I just wanted to clarify things about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 from yesterday’s report

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
My Camera is sitting at my desk while I work from home. The power is on and has been for an hour and I can still take photos, I can still record video.

This BS that the camera is overheating just sitting there needs to stop cause it is simply not true.

NO way NO how Canon would release the Camera without weeks of Soak testing the Camera.

Can you grab a few minutes of 8K, 4K-HQ, or 4K 120 though? When I do sports shooting for friends they'll often do beer showers or stuff at the end, and I'd really want to be able to drop into 4K-120 for even a minute or two. This would be directly after hours (2-3k shots) of high speed shooting.

For me, personally, 1080/120 or 4K/60 would be fine but not exactly what canon told us in the dev announcement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
How is it nonsense when a lot of testers have found it to be true?
https://nofilmschool.com/testing-canon-r5-overheating
That guy did some serious tests...

Gerald Undone is one of the most neutral and thorough testers I've seen

Not quoting the video, but they found that the camera starts building up heat as soon as it's on.

But yeah, instead you're expecting people to take your word for gospel, with your camera sitting on your desk and probably in standby. :)
How many photos have you taken? How is the recording time in HQ modes? Is it ticking down at all? How long does the reovery take?
Simply stating "it's fine for me" is just burying the problem other people have experienced.

Again:
are a lot of people making too big of a deal out of this for clicks: yes, yes they are
does that mean their findings are wrong: not necessarily

Let me try and explain this again:

Are there features in the Camera that maybe thermal limited? YES
Does using any of these features render the Camera useless? NO (Ok you can not shot 8K or 4KHQ)

Gerald Undone's almost 3 hour stream showed this fact really really clearly.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Yeah, but those people still would not be able to reliably record even a minute of 4k120 or 8k after half a shooting day.

I'm beginning to feel people are deliberately trying to miss the point why overheating is a problem. Everyone goes back to "how could you expect limitless 8k ololololol!", but really noone in their right mind expected that. However I did expect to be able to use the 4k120 mode intermittently throughout the day, which does not seem possible right now due to the heat retention.

I don't think that's true. I can't confirm either way, but none of the information I've seen suggests it's THAT bad.

I understand why people find overheating to be an issue. I wasn't denying that in my suggested alternative marketing strategy. I just look at it like the CPU overclocking processor community - people take a great joy in getting 15% additional speed out of a processor than it was spec'ed at. People would not take a great joy if companies released standalone processors at the "overclocked" frequency and indicated one could not avoid crashing unless they also bought and implemented water cooling. Underpromising and overdelivering is a key part of marketing strategy as it relates to product performance and customer satisfaction.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

Let me try and explain this again:

Are there features in the Camera that maybe thermal limited? YES
Does using any of these features render the Camera useless? NO (Ok you can not shot 8K or 4KHQ)

Gerald Undone's almost 3 hour stream showed this fact really really clearly.
First of all: He was recording externally, that changes a lot.
And again, because you really, really seem to want to miss the point:
If I go out with the camera and start shooting anything, even non-limited modes, then they start to build up heat, which can make it impossible to use any mode above 4K30 at all.

How is that not being the case expecting too much. That means I can only ever use 4K120 at the start of a shooting day.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Can you grab a few minutes of 8K, 4K-HQ, or 4K 120 though? When I do sports shooting for friends they'll often do beer showers or stuff at the end, and I'd really want to be able to drop into 4K-120 for even a minute or two. This would be directly after hours (2-3k shots) of high speed shooting.

For me, personally, 1080/120 or 4K/60 would be fine but not exactly what canon told us in the dev announcement.
Right now I have 10m and 51sec of 8K video available. When I turned it on I had 10m and 51sec available.

My point is not to say the camera does not have limitation, my point is can we stick to the facts and not so and so youtube said x. Yes I am just some guy on a forum that does have some skin in the game(I own the Camera) but I can only say what I am seeing.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

I don't think that's true. I can't confirm either way, but none of the information I've seen suggests it's THAT bad.
Actually, GDs test did:

Also basically everyone testing the camera agreed that when the camera has heat built up, it will take hours to cool down. So it's not hard to find scenarios where that will prevent you from shooting any of the modes above 4K30.

• Wow
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I really think everyone needs to just take a time out. The constant back and forth flaming of one another is not going to resolve anything. There is sufficient evidence for a logical conclusion that the camera has some problems recording video at high resolution.

Let's stop denying that and attacking the messengers. That's as logical as saying we should stop testing for Coronavirus because if we test for it, it will show people have it.

On the other hand, it's ridiculous and you lose all credibility when you claim the camera is completely unusable or a disaster.

Those who pre-ordered and have their babies can make their own judgement. Confirmation bias will drive their decisions anyway. Those who have one on order can decide for themselves whether they want to keep their order or cancel.

For most of us who might consider the camera at some point in the future, it's going to be several months before it is readily available and even longer before it drops to a reasonable price, so we have plenty of time to let things sort themselves out.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Right now I have 10m and 51sec of 8K video available. When I turned it on I had 10m and 51sec available.

My point is not to say the camera does not have limitation, my point is can we stick to the facts and not so and so youtube said x. Yes I am just some guy on a forum that does have some skin in the game(I own the Camera) but I can only say what I am seeing.

Barring any huge gotchas now that the cameras are in the field, I'll be hitting the order button the moment my preorder hits. I am 90% stills, and my video work is quite predictable. I have been pleased as punch at my 5D4's performance as a video camera and expect the R5 to meet my needs.

