLR replacement but as a compliment to my DSLR (and a replacement to the previous P&S I was using). Compared to the P&S the M is a true upgrade...not always in terms of IQ (indoors with the 18-55, often times it's a wash...) but in terms of color reproduction and clarity. MILES ahead of P&S and on par with my old 60D. That is the biggest difference I see. It truly IS DSLR (APS-C level) quality trapped in a P&S body. Unfortunately, the one downside is in terms of AF performance...it is adequate for most situations but sometimes it will just hunt for no reason at all, even in good light. Has caused me to miss shots sometimes. Stops a very good camera from becoming a great one.

If the firmware gets rid of this "hunting" phenomenon, and Canon comes out with more M lenses, this could be a winner...

To summarize, pros and cons:

Pros

- Great image quality (provided you use the right lens in the right situation)
- Small size; easy to carry around as a DSLR backup or to a party, draws less attention to you as the photographer
- Very useful "tap to focus" feature...(often times this is easier and faster than selecting focus points on a DSLR). Allows more freedom for composition
- Screen automatically brightens or darkens based on exposure you set (when in manual mode)...great pre-shot "instant feedback" you don't get with a DSLR (unless in live view)

Cons

- Focus hunts at times, even in decent light
- Switching modes via touchscreen can involve more steps than necessary - a dial would have been nice...even Powershots have one!
- Can be hard to view screen in bright daylight (no viewfinder to fall back on)
- Battery life could be better

Upvote 0
Alright, so I decided I'm going to switch to the EOS-M. I put my RX100 kit up on eBay for $499 and it sold in a half hour. After the buyer receives it, and is satisfied, I'll pull the trigger on the Canon. I'm going to get the kit with the 22mm pancake, and maybe the 11-22mm when it's released.

I know a lot of people are upset that it doesn't have a viewfinder, but it doesn't bother me. I find most of the viewfinders on compact cameras difficult to use due to them being so tiny. It might just be that I wear glasses, but usually I don't get along with viewfinders on anything smaller than a DSLR. The one on the 5D3 is splendid.

I was planning on purchasing from B&H. They have it listed for $479 with 4% rewards. However, I found a place through Google shopping called "42nd Street Photo" that has it listed for $438. Are these guys legitimate, or is this grey market stuff with no warranty? They seem to have good reviews on ResellerRatings.com

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Rofflesaurrr said:
I was planning on purchasing from B&H. They have it listed for $479 with 4% rewards. However, I found a place through Google shopping called "42nd Street Photo" that has it listed for $438. Are these guys legitimate, or is this grey market stuff with no warranty? They seem to have good reviews on ResellerRatings.com
When you say "legitimate", are you referring to them being Canon Authorized Dealer? if yes, no they are not Canon Authorized Dealer as per the attached list released by Canon on 3rd June 2013.

Attachments

• CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf
    416.5 KB · Views: 1,528
Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Rofflesaurrr said:
When you say "legitimate", are you referring to them being Canon Authorized Dealer? if yes, no they are not Canon Authorized Dealer as per the attached list released by Canon on 3rd June 2013.

Thanks for that list. I'll be sure to avoid them and go with B&H.

Upvote 0
I like it a lot! I have the 18-55, the 22 and the EF adapter (and soon the 11-22). It is a great complement to my 5DIII and 7D which I use mostly with longer lenses for wildlife and for having a camera with me all the time. The resulting pics are slightly better then those from the 7D when using same lenses and settings (and using DPP to develop and apply lens corrections). The "focus problem" is a no issue for me since I only use single point and single shoot which works fine even under low light if there is any contrast to find - if not focus/recompose. The screen is fantastic and operation very quick afer a short period of learning the small differences to my other cams...

I think most of the persons that complain don't have the camera or used it only in "green mode" in a shop....

Upvote 0
I have it and I think its a great backup camera to my 5d and have even shot a couple of commercial jobs with it.
For the price and size it makes a perfect backup and takes up little space in a bag.
Aps-c complements full frame nicely as it gives one a different focal length option..ie my 24 ts becomes a 38mm TS on the Eos M
Lack of viewfinder is bad but in 'camera on tripod' situations the live view works well, so good for architecture, interiors studio etc.
Add an optical viewfinder ( I use the Leica one) with the 22mm and it becomes as good as anything out there except the slow af under certain conditions.
Hopefully the firmware update promised at the end of the month will improve matters.
I also have a Leica X1 and the Eos M is competitive on all fronts at 1/3rd of the price.
Really very small and build well, I have already dropped mine and works perfectly still
Is a great walkabout camera and in 'auto everything' mode works superbly well. In fact I think the best way to use this camera is in these auto modes as I have a sneaky suspicion that that's were the camera functions optimally. Go manual and it becomes more difficult. Having said that I use it with a stop down Mf mamiya lens via the adapter and it s pretty easy and convenient. As is using it with the 24ts from Canon.
I think its just going to get better and better and the only serious drawback is the AF and 'AF hunting', but I wouldn't call it horrible....perhaps the firmware update will sort out these problems.
As a backup or supplement it makes a lot of sense and 'normal' EF lenses work well.
As an only or first camera, well there it becomes more difficult and there are some compelling alternatives out there...but the Canon lenses seem to be better than the competition, certainly my 22f2 is a gem and apart from the CA, easily corrected, it is superb...

I have written a couple of reviews on this camera that can be found here at...http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2013/05/eos-m-reviewhigh-iso-noise-tests.html

I image shown here and the crop was made at a jazz concert with the 70-300L at 5000ISO....

Attachments

• EosM-1-460-f5.jpg
    EosM-1-460-f5.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 1,947
  • EosM-1-460-f5-crop.jpg
    EosM-1-460-f5-crop.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 1,951
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.