I just wanted to clarify things about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 from yesterday’s report

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
This is why they must do something, no matter how many people defend Canon and say they don't care about video etc Their market valuation is what the people at Canon will be going to bed and waking up thinking about. And its a nightmare.

Their Stock has been slammed since launch, and trading at 21 year low on very high volumes. Not since 1999 have we seen these valuations. Which means that analyst with alot more information than us, that have both industry and company specific data see this launch as a failure, that will negatively impact financials.

With valuations like this, they will do something, and the market is already pricing some of that in. These are the kind of things that lead to layoffs, I don't want to see people lose their jobs, I hope they solve it.

View attachment 191718

View attachment 191719

Every thread just bashing. We must do something? I'll be out shooting with my new R5 this weekend. You'll be here thinking you are saving the world trying to get the R5 changed into your perfect video camera instead of just buying a video camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I have read several rather nasty reports that the R5 is overheating while shooting stills. I want one primarily for wedding photography where I am going to shoot 2000+ frames in a day...many in rapid succession. Has anyone else heard of these problems?

Several? List each one. Were they 100% from youtube reviewers? I have one in hand will do my own tests rather than listening to garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I was really surprised by 3 things with my R5:

1. How warm the underside gets in normal operation. If my R or 5D MK IV did this, I never noticed it. I have a Sound Devices MixPre-II for field recording which mounts onto a tripod thread underneath your camera and I'm a little concerned about this, even though that thing is a beast.
2. How much mechanical movement/recalibration is happening CONSTANTLY. It's more like holding a photo-taking robot than a camera.
3. How absolutely dead-on incredible the total package for autofocus on stills is, even compared to my high expectations. I'm still having some issues trying to determine what combination of settings allows me to use high speed continuous, but in terms of single shot tests with my RF 50mm f/1.2, the focus is insane wide-open and the positive impact of IBIS on slow shutter shots was superb. I haven't pixel-peeped yet but what I was seeing on the screen was transcendentally amazing in totality, at how nailed exposure and white balance were, too. I'm pretty sure once I get a better handle of the various settings, I'm never going to have to think about non-creative settings ever again...i.e. do I use f/1.2 for defocused backgrounds or stop down to f/2.8 for more detail in the corners...not "what's my best combo of all settings in this low light to "get the shot".

I don't really like the way you have to flip it to and from video mode, but I will rarely use video and rarely change the settings (I pretty much expect to use 4k 30p non-HQ all the time) so it's not really a big deal.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
IMO this is a bit overblown. BUT...

I think the issue is that in pre-announcing the camera, Canon marketed the 8K as a main feature, rather than the niche feature it really is. The camera is fine, but it was made out to be something it really was not. I think they may have been feeling the pressure from the market and caved. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you feel that way), it’s coming back to haunt them.

Think the design is fine, but Marketing failed them big time here. I can’t help but wonder if heads will roll...

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Several? List each one. Were they 100% from youtube reviewers? I have on in hand will do my own tests rather than listening to garbage.

I have only lightly shot it in my air-conditioned house thus far, but it was getting pretty warm just shooting. I am a little concerned about having to shoot a lot of frames in 85 degree sunlight TBH but I'll wait to see the reports.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I think the issue is that in pre-announcing the camera, Canon marketed the 8K as a main feature, rather than the niche feature it really is. The camera is fine, but it was made out to be something it really was not. I think they may have been feeling the pressure from the market and caved. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if you feel that way), it’s coming back to haunt them.

Think the design is fine, but Marketing failed them big time here. I can’t help but wonder if heads will roll...

What if they had marketed 8K video as the ability to record snippets from which you can pull the HQ frame you want out of it, even better than holding the shutter down at 20 fps? And then people organically discovered they could get actual raw video out of that functionality? People would have flipped out.

Upvote 0
I think Canon Rumors and PetaPixel need to collect themselves. Online journalism is still journalism, and there are norms that are being violated.

Specifically, there are no "reports" that there is going to be a recall. There is no source - other than personal speculation - that Canon has any intent whatsoever to provide a fix for any perceived problems. Because Canon Rumors is a rumors site, it often uses first person voice to describe what it's been told. In this instance, it did not vary its voice, nor its attribution pattern, when speculating about some fairly radical action it thinks Canon might take. Of course this becomes a "report" in another (lax) editorial site.

Petapixel is considered a trusted news feeder to Google News and other aggregators. There are now real, tertiary stories being done about the Petapixel report on a report by Canon Rumors Guy about a report by some vlogger. In each of these cases, there is a breakdown in source disclosure policy. I wouldn't be able to get any of this BS past any of my editors from back when I was slinging copy.

The proper news here is that Canon A) released a camera that is has short duration video capabilities in certain formats, and B) may not reach stated capabilities regarding cooling and time (though Canon did use weasel phrasing), and C) isn't it fun to watch video people have hissies before they go buy the A7S3, which will make them much happier. Pick one of those angles, but if you're going to make a new one with a "I wonder if..", then call it that.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

Would be great if you could test this yourself and report back to us as those tests were all done on pre-production cameras.
Great summary. Just one thing, I think Gerald has production models of both the R5 and R6, at least that's what he did his streaming test with yesterday:
(says production models in the description).

Several? List each one. Were they 100% from youtube reviewers? I have on in hand will do my own tests rather than listening to garbage.
Are you kidding me? There's enough reports on it right now. What if it is from "Youtubers", does that make the findings invalid?
The camera overheats in standby or sometimes when taking pictures. It's currently unredictable, but once the heat is "in" it can take hours to be able to use 4K120 even for a minute.