Honestly—just trying to get my own expectations in line at this point and this point this forum is basically my best place to do so since folks here actually have the camera and for the most part are pretty agenda-free.

(vs our friends the northrups who decided that BANDING in all caps was the appropriate title card for a video that praises the IQ of the camera)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
First of all: He was recording externally, that changes a lot.
And again, because you really, really seem to want to miss the point:
If I go out with the camera and start shooting anything, even non-limited modes, then they start to build up heat, which can make it impossible to use any mode above 4K30 at all.

How is that not being the case expecting too much. That means I can only ever use 4K120 at the start of a shooting day.
I shot 249 pictures last night, I was testing multiple exposure mode and still had 15mins of 8k after I was done. I only shot 45 secs of 8K IPB cause I do not have my cfexpress card and just wanted to mess with editing it.

I am not missing your point I just think you are being extreme.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
If we are being realistic about the video issues, the problem lies in the unpredictability of the higher end modes. They work... but with too many different caveats. From a cold start, we can expect 8K30p, 4K60, Oversampled 4K30 & 4K120 to work anywhere from 15-30 minutes. In real world use though, it is very rare that we will be using the high end modes right off the bat.

You would expect to turn on the camera, shoot some photos, shoot some normal videos, and then you may decide to use one of the better quality modes. The issue is by spending some time in these non-critical modes, you eat up available resources so when it's time to use 8K or 4K120, at that point the camera may already be indicating that the available run time is shorter, and even worse, it may already indicate that the camera is too hot to operate in these modes. Imagine shooting a wedding reception and filming at a reasonable 4K24p... then an important part, like cake cutting, or a speech or something starts, I would want to switch to a higher quality mode to film this brief event... but, you might not be able to do that. That is painfully unreliable for client work. There's no waiting around to cool down, or re-takes in a scenario like this. There are only two ways to deal with this. Either 1) Be relegated to the fact that you will be topping out at 4K24p normal mode or 2) You will need additional gear. Either a second body that stays cold until its time for these high end shots or an external recorder, which would top out at 4K60. (Oversampled 4K would actually still overheat.)

As it is, the Camera will be fine if you can accept 4K30/24 in non oversampled mode. This is a step up for most Canon users anyway, since we are used to filming in FHD or 4K with a crop on an EOS R, 5DMkIV etc... Also, an external recorder like the Atomos Ninja V is a viable option as it allows up to 4K60p pretty much without limitation. (Again HQ 4K will overheat). But if you have any plans to use 8K, 4K120 or 4K Oversampled... it will require forethought and planning, because you may not be able to use these modes at any given time.

What can be done? I really doubt that there is a physical fix that is economically feasible for Canon. That leaves a firmware fix. In order to make this a success, we need reliable access to the higher end modes even after moderate use. I want to be able to shoot lower end modes and stills and know that once I switch it to 8K or 4K120 I can have 15 minutes of usage time no matter what. This might mean taking the limiter off it when I say I need it and accepting any consequences that may come with it. It's the same as running a car at redline. I won't always do it, but when I want or need to use it, let me do it. Hopefully it isn't that extreme and here's hoping that Canon was super conservative in the implementation of the automatic shut downs in overheated modes, and there is some room for dialing it back.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I have read several rather nasty reports that the R5 is overheating while shooting stills. I want one primarily for wedding photography where I am going to shoot 2000+ frames in a day...many in rapid succession. Has anyone else heard of these problems?
Several? Can you source? I know of one, and the guy was using an old LP-E6 battery with some interesting shooting conditions. There could be a battery compatibility issue with the camera with old batteries.

Upvote 0
Just want to hop on to say my R5 arrived yesterday! As a wedding photographer who has been using the 5D Mark IV and EOS R, it felt like forever for this camera to come out. I had very high expectations. All I can say, is it has exceeded my expectations in every way! My mind is blown. Not one issue. This camera is unreal! Completely different league from the Mark IV and R. Hats off to Canon. You delivered beyond what I was hoping for as a still photographers! Videos to come soon on my YouTube channel.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378221

I shot 249 pictures last night, I was testing multiple exposure mode and still had 15mins of 8k after I was done. I only shot 45 secs of 8K IPB cause I do not have my cfexpress card and just wanted to mess with editing it.

I am not missing your point I just think you are being extreme.
Look, I am not denying that it works for you, but why are you denying that it didn't work for the three sources I posted? They're far from the only ones, and while GD's results may have been the most severe (we don't know what the standby timer was at, nor how much heat the camera soaked, if it was allowed to go to standby at all etc), that doesn't mean they're invalid because that wasn't your specific experience.

Taking a photos at night is not the same as walking around in 30C weather and maybe hitting a bad combination of usage. Same with 4K30 building up heat over time (that one is confirmed as well) @BakaBokeh said it perfectly., the problem is reliability.

I am not saying the camera is unusable, I'll be looking forward to it, actually. What I'm saying is from all the reports it will be hard to use it reliably, and no amount of asterisks in Canon's announcements makes that ok in my book. :)

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
What if it's discovered that using a battery grip and external recorder fix many of the video issues? I haven't seen anyone testing video with a battery grip and, by most accounts, the battery is getting extremely hot in addition to the CFExpress card. As Tony Northrup has already demonstrated by his inability to know which model CFExpress card he had from ProGrade or the difference between magabits per second and megabyte per second....a lot of these testers may not be giving the camera a fair shake for its best performance.

I want to see this camera succeed and obviously Canon does as well...it will be fixed. We may actually be thanking these YouTubers when it's all said and done because the camera will be better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0