You'll be here thinking you are saving the world trying to get the R5 changed into your perfect video camera instead of just buying a video camera.
How is this helping? Noone is "saving the world" here. But it would be nice to be able to use the advertised functions reliably even in the middle of a shooting day, not only when the camera is fresh.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have read several rather nasty reports that the R5 is overheating while shooting stills. I want one primarily for wedding photography where I am going to shoot 2000+ frames in a day...many in rapid succession. Has anyone else heard of these problems?

Cut the guy a little slack. He's just asking before buying. Can't blame him for doing a little due diligence before plucking down $4,000, especially if he has to pay for it with weddings that are not exactly big business right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

What if they had marketed 8K video as the ability to record snippets from which you can pull the HQ frame you want out of it, even better than holding the shutter down at 20 fps? And then people organically discovered they could get actual raw video out of that functionality? People would have flipped out.
Yeah, but those people still would not be able to reliably record even a minute of 4k120 or 8k after half a shooting day.

I'm beginning to feel people are deliberately trying to miss the point why overheating is a problem. Everyone goes back to "how could you expect limitless 8k ololololol!", but really noone in their right mind expected that. However I did expect to be able to use the 4k120 mode intermittently throughout the day, which does not seem possible right now due to the heat retention.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is why they must do something, no matter how many people defend Canon and say they don't care about video etc Their market valuation is what the people at Canon will be going to bed and waking up thinking about. And its a nightmare.

Their Stock has been slammed since launch, and trading at 21 year low on very high volumes. Not since 1999 have we seen these valuations. Which means that analyst with alot more information than us, that have both industry and company specific data see this launch as a failure, that will negatively impact financials.

With valuations like this, they will do something, and the market is already pricing some of that in. These are the kind of things that lead to layoffs, I don't want to see people lose their jobs, I hope they solve it.

I believe this is more likely due to their quarterly results release which showed the first quarterly loss in history for them. New product launch issues could also contribute.

Upvote 0
What is the deal with that crazy stack of four external monitors at the back of the camera??

They were each 4k recorders, it needed four cutting edge 4k recorders to save 8k footage.

Plus a stitching process in post. Even last year they had an external recorder array with tether attached to the behemoth to record 8K RAW.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The camera overheats in standby or sometimes when taking pictures. It's currently unredictable, but once the heat is "in" it can take hours to be able to use 4K120 even for a minute.

My Camera is sitting at my desk while I work from home. The power is on and has been for an hour and I can still take photos, I can still record video.

This BS that the camera is overheating just sitting there needs to stop cause it is simply not true.

NO way NO how Canon would release the Camera without weeks of Soak testing the Camera.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2020
Just saw the Sony Northrup (borrowing this amusing moniker from someone who posted it elsewhere on these forums) that was very positive on the R5 stills capability. Makes we wish I could convince the wife we need one.

The video overheating is an issue, and not being a video guy I'm having a hard time finding sympathy or empathy for those crushed by it. I just don't understand. No one watches youtube at 8k, at least that I know, or often even 4k. I just have the impression people's expectations got too hyped up - like they went from not being able to record 8k at all to defining this instrument as garbage because it can only do 15-30min at a time. Similar for some of the 4k modes. But again, I freely admit I don't work in that space so I don't know what I may be missing here.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, Canon decides to do in terms of a fix if they really can't perform to spec.

-Brian
'Sony Northrup' ....love it!!

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I believe this is more likely due to their quarterly results release which showed the first quarterly loss in history for them. New product launch issues could also contribute.

Canon is a huge conglomerate, of which only a small portion is the camera business. If the R5 launch hype/response actually has anything to do with this stock price drop, it would be an equally small percentage of the reason.

-Brian

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Canon is a huge conglomerate, of which only a small portion is the camera business. If the R5 launch hype/response actually has anything to do with this stock price drop, it would be an equally small percentage of the reason.

-Brian
There biggest hurt is Axis is losing market share, Avigilon/MSI are taking it from them.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

My Camera is sitting at my desk while I work from home. The power is on and has been for an hour and I can still take photos, I can still record video.

This BS that the camera is overheating just sitting there needs to stop cause it is simply not true.

How is it nonsense when a lot of testers have found it to be true?
https://nofilmschool.com/testing-canon-r5-overheating
That guy did some serious tests...
Simply turning the camera on and using it will reduce the "maximum recording time" for each mode limited by heat.

Gerald Undone is one of the most neutral and thorough testers I've seen
More bad news about the R5. Every minute that you spend taking photos with it reduces the time you can shoot HQ video. Today I shot photos for 1 hour in 30C summer weather, and by the end of it, I switched to video and the overheat warning was on and 0 mins remaining due to heat.

Not quoting the video, but they found that the camera starts building up heat as soon as it's on.

But yeah, instead you're expecting people to take your word for gospel, with your camera sitting on your desk and probably in standby. :)
How many photos have you taken? How is the recording time in HQ modes? Is it ticking down at all? How long does the reovery take?
Simply stating "it's fine for me" is just burying the problem other people have experienced.

Again:
are a lot of people making too big of a deal out of this for clicks: yes, yes they are
does that mean their findings are wrong: not necessarily

Edit, since you added something while I wrote my reply:
NO way NO how Canon would release the Camera without weeks of Soak testing the Camera.
They might just have thought "it's fine" and not expected the rigorous testing and backlash. Or they just couldn't make it any better, in which case no recall could ever help. If it's just a design problem in terms of "our processor is too inefficient" or similar, then the R5 is what it is.

Upvote 0
I found out today that the R5 can take pictures. I was shook.

I'm getting the R5 for IBIS, resolution, and the audio annotation feature. I could care less about video. I'll keep my 5D Mark IV but sell my 5DS. I produced videos for 25 years and when I needed a photo, I took out my SLR/DSLR. There is no substitute for a "real" video camera.

Upvote 